Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 05:23   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Snubber Hook

See also ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...bber-2380.html
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 05:38   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Snubber Hook

UK Rolling Hitch....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 16:11   #18

Devil's claw. Tonnage rating is higher than a cargo hook.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:01   #19

Re: Snubber hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It'll work just fine for holding the snubber... but when you need to haul in a hurry for some reason you'll start cussing...
The other type... sans clip... is better.. just slacken the snubber.. a quick shake and your good to start hauling in the chain...
Many things are recommended by folks working in chandlery stores... don't mean coz they sell the stuff they've ever set foot on a boat... never mind used the stuff they're promoting...
I agree wholeheartedly....when the wind pipes up and you are trying to leave, and your chain is bar tight as you're trying to release that fancy knot leaning over the bow on your knees...you'll wish you had the cargo hook..... just give it a shake once you retrieve the chain slack and you're gone!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I agree wholeheartedly....when the wind pipes up and you are trying to leave, and your chain is bar tight as you're trying to release that fancy knot leaning over the bow on your knees...you'll wish you had the cargo hook..... just give it a shake once you retrieve the chain slack and you're gone!
Just undo the belay on the cleat.

Or use the windlass to bring the rolling hitch to the bow roller.

BTW - with a sufficient length of snubber line the chain will not be bar hard.

And if the chain is bar hard, you are holding; why would you want to leave?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:13   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Cool. I hadn't heard of using a rolling hitch before. How easy is it to untie after being under load?
That's pretty much the classical way of tying on a snubber. One of the reasons is that the rolling hitch does not seize up under tension. That's because the final turn is ahead of the load on the hitch, and remains unstressed. I have never had the slightest problem untying a rolling hitch in decades of snubber duty.

Some variations:

* Make three or four, instead of two initial turns, before taking the rope above the standing part. This is sometimes recommended for highly loaded snubbers and I sometimes do it, although I've never had a snubber come undone even under huge stress, when the hitch has the usual two initial turns.

* Leave a longer tail and tie that off with a clove hitch. The idea is that this makes the hitch more secure because the tail can't whip around. Again, I am not convinced that this is really needed but I do do it sometimes.

The rolling hitch works particularly well on chain. The rope seems to interlock with the chain -- it's fantastic. Why people would ever want a hook I can't conceive, but to each his own of course.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:15   #22

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

witzgall,

How about using one of these. They come in a few different sizes.

Chain Grip Hook

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winchard chain grip.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	27777  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:20   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
You just pull in the chain with the windlass, bringing the snubber over the bow roller until the rolling hitch (never heard a sailor call that a "fancy knot" before!) is lying on deck. Untie at your leisure. Simples.

I always tie and untie snubbers on deck. Leaning over the pulpit to mess with the chain is one of the most efficient ways known to man to go overboard!
Old 25-05-2011, 09:28   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
(never heard a sailor call that a "fancy knot" before!)
On the Van Isle 360 in 2007 I used a rolling hitch to release an override that occurred when a genoa sheet bowline came undone as we tacked for the finish line at Hardwicke Island and when we tacked back ...

My skipper had not seen a rolling hitch used before, and asked me to teach him "some of those fancy knots."

The rolling is one of 10 knots that I teach; and one that I use often.
Old 25-05-2011, 09:55   #25

I meant the chain is bar tight when you've taken up the slack to remove the snubber. Dont you have to untie the snubber to get the chain in through the hawse pipe? (if you're leaving) I dont know...seems like somtimes you have to leave... Like the time I was comfortably anchored in 15 ft. all alone in a little bay in the Sea of Cortez. Just after dark the Chubasco started blwing 50mph. Steep Wind waves were up to about 4 ft, snubber stretching to the point that the chain was jerking bar tight, dark out. Fortunately I take a hand bearing for an exit plan whenever I anchor... It's just nice to get that snubber off fast... To each his own though...whatever works for you is the best plan..
Old 25-05-2011, 10:14   #26

Quote:
I meant the chain is bar tight when you've taken up the slack to remove the snubber. Dont you have to untie the snubber to get the chain in through the hawse pipe?
Yes the snubber must come off. Like Dockhead I bring in enough to get the subber over the ow roller and then untie it.

Quote:
(if you're leaving) I dont know...seems like somtimes you have to leave... Like the time I was comfortably anchored in 15 ft. all alone in a little bay in the Sea of Cortez. Just after dark the Chubasco started blwing 50mph. Steep Wind waves were up to about 4 ft, snubber stretching to the point that the chain was jerking bar tight, dark out. Fortunately I take a hand bearing for an exit plan whenever I anchor... It's just nice to get that snubber off fast... To each his own though...whatever works for you is the best plan..
I had a similar experience in Isla Espíritu Santo. I set out two anchors after dragging on one and stayed put with an anchor watch.

If the snubber is stretched out so that chain is hard, you need more snubber.

The exit plan is always a good idea; I have never had to put one into practice.
Old 25-05-2011, 10:22   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
My skipper had not seen a rolling hitch used before, and asked me to teach him "some of those fancy knots."
Bizzarre! I don't know how anyone can live on board without a rolling hitch. How do you unload a jammed winch? Or take a line off a cleat to a winch or vice versa? Tie on a snubber? Hang rope bundles? Rig a barber hauler? Tie a bridle to a whisker pole?
Old 25-05-2011, 10:23   #28

"I had a similar experience in Isla Espíritu Santo. I set out two anchors after dragging on one and stayed put with an anchor watch."
Hmm, cant remember if that was where or not..It was the place with the little ghost town on the island..... we ended up sailing around all night. I love the Sea at night with all the phosphorescence....man... alot of stuff in that water moving around!
Old 25-05-2011, 10:26   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Bizzarre! I don't know how anyone can live on board without a rolling hitch. How do you unload a jammed winch? Or take a line off a cleat to a winch or vice versa? Tie on a snubber? Hang rope bundles? Rig a barber hauler? Tie a bridle to a whisker pole?
This was on a race boat (X-119).
Old 25-05-2011, 15:41   #30

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
If the snubber is stretched out so that chain is hard, you need more snubber.
Not sure what you meant by that. Do you mean a thicker snubber? How about just letting out more chain so the weight is back on the snubber?
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote