Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2016, 14:35   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Shoulder Replacement

John, in case you were a golfer, remember there may be a surgeon lurking around your club, too.

Do all that you can, with the concurrence of the surgeon and the physios, the rest is in the hands of the fates, and we're all wishing you well.

--------------

Cards26, interesting screen name, playing with half a deck, eh? Good one. ;-)

Sorry you injured yourself. One thing I found out the hard way is not to increase weight or resistance, when you're trying to recover from joint surgery, without the input of a competent physical therapist. Sometimes in our eagerness to try and approach 100% again, we injure ourselves. I am sorry this happened to you. Must be d--ned depressing, too.

Attitude helps a lot with surgeries, and holding on to the fact that your positive thought can help your recovery is really important for you. When you're done grieving over what happened, work together with the doc and the therapists again. It's what's in the past is done; you have only the present, and hope for the future. Take the best care of your bod that you can.

Ann
Old 17-06-2016, 15:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I hope you can find that you can cruise after rotator cuff surgery. But don't underestimate the recovery time and pain of regaining use of your arm and shoulder. I think I am a special case as some recover much quicker. After 3 months I still have a lot of pain and limited range of motion. I'm in my mid-60's so I think there is an age factor here but I have been a "stiffy" for my whole life anyway so may be I am not the norm.

I haven't been able to do much on my boat since then and getting frustrated by that.

I have been told my so many people that shoulder surgery can be the most painful of anything other than knew surgery. Be sure and do your stretching and other therapy exercises or your shoulder will not heal right. There will be an initial period of doing nothing except protect the joint. Follow the advice of the doctor and therapists.

Good luck and I hope you do better than me.
Thanks EMD

Give it some time. 3 months is still early. After my original surgery, I did develop a good range of motion and strength after approximately six months. My main concern was my arm felt cold (and was actually cold to touch) and somewhat numb. My new surgeon believes the degeneration of my my humerus may be due to avascular necrosis. Now, replacement is the only option. If you are feeling these symptoms, I suggest you have them investigated.

John
JBBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 15:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
Sorry for the negativity above, but my whole dream of sailing went down the drain with that one lift of a dumbbell. They don't call them dumbbells for nothing! Keep in mind that it's a two year recovery of rehab before you're back to 'normal'. I don't think I have that much time.

I don't think you'll find any doctor with experience with this kind of surgery that would tell you to go sailing. Broad statement, but I think it's generally true, BUT there are plenty of sailors out there after having had this kind of surgery. (They did the sailing moves a long time before the surgery.)
No need to apologise Cards. I feel and have personally experienced your frustration. Thank you for sharing your situation.

John
JBBNE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men