Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2022, 07:45   #76

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones
Re: Smaller Boats (25-29ft)

Adelie seems to have hit the nail on the head. I always told myself that 32ft should be a minimum until I owned a Columbia 29. Any boat less than 40 ft requires that you take great care in not overloading the boat. There will still be room for required essential gear and provisions, but you can only take a few non-essential extras.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:48   #77

Vega 27 ok to live aboard for a few months with one or two crew (in their 70's). Three crew not so easy and four crew was too many. Handled rough seas in the Baltic; English Channel and Biscay with no problem.
I bought a Bristol 29 in New London CT on an Ebay auction from my desk in Essex, UK, paid by Paypal, jumped on a 'plane and picked her up a week later. Sorted her out for 10 days then motored her 2000 miles down the ICW to Key West with a few opportunities to sail. Mostly solo but my wife joined me in Miami. Sold her a year later for $4000, about what I paid for her. Adequate comfort for two so long as you can manage without aircon; enclosed cockpit; fridge and a few other luxuries.
https://youtu.be/6_he4_PdLRA
smacksman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:55   #78

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
I haven't read the 5 pages of responses, I thought I better write this before I do.

I am sitting here, typing this from the quarter berth of my Contessa 26. We spe t the last 2 nights on it with my wife, daughter and dog. I would take this boat anywhere as "safe". It is not what you would call a comfortable liveaboard...
The basics: it has a a v berth and two narrow berths in the cabin, one of which is for mostly used for luggage. If you're 5'6" you might call some portion of it standing head room. There is a toilet, but no shower, no hot water, no refrigerator, no water maker, and a 7hp diesel for both power and propulsion. Everything you need, not an ounce more.

She sails straight and has kep us safe through 50 or 55knots of wind. She can be safely single handed and doesn't pound. But she's not exactly dry on deck. Expect water on decks, expect spray. So is that comfortable or comforting? There is a pile of headroom on deck, and the cockpit is something like 7ft long but no room for a bimini, so... comfortable if yiu like the elements and have weather appropriate clothing.

Comfortable depends on who you are and who you are with. Do you need the comforts of shore? Do you want the comfort of friends? The Contessa 26 is a very forgiving boat. It will take more than you can, so, there is comfort in that... I would argue that a small boat is safer than a large boat because you can handle it more easily and there is less to break.

You can't carry a lot of water, food, passengers etc. So that may make it less safe?

On the other hand, other 26ft boats are not made like this. Length is not the determining factor for comfort or safety.
You might want to add a couple solar panels for power.

I have a 5 hp 4 stroke outboard (and sails) for propulsion on my Bristol 27 and all power is provided by my two solar panels.

One is 65 watts and the other is 50 watts.

They charge my two 220 ah Golf Cart Batteries through a Victron (Bluetooth) 75/15 Controller which power all lights, VHF/GPS/AIS, computers, Inverter, autopilot, depth, Chart Plotter with OpenCPN on Laptop, and etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vc1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	262010   Click image for larger version

Name:	VC2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	262011  

Name:	B1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	262012   Click image for larger version

Name:	VC3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	262013  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:16   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
7.8 knots on a 27ft boat, surfing?
I'm on a Contrssa 26; theoretical hull speed of something like 6.3kts. We often reach that and with waves behind us, we have had some nice 7.7kt runs.

Our record was 15.6 kts over the ground... mind yiu the short, steep waves were 10-15ft high, in 40-55 kt winds and throwing us off the top of each wave. I think that was more gravity than true sailing speed though!
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:06   #80

hmmm... has the OP responded in this thread or did we just get tolled into 6 pages of answering a basic question?
Old 01-08-2022, 09:13   #81

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
hmmm... has the OP responded in this thread or did we just get tolled into 6 pages of answering a basic question?

[emoji38] many of us have verborrea also known as verbiage: an uncontrollable flow of words
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:14   #82

Quote:
Yeah! But it has been fun for the 'under $50K' owners to have their 2 cents worth of comment!
smacksman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:17   #83

So far all good answers, but not much help because almost every boat will fit .

The only good way is to go sailing on every boat you can. And if you can't talk to people face to face not via the internet.

It will/should take a long time
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:58   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynara View Post
So far all good answers, but not much help because almost every boat will fit .

The only good way is to go sailing on every boat you can. And if you can't talk to people face to face not via the internet.

It will/should take a long time

I scrolled through a bunch of his other posts that included
1. Buying a 40' boat in Florida without paying tax.
2. 30-35' monohulls under $35,000
3. <production boats> as good ocean-crossing boats.
And states he's looking to buy a first boat for crossing the Pacific to the Philippines for retirement.

ok, so we're not being trolled but the picture is a lot clearer. Who, here, hasn't dreamed of buying a boat and sailing off into the ocean for retirement. It would appear that a budget is helping to temper his dreams from 40' to 26'. To go from a non-boat owner to a trans-pacific skipper in the span of a year on a 26' boat sounds like quite a challenge...

Honestly, his better bet would be to look at La Paz, Mexico, buy a "end of the line" boat there, sail the Sea of Cortez for a year to practice, and THEN decide if he wants to make the leap across the Pacific in whatever 26-30', 30-35' or 40' boat he's practiced on.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:32   #85

Boat: Bayliner 2450 Sunbridge

Remembering back 35 years ago when i thought I had to have a 45/50 footer to cruise on. When reality struck the size got smaller.

Sea Dragon a 21 Ft Davidson sloop that may be one of two known of that design draws 42 inches of water and has a bulb keel and the whole keel is filled with concrete.

For a 21 ft boat it is quite stable. Sails well too. We've poked around Puget sound on it and done the San Juan Islands several times with it. The boat has proven to me that it can handle just about anything and can handle far more than I can. it has a lot of room inside for it's size and at 5'10 " I can stand up in part of it. It has very few creature comforts as a previous owner stripped it to race and I haven't added a lot.
I set the area in front of the post up as a berth and we usually don't use more than a small electric hot plate to heat something at the dock as going on vacation on the boat means eating out to my wife rather than fixing food on the boat. I have no complaint with that. In truth life in the boat is petty much the same as going camping in your pickup canopy rather than a 11 ft camper, Fifth wheel or motor home. It'd got room to sleep, a porta potty, a small propane stove and a kettle grill and room for an ice chest. On the other hand I don't have much in it and my total investment in the boat won't pay my buddy's slip fee on his 45 footer for one month. Right now it would like some energetic young folks who would take it out and play with it. At 75 I am not agile enough to get out on the deck and work the sails. I'd say that that may be where the 20/29 footers may have an issue, workable deck space for the less than totally athletic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (313).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	262031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (312).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	262032  

rob d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:07   #86

My choice and my boat is the 27ft Albin Vega she has legendary sea keeping abilities and is designed to be of shore . Standing height is 5’’9 I think but I’m only 5’7 so not a problem. The cooker and sink are near the companion way and they’re is a sea water tap as well as fresh water from the tank. The v berth is as big as most 35ft boats which means we can actually sleep well and have fun together very important.
The cockpit is very big for her size just right for 2 . The toilet is cramped though. There are lots of u tube videos of people sailing Albin Vegas all over the world and some famous ones too. Red dot on the sea is a film of one such adventure. They are old boats though so you need to put some work and money in . Here’s mine I haven’t sailed off shore yet but with the vega I’m confident. I hope this is helpful
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	62F97966-9D70-4323-BB1E-6035798308C0.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	262069   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B5ED756-367D-4949-95FE-C49674E3DF60.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	262070  

Name:	E0EC3CEC-04CC-4ED2-9ED4-F7FC0AB65321.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	262071   Click image for larger version

Name:	417DA2B4-525A-4428-9800-4D0C62EA0890.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	262072  

Name:	6A8D1D43-E0BE-4025-BAC0-325B065A3C37.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	262073   Click image for larger version

Name:	EE2A5E46-EDDA-4105-B01F-E49916780F1F.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	262074  

asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:04   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1991 View Post
When people say smaller boats will be uncomfortable to liveaboard and sail passages (10 - 100 miles), what exactly does uncomfortable mean, other than getting wet above deck and knocked about below decks?

At what point does a smaller boat (as above) become dangerous eg capsizing, inability to deal with currents/tides/wind?

I see 27ft boats being sailed round the world but either these people are excellent sailors, very resilient or very lucky. Suspect they are the exception to the rule of size?
I was looking at a smaller boat and having it rebuilt from the bottom up. I spent months going through two lists. First list qualifying boats with fixed keels and solid hulls.ie Bluewater boats (my qualifier). That is for comfort while at sea meaning the boat will have a comfortable motion in a sea. The second list was things I wanted in the boat for comfort. After I went through my list with someone who had sailed around the world in a 30’ boat his response was “you’re going to want a bigger boat.” I reviewed the list over the coming months and the list has gotten smaller each time I reviewed it. The “comfort” needs are getting smaller becoming more minimalist. Do I really need an oven, 2 burner stove, generator, water maker, etc. All nice to have but more things can go wrong. Also is there room?

My suggestion is make the 2 lists. Then once you’ve selected a boat then review your “want list”. Then ask your self do I have the room, is it really necessary to be comfortable?
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:24   #88

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
I was looking at a smaller boat and having it rebuilt from the bottom up. I spent months going through two lists. First list qualifying boats with fixed keels and solid hulls.ie Bluewater boats (my qualifier). That is for comfort while at sea meaning the boat will have a comfortable motion in a sea. The second list was things I wanted in the boat for comfort. After I went through my list with someone who had sailed around the world in a 30’ boat his response was “you’re going to want a bigger boat.” I reviewed the list over the coming months and the list has gotten smaller each time I reviewed it. The “comfort” needs are getting smaller becoming more minimalist. Do I really need an oven, 2 burner stove, generator, water maker, etc. All nice to have but more things can go wrong. Also is there room?

My suggestion is make the 2 lists. Then once you’ve selected a boat then review your “want list”. Then ask your self do I have the room, is it really necessary to be comfortable?
It's also helpful to get some ideas from a person that has sailed/circumnavigated aboard a small boat a couple times.

And he still has the boat a 1963 28-foot Pearson Triton

James Baldwin's Site Atom Voyages. (he also has done lots of youtube videos on sailboat rebuilds/refits

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/cla...ers-list-html/

https://atomvoyages.com/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat