Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2013, 05:23   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Single handing a yacht into a slip under sail - possible?

As said above, if the wind is just right, i do it just for the kick. BUT 90% of the time the wind in Key West blows out of the East, making my slip downwind…. even under bare poles, i will blow downwind too fast to keep the glass from hitting the wood!
Old 18-12-2013, 06:15   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Sadly I could figure out no way of doing this in our double pens, as it would prevent my neighbour from coming and going. I have half the "X" though to at least prevent the bow from hitting the finger too hard.

Also, just a thought, but how does this affect your bottom paint? With our very soft ablative I reckon it might rub through pretty quickly.

Matt
It's not anywhere near my waterline. It catches the bow a good foot and a half above the waterline, and maybe rides up another six inches or so stopping it. I'll try and take a picture of it this weekend.

I can't remember who showed it to me, but it sure takes the stress out of wondering how you would get back in if you couldn't crank the engine.
Old 19-12-2013, 08:03   #33

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
In a slip that I plan to use for a while I pre-rig 2 lines on the dock. A running line with a thimble for the bow and another cleated to outer end of the slip. The running line has a loop for the bow and a 4' tail that is knotted to the second line..

Come in at a creep, boat hook the loop, drop it on the bow cleat, untie the tail knot and walk the 2nd line to the mid ship cleat.

It helps when the wind is kicking and when single handing.
Old 19-12-2013, 08:16   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single handing a yacht into a slip under sail - possible?

Funny enough I prefer to use the main in most cases.. even if anchoring... just release the mainsheet and give the boom a shove as you leave the cockpit... beats the hell outa being whipped to death or blinded by flailing genoa sheets... also... wind/tide direction factors hugely into the decision as to whether I enter or anchor out.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 08:42   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Funny enough I prefer to use the main in most cases.. even if anchoring... just release the mainsheet and give the boom a shove as you leave the cockpit... beats the hell outa being whipped to death or blinded by flailing genoa sheets... also... wind/tide direction factors hugely into the decision as to whether I enter or anchor out.
That's been my exact thought with everybody saying they use the headsail??? Better control with 1)effort 2)boom maneuverability 3)instant drop if need be 4)one sheet

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 08:55   #36

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
That's been my exact thought with everybody saying they use the headsail??? Better control with 1)effort 2)boom maneuverability 3)instant drop if need be 4)one sheet
It's a personal preference so whatever works is what's important. For me the Jib sheet and winch are generally easier to access from behind the wheel (unless the traveler and mainsheet are on the deck at the binnacle) and I found that I had a better chance of maintaining slow boat speed with the jib than the main. When I used the main I occasionally came in too hot. Don't seem to have that problem with the jib. Just my 2 cents.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 09:00   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single handing a yacht into a slip under sail - possible?

That's when practicing control by 'Feathering' comes in handy.. to slow sheet in for a quick boost.. to fast.. let out and feather...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 09:04   #38

If the wind is behind me, I cannot drop the main easily or use it as a throttle. It is all the sail to the wind. If you have a bat car system this may be different on your boat. On mine there is too much friction with the boom all the way out.

Jib can be rolled up partially or fully instantly. This of course assumes you have roller furling. So basically I say use the headsail because it is much easier to throttle back and douse.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 09:39   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
It's a personal preference so whatever works is what's important. For me the Jib sheet and winch are generally easier to access from behind the wheel (unless the traveler and mainsheet are on the deck at the binnacle) and I found that I had a better chance of maintaining slow boat speed with the jib than the main. When I used the main I occasionally came in too hot. Don't seem to have that problem with the jib. Just my 2 cents.
Totally understand.... different boats for different folks... AND different directions... Layouts... berths... No way could I come in under genny with the 2 tight turns I need... windward side of a tight fairway...downwind/downcurrent slip... with a full keel.... Reefed main???? No problemo!

Old 19-12-2013, 09:41   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
If the wind is behind me, I cannot drop the main easily or use it as a throttle. It is all the sail to the wind. If you have a bat car system this may be different on your boat. On mine there is too much friction with the boom all the way out.

Jib can be rolled up partially or fully instantly. This of course assumes you have roller furling. So basically I say use the headsail because it is much easier to throttle back and douse.
Me only thinking of my situation! See above!

Old 19-12-2013, 12:12   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

jd1,

The midships line is key. Set up the boat before you enter the marina, fenders out, the bow line led back and flaked where you can reach it near amidship, and also the stern line, so you have at the ready, the three lines you'll need for tying alongside. If you need another spring line, put it on afterwards.

You'll need to come in a little faster than you did in the OP, but what you do is leave the boat with the midships spring line and secure it to the outermost cleat, then, since the wind is from ahead for you, secure the bow line to keep the vessel from going astern; finally, deal with the stern line. The amidships spring line is your "brakes"to kill your forward momentum, so she stops. Adjust the lines as needs be.

If it is a difficult jump down to the dock, you might consider making a step that you hang off the toe rail, that will make getting on the dock more controllable.
Old 19-12-2013, 13:14   #42

Boat: Catalina 387

Any arguments for/against the "jump off" and secure the spring line vs lasso it with a boathook?

When I learned to sail, we always sailed in - 'twas beyond easy with 2 people and it was a slip - not an endtie.

I'm a bit terrified of jumping off my boat, missing the cleat (or falling, or whatever) and watching the boat sail off without me. It would then undoubtedly make a perfect beeline for the most expensive thing in the harbor to hit.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 13:19   #43
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jumping is for young turks who know they will live forever.

You jump, you stumble, you fall and learn the hard way that there is almost never any good reason to do anything except STEP off the boat, after it has stopped moving, or damn close to that.

A little practice with throwing a line, catching a loop around a cleat, and you'll never have to jump. Except in British Columbia, where they don't seem to use cleats, and there's often nothing to tie onto except a "rail" you have to pass the line under. I think they do that just to perplex the Yanks.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 13:26   #44

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Any arguments for/against the "jump off" and secure the spring line vs lasso it with a boathook?

When I learned to sail, we always sailed in - 'twas beyond easy with 2 people and it was a slip - not an endtie.

I'm a bit terrified of jumping off my boat, missing the cleat (or falling, or whatever) and watching the boat sail off without me. It would then undoubtedly make a perfect beeline for the most expensive thing in the harbor to hit.
I've jumped off once with our boat, and I am never doing it again. The wind caught her and I was dragged down the dock, only managing to get the line round a cleat on the dock twice before it took up the slack on the line. Within seconds the line was slipping and literally smoking as it ran through the cleat. It was VERY touch and go and I swore I would never leave the boat again until I had it fastened to at least once cleat with an adequate line.

17 tons and four feet of freeboard make for a very ungainly boat sometimes.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 13:41   #45

Boat: Morgan 416 O/I Ketch

Best description of my Morgan 416 yet. Thanks, Matt. I'm stealing that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
and generally heave and haul the high-freeboard-wind-sock monster into the correct position.

Then I tend to go and have a little quiet lie down for a bit.... let the heart rate return to a steady thump from the high pitched whine...

Matt
LesleyS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, single, yacht