Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 17:56   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Singlehanded on a 49' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBloke View Post
Just a general question.

I am going through the thought process of purchasing a 49' Ketch, and one of the main considerations that I keep coming back to is: How can I do it?Obviously it can be done once all of the lines are run back to the cockpit etc, but how practical is it, over a sloop rig with a comparable LOA? ..........
Just a general answer.

I have some experience on smaller Ketches (30+ft) but not single handed and reasonable experience with similar sized sloops (including single handed).

In this smaller size range, the Ketches were more practical for the reasons you have stated. I don't know if this will translate the same as the size increases but it seems intuitive that it would do so.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 23:18   #17

It would be a good idea to have access to the VHF in the cockpit.
We had an incident with a boat that got into bad weather during a single handed crossing. He was not able to answer the radio when the Coast Guard called as he was strapped into the cockpit. A lot of angst for friends and relations until he eventually showed.

A Command Mic of sort would be perfect.

Fair winds.
Swede57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 23:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede57
It would be a good idea to have access to the VHF in the cockpit.
We had an incident with a boat that got into bad weather during a single handed crossing. He was not able to answer the radio when the Coast Guard called as he was strapped into the cockpit. A lot of angst for friends and relations until he eventually showed.

A Command Mic of sort would be perfect.

Fair winds.
Yeah, that is a good idea. I started with a hand held in the cockpit but eventually braved drilling holes in the cockpit to mount the RAM unit for my main radio. I only used it to talk to marina staff when arriving and being able to stay at the helm in full communication was invaluable
Old 02-10-2011, 07:36   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have both access in cockpit for vhf which is centrally located inside and i have hand held backup--is a good idea.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 13:23   #20

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

I have a 45' ketch and am listening to ZeeHag very very closely...

See ZeeHag, Some men do listen to your valued words of wisdom...
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 13:39   #21

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post

+1
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:19   #22

Boat: Transpac 49
Hi there all,

Thanks for all the feedback :-) Have been out of the loop for a few days, and leave again today for another tour through Asia for work.

Swede57, Hoppy & Zee have a great idea with the remote VHF in the cockpit. This has got me thinking of what other instruments to have in the cockpit. The ketch already has the usual windspeed etc instruments, but the chart plotter would be great to have at hand. If remember corectly (I dont have the specs at hand at the moment) the owner has only a PC based plotter. What have other found to be best? Am not sure that I want to lay out for a new plotter at the start. There is another thread about using a PC monitor of some description with a long VGA (or HDMI) connection. Option maybe?

Jacklines - She is currently equipped with webbing. Another training yacht I was on that was based in Vic and used to go out into the Bass Strait for 'the real thing' had stainless wire. The thing that used to annoy me the most was it always rolled under your feet when walking, and of course you kneeled on it exactly where you needed to be. Comments for and against?

Head protection - I remember reading somewhere here that someone who singlehanded always wore a canoeing helmet in case of an accidental fall, gybe etc to reduce the chance of being knocked out. I think a helmet with a built in visor for when it is pelting with rain would be multi functional. I read that many use Ski goggles, and MarkJ uses a welders visor, but these do not offer any head protection? Thoughts?

Someone asked about experience etc. I do not have tens of thousands of miles under the keel, and everything I have sailed on is 40ft and smaller, and mainly around the SE of Tasmania. I used to go out live fishing in a 25ft tinny to support myself through my Engineering studies, and I quickly learnt to keep a constant eye on the weather. I know how quickly snotty it can get, thus my questions. This yacht will be my home, and a place for the kids to grow up on. I am assuming that when my partner comes along, that she may not have the skill set at the beginning to assist as a crew. If Ms Right does not show up, then it will still be my home :-)

Oh by the way, I am 45yr old & ugly as a robbers dog ;-)

Cheers,

Bloke
Old 08-10-2011, 04:58   #23

Boat: Skookum 53'

If She is Mrs. Right, she will have the skill set or willing to develop them. I didn't find her until I was 48. A 49' ketch will work fine for a couple and even raising kids. I spent a lot of time crossing the south pacific on a 47' sloop with 2 parents and 2 siblings, and we did all right, and we came across other vessels that had more family than us on similar size or smaller vessels, it really depends on the attitude of those involved, if they are happy and look at the experience as a grand adventure then it will all be good. I spent some time on your island, I love it there, the road side cherry stands are wonderful! I loved Dover too. You have a great wooden boat festival in Hobart.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post

wow, i AM impressed...

as for gps/chartplotter item--i like garmin, mine is a 498-- a lil old, but that was done by design. now, anyone with chips for the maps for it, if you no longer need em as you have upgraded to 3d--please send em and let me know how much i owe you. i am serious. yes, i need many--only had the one from kali to salsipuedes and havent any more..i am using paper charts.

anyone sailing oz is gotta be a decent sailor if not already dead...

now ye has our imaginations all running bad--post a pic somewhere please ....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:06   #25

Quote:
Head protection - I remember reading somewhere here that someone who singlehanded always wore a canoeing helmet in case of an accidental fall, gybe etc to reduce the chance of being knocked out. I think a helmet with a built in visor for when it is pelting with rain would be multi functional. I read that many use Ski goggles, and MarkJ uses a welders visor, but these do not offer any head protection?
A helmet to me seems over cautious. I guess it all depends on where you want to draw the line between safety and comfort.

I have a feeling that MarkJ's welders visor was used for kinky sex games
Quote:
ugly as a robbers dog ;-)
Maybe a welders visor could be a good idea

Quote:
What have other found to be best? Am not sure that I want to lay out for a new plotter at the start. There is another thread about using a PC monitor of some description with a long VGA (or HDMI) connection. Option maybe?
An ipad is a good option, but only if you have other uses for it. It got me through my first summer on board.

You can always shop around for a cheap GPS plotter, a used plotter from someone who is upgrading to the latest and greatest or a hand held GPS map.

Realistically, the type of GPS/plotter you need depends on where you sail and how familiar you are with the area. Maybe you will find you can happily survive at the start with a basic lat long GPS and a paper map. If that can work for you, then you have time to see what you really need.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:36   #26
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
....... Maybe you will find you can happily survive at the start with a basic lat long GPS and a paper map. If that can work for you, then you have time to see what you really need.
As matter of fact, I find this system works so well that I haven't found the need to upgrade to the plotter thingy yet but one day I will....I suppose.....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:24   #27

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Personally, Tassie, I'm a fan of Jack lines run fore and aft with a reasonbably long tether but short enough if I go over not to be dragged through the water. There is a lot of freeboard to climb on a Transpac 49 so good idea to have a couple of rope ladders hung over aft of the center cockpit. Have a VHF wired in to your cockpit with separate antenna and power source. Also have an independent GPS with its own power source so if you lose power, you still have eyes. Paper charts are still an important backup IMO.
I favor the Northstar plotter setup. If you are doing coastal cruising, you need a readout screen in the cockpit but offshore with a good autopilot, the plotter can remain at the nav station. Just my opinion... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:14   #28

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak

I would say a 49ft boat is too big to single hand comfortably, but that's just my opinion. I think 30-35ft is optimal. I've cruised on a 45ft ketch with 2 others and even even with 2 people doing most things it was quite a handful when the wind and seas got up, probably not impossible single handed but certainly very tough.
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:34   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Weather...

The biggest single contribution to safety may be to have constant access to up to date weather information.

Short of falling overboard in calm conditions bad weather is your biggest hazard.

I'm thinking satellite phone with internet as essential in your part of the world.

Maybe add Get-There-Itis to your list of major dangers.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 14:04   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I think a helmet for bad conditions is a good idea. One bad fall or sudden jibe could leave you dead or incapacitated. A helmet might just turn that into a headache. The first time I saw a sailor wearing a helmet was a guy who sailed non stop around the world from Victoria, BC. He had a picture of himself in the cockpit in the southern ocean in a storm and I immediately recognized the helmet as a good idea.
http://www.sailinghelmet.com/
I have seen better ones and we had a discussion about it a short while ago.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote