Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2020, 08:04   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-2
Single handing modern boats

Hello Everyone!
Last summer we bought a Pearson 34-2 to retire on and do more extensive cruising, like the Great Loop, Bahamas, and who knows where else. Over the past 9 years or so we haves sailed a Tartan 27-2, which has been a wonderful boat for us. One of the things I really liked about that 27-2 was that we could balance the boat, lock the wheel, and use the head, make lunch, or whatever, and she would happily keep going. Tacking and jibing are no issue, since the sheets are within easy reach of the wheel. The 34-2 sails very well, and overall we are very pleased with her, after spending about 2 years looking for our "THE" boat. The boat is laid out like most boats are, all the lines being brought to the cockpit. Nice thought, but the with the wheel at the aft end of the cockpit, and all sheets and controls at the forward end, how do people tack and jibe a boat like this while single handing? So far I haven't been able to balance the boat like I could the 27-2, to do other things with wheel locked. Obviously the hull shape is a factor, being completely at opposite ends of the spectrum(long keel w/ centerboard on 27-2, wing keel on 34-2). An autopilot with an auto-tack function may help, but that is not in the budget right now; plumbing, electrical, and rigging take priority. Almost all boats built in the past decade or so are laid out like the 34-2, so there must be an answer out there that I am missing. Any advice would be appreciated! This problem are among the very few reservations about this boat. Otherwise, she is a great boat, and should serve my wife and I very well for many years.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 08:10   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Single handing modern boats

Stand in front of the wheel where you can handle the lines and steer backwards, easily done if you don't have a cockpit table.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 09:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We have an old boat that had a similar problem. It’s a center cockpit, kinda hard to climb out from behind the wheel. But the winches were way forward on the coamings. I ended up adding bigger winches where they could be managed from either in front of or behind the wheel.

This boat has been across the Atlantic 3 times, before me, and has never had an AP, just an Aries. I’ve single handed the boat for several thousand miles. I just can’t figure out how the PO sailed the boat without at least 2 crew. There was no place to even clear off the furling line and all halyards stop at the mast.

I keep making tweaks to add sail controls and make things easier on us. But adding the winches was a huge improvement. I still use the old winches, just for different things.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 17:05   #4

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Thank you for the answers! I will try steering from in front of the wheel. The wheel is large, so that should work. I understand about moving winches back, and that may happen, but I want to avoid drilling new holes at this point. I have thought about the German mainsheet system, but am resisting that for the same reason. We saw European boats with that style mainsheet at Newport last year, along with other controls being double ended and brought back to both sides. But then you are unprotected by the dodger in foul weather. I will keep trying whatever sounds like it might work.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 17:38   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

If you are going to single hand, get the wheel pilot. Yes, I learned to sail way back before GPS and every other thing, I know how to sail without the pilot, and I'm telling you you want the pilot.

Not a wind vane. Yes, there is an elegance, like using a sextant, but they're obsolete. I've used them, and they really don't steer well at all by comparison.

Eat PB&J and get the pilot. Times change.

That said, you should also learn to sail the boat with no pilot. Practice. Many days I leave the pilot off on purpose. But you put the word "modern" in the title.
Old 15-02-2020, 17:50   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

I've only done this lately when the AP was broke. Interesting fact, if the AP isn't connected to a wind instrument it will "auto tack" either direction, an "auto gybe" if you will. When connected to a wind instrument it won't let you "auto tack" the wrong direction, you have to hit 10 degrees 9 times or so.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 19:20   #7

Boat: Riva 48

A wheel autopilot definitely helps. If you are tacking, you work the Genoa sheets which are typically led aft. If you are gybing, you work the main sheet first and you can easily extent it to behind the wheel, the clutch is off. It can help if you have one of these “claw clutches” behind the main clutch where you can just push the sheet down and it will engage. If you have a symmetrical up then it gets more difficult without an autopilot.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 19:52   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Just practice a bit. My tacking procedure is to see when I'm about a minute from a tack or so, then walk forward and move the traveller over (way easier to release it and let the main down to windward before the tack rather than do it afterwards). Then on the way back put a single turn on the leeward winch and take the windward sheet off the self-tailer. I now have both sheets in my hand and am standing in the middle of the cockpit.

To tack, just lean back and turn the wheel a little, to set off a gentle turn into the wind. Enough to get through, but slow enough to give me time. As soon as the genoa is fully luffed, release the windward sheet and flick off all the turns so it can go completely free. Haul in as much excess on the new windward sheet and get ready to haul in as the sail comes across. Be ready for a really fast collection just as the sail is over and flaps freely. Lean towards the winch and take a second turn around it. Now walk back (still holding the new windward sheet) and turn the wheel back to straighten up at the right point of sail. If you've not managed to get the genoa in properly just luff up a bit and grab some more when the sail flogs. Otherwise bear off to get a little speed up, then come back up, put the sheet on the self tailer, and if you really want to grab the winch handle and grind in a couple of extra turns.

Very little to go wrong, and done almost entirely from in front of the wheels easily.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:02   #9

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
If you are going to single hand, get the wheel pilot. Yes, I learned to sail way back before GPS and every other thing, I know how to sail without the pilot, and I'm telling you you want the pilot.

Not a wind vane. Yes, there is an elegance, like using a sextant, but they're obsolete. I've used them, and they really don't steer well at all by comparison.

Eat PB&J and get the pilot. Times change.

That said, you should also learn to sail the boat with no pilot. Practice. Many days I leave the pilot off on purpose. But you put the word "modern" in the title.
Absolutely, well said. I used tillerpilot on my Cal29 and it's a blessing. Help you avoid nasty out of control situation especially in traffic or when jibing. Unless you have actually seen rigging failure in your boat, and are not headed far offshore to remote areas, for me the priority is AP.
And don't you motor a bit too? AP gives you time to tend to body functions as well.

I now singlehand my 46' ketch with Simrad crew. He seldom argues and keeps me on the straight and narrow! I slab reef the old way at the mast. My wife is a good lookout but she wisely leaves all the sail handling to me.

In any.case, have fun and practice practice until it can be done in the dark in strong winds.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:11   #10

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Not a wind vane. ... I've used them, and they really don't steer well at all by comparison.
WInd vanes have many variables

1) weight size and shape of oar
2) weight size and shape of air vane
3) friction and gain in linkage
4) sail trim
5) play and helm setting
6) stops to limit vane movement

So it is not surprising to conclude that they "really don't steer well" if you did not optimize one.

It's easier to use an electric autopilot and these can steer better especially in changing conditions. An autopilot might be up to 10% more miles per day but not much more, and usually less of a difference.

A wind vane is perfectly adequate and can steer the boat in even the lightest winds.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 09:17   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Yes, having the mainsheet located at the cabin top is definitely not helpful for single handing.

Why are almost all boats are set up this way? Excellent question!

I think this has to do with moving mainsheet 'clutter' to a more tidy location.

Is this a good idea? No!
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 10:38   #12

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
If you are going to single hand, get the wheel pilot.

Wheel pilots, are fairly inexpensive on Ebay. I have a nice hydraulic RAM pilot connected to the MFD and the wheel pilot as backup.

Disagree on windvane. Those use no electricity, steer fine.

Having seen a lot of cruisers who's AP's died and have personally had total electrical failure I like the fact that as long as there's wnd, I have a windvane to steer the boat and provide me with yet another backup to the steering if my steering system fails.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 10:42   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

The boats I sailed single handing did not turn that fast that one could spin the wheel then slip around into the cockpit and work the sheets then back behind the wheel to set the new course then back again to adjust the genoa sheet.

I tend to the opinion that single handers don't get involved in tacking duals though.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 13:46   #14

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I definitely consider a good autopilot to be essential for single handing on anything longer than a day passage. Would rather go without a chartplotter than an autopilot. On a modern canoe bodied hull this goes double as it is usually near impossible to leave the wheel for mor than a very short time and they tend to be tricky to hove too
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 14:52   #15

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

I agree with the AP advice. I have a below deck ram rather than a wheel pilot and consider it essential equipment. It is like extra crew. I often only engage it for a few minutes to adjust a line or nip down below for something. I usually sail with my wife rather than actually singlehanded but don’t always want to bother her for quick actions like a tack.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, single