Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2022, 17:04   #91

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Single Handling with Wheel vs Tiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You have no response then except elementary school attacks on me personally.

I'm starting to see a pattern with you guys that lack technical and sailing knowledge and here it is again.

You don't have to get defensive if you lack the skills though as most older folks are weak with computers, software, and cyber not to mention solar as well as electrical and electronics

It sort of sad to see an older person though with so little learned over all these years that can only attack the individual but not his argument.

Why not try to learn something rather than attack those with more knowledge.

This site offers free prep exams for those seeking certifications in Computer/phone hardware troubleshooting, Networks, and Cyber which at least one cert is required for most jobs these days even for management

As I guy that majored in History, I really enjoyed these courses. (minor in Math and Computer Science!)

Even if you don't need the cert, you might possibly learn something.

https://exampremium.com/

https://exampremium.com/comptia-a-220-1001/

Mate, I’ve got thirty years in IT, a degree in pure and applied mathematics, a masters degree and certification in IT stuff you wouldn’t even know existed. At last count they came to nearly thirty letters, I just stopped counting.

I recently tossed out a PC with better specs than your weird little franken-pc because it was useless. It took three days on the side of the road before anyone was desperate enough to take it.

So, please, as I said, stop embarrassing yourself. I’m not “attacking someone with more knowledge”, I am trying to stop a sad-case posting embarrassing pictures of some horror toy pc he built which has no relevance to the thread and only serves to make the rest of us squirm.

At least the weird catamaran videos have sailing in them.
Old 21-03-2022, 00:53   #92

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Single Handling with Wheel vs Tiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I built up my old Windows Vista Tower as a fun project, and to stay current with the young tech's I hire at work.

I spend most of my time doing reports, handling personnel, etc and don't get to do as much tech work as before.

They are in their late 20's and are computer experts having been born in the mid 1990's. I'm going on 70.

And sure you can find this stuff with an iPad or iPhone, but I like a full screen since I'm older. The one I bought for this is 24"

Plus it was fun replacing all the old parts.

The 250 watt Power supply I replaced with a 650 watt

the 168 GB hard drive I replaced with a solid state 500 GB (actually the 168 GB drive I reinstalled as a backup)

The Vista Motherboard had only two 512 MB Memory Sticks or 1 GB RAM!! That's an example of how fast Computer Technology is changing. You have to work to keep up.

Now with all the Hacker Harry's out there we have to handle Cyber Security as well.

New 11th generation Intel i5 Chip with 6 Cores capable of speeds to 4.2 GHZ

ASRock 510 MicroATX Motherboard capable of 64 GB Ram (DDR4) but I just have put in two 8 GB sticks so far which is 8 GB more than I have ever had

It supports water pump cooling also

Getting the chip and it's cooling fan installed was interesting also plus using all the old hookups from the 2004 Tower Case

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H510M-HDVM.2/index.asp

Then there was formatting the drives and loading the software, drivers, antivirus, and Windows updates which always causes some head scratching but I got it

I also bought some Bose speakers for it so it's Cadillac as compared to an iPad. In other words your iPad is subpar compared to this beast I built.

I did get a motherboard with onboard graphics though to save on the cost of a video card as I'm not a "Gamer." My online game is chess not these new computer action games.
How do you hook that up to your windvane?
Old 21-03-2022, 04:26   #93

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Clearly it’s a counterweight for an H vane.
Old 21-03-2022, 06:44   #94

Boat: Brewer 38

I have a Ted Brewer 38, LOA 41, with a tiller. I enjoy the cockpit space when underway and the autopilot engaged. My only beef is the location of the engine controls. We have had this arrangement for 17 years, sailing pacific, and atlantic.
svmonju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 06:49   #95

I hear you loud and clear. I have sailed many tiller steered boats. A Schock 35 (West Coast racer) was one that I sailed for years. Loved it. My next boat will hopefully have a tiller as well. Why? I have a much better feel of the boat as the balance is transmitted directly from the rudder to the tiller. As some have pointed out wheel boats with auto pilots are simple to sail single handed as the auto pilot steers and you can trim. If you just daysail you want to steer the boat as well. If you are cruising the autopilot allows you to do other things underway such as working on the boat or cooking a meal.

You are correct in saying it gets harder to find tiller steered boats over 30’. They are out there you just have to look around. Once you find a model the search is easier. My next boat will almost certainly be a tiller steered boat.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 07:43   #96

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

Simple, after buying my wheel-steered Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, on of my first major projects was to convert her back to the “as-designed” configuration of being tiller steered. It greatly opened up the cockpit. And since, at the same time, I added a below decks autopilot, for most of the time I’m sailing, the autopilot is steering, and the tiller is strapped vertically (with quick release straps). I still chuckle watching that vertical tiller do the “Queen’s wave” as the boat moves along.

And the PS factory people told me that the most popular conversion they do on older boats is to convert them back to tiller steering.

I also very much appreciate the simplicity of a tiller. No cables to break or jump off sheaves. And the emergency tillers on every wheel steered boat I have sailed are totally ridiculous. The wheel steering is going to break under rough conditions, not in a mill pond. I’d love to watch (from afar) someone try to steer with one of those emergency tillers in any sort of significant sea conditions.
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 10:43   #97

Thirty-three feet is a small boat. Go to a wheel only if you have to. Wheel steering is heavy and forces you to sit at times where you don't want to, and holding it from the side is not the best for easy steering. The compass is not usable when sitting to the side of the wheel. It takes up valuable space you want for comfort. A tiller tells you exactly where the rudder is pointing, the wheel does not do that. It also tells you better how balanced the rig is, and also when you are going too fast. A tiller is simple and foolproof.
psaltydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 10:47   #98

Boat: Neel 43

Its not so much the question tiller or wheel, it is more the question how is the autopilot attached.
(NB: Done a lot of single handed sailing and racing with my First 31.7, Raymarine Autopilot with remote control and tiller pilot)
The main issue with tiller pilots is
1) you need to attach them to the tiller. This is convenient when the side where the pilot is attached is 'up' (windward side), but uncomfortable when on the leeward(down) side. Plus, you cant drive the tiller pilot in and out with the remote control. That takes some time until the tiller length fits the rudder position etc.
2) reaction time of the tiller pilot is too low. Single handed spinnaker only possible in low-wind conditions with basically no waves

So if you have a tiller, make sure that the autopilot is attached directly to the rudder axis - similar as if you have a wheel. No hassle with adjusting the tiller etc, the clutch goes in and done. Plus, reaction time is much faster usually.
COOGOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 12:39   #99

Boat: Catalina 30

I cant say which ...tiller or wheel... is better for single handing. Ive only had wheel. In my current Catalina 30, I've added several new rope clutches and deck blocks to lead all lines aft. But even before that when i had to go on deck to raise and lower the main, i almost exclusively single handed. The autopilot in both cases has been critical for me. I point into the wind at an idle and raise the main. Then take a point of sail and engage the autopilot again. From that point on I can usually unfurl and manage the sails including tacking from behind the wheel.

Ocassionaly i want to get next to or in front of the wheel and use the autopilot as necessary or for convenience. But i find i can tack from behind the wheel.

I have to admit though the wheel does take a lot of room in the cockpit but i guess it's just something that I'm use to.
jerryf609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 14:09   #100

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

I'm an Albin guy, too, but mine is a relatively rare 7.9 meter, not the Vega. I've downsized a bit from both a Tartan 30 and a Yankee 30, both of which had wheels. I've raced all my boats some, and much prefer the tiller for 'feel'. All my boats have had auto pilots for cruising, but the tiller pilot on the Albin was much less expensive and less complicated to install. I'm a DIY'er.

The main advantage for me, though, besides not having to stand in front of the wheel when single handing is when I'm tied up or anchored. Simply pulling up the tiller and attaching it to the backstay frees up SO much more room in the cockpit. That dang wheel is always there in the way. For me, that's in important consideration as I both race and cruise.

Also, we have a locally quite famous boat near me named Rage. It's a Wylie designed 70' sled that, when she was new in the 90s, set a Pac-Cup record to Hawaii. The boat is like a huge, very fast dinghy! It originally had a tiller, but after some time was refit with a wheel. I'm pretty sure the new owners have gone back to the tiller!
So much for 'big boats only have wheels'!

Good luck...
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 14:12   #101

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Mate, I’ve got thirty years in IT, a degree in pure and applied mathematics, a masters degree and certification in IT stuff you wouldn’t even know existed. At last count they came to nearly thirty letters, I just stopped counting.

I recently tossed out a PC with better specs than your weird little franken-pc because it was useless. It took three days on the side of the road before anyone was desperate enough to take it.

So, please, as I said, stop embarrassing yourself. I’m not “attacking someone with more knowledge”, I am trying to stop a sad-case posting embarrassing pictures of some horror toy pc he built which has no relevance to the thread and only serves to make the rest of us squirm.

At least the weird catamaran videos have sailing in them.
Is that a joke?

What do you mean by certifications in IT "stuff?" (that tells me all I need to know of your knowledge base)

He calls it stuff! Really sounds like a guy in the know.

You only have 30 years in IT. You sound like a beginner and I'm sorry to have to tell you that your math and applied sciences will not help you with today's computers. It just tells me you are old school and not up on the newer systems.

As far as all your degrees, I have a BA in History.

Best thing I ever did (and I was paid to get it which helped me when I got lazy and wanted to quit)

My computer knowledge dates back to 1982 when we loaded computers with BCD and later with paper tape and Mylar tape

So again you are lacking knowledge. I'm sorry you didn't have a chance to learn more because if you have been out of the field for just a few years you are way behind.

As far as my beach cat videos, you missed the fun of sailing one
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 14:21   #102

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
As a beginner like you are, you need to understand that you cannot hook up a computer to a windvane autopilot.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this.

I'd really like to get a windvane autopilot also, but the reason I want one is because I don't need power to run it.

Let me know though if you need any help with an electric autopilot as I would be happy to help you that is if you haven't already run wires from your batteries to your windvane autopilot mounting brackets
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 19:28   #103

Boat: O'Day 322

I start off by stating that I have never sailed a tiller boat. My first ever boat was a Hunter 280 with wheel steering. She had lazy jacks and a roller furler jib.

I learned to sail that boat single-handed. A great starter boat.

6 years ago, I moved up to a 32-foot O’Day 322…also with wheel steering. I added lazy jacks and a Mack Pack after I bought her, but she already had AP.

I sail solo 95% of the time on Lake Michigan. With a working AP, I have no issues sailing, reefing, cooking, eating and enjoying a sail on my “wheeled” O’Day 322.

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 05:56   #104

With regards to the wheel cramping your cockpit space while docked or at anchor, the wheel comes right off with a twist of the nut. It can be stowed out if the way. There is also a wheel holder that you can get that secures it to the railing. I had one on my previous boat but not my current boat.
Old 22-03-2022, 06:04   #105

My advice is to ask a friend at the marina
with wheel steering to allow you to go out with them and get some experience taking the controls and see what you think. Being mindful that you will become more adept with more hours and days if you get a wheeled boat.

I would then shop for a boat irrespective of wheel or tiller.

Tags
single, wheel