Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2013, 05:33   #1
F51

Short handed tight undocking

We are facing East, starboard side tied to a dock with pilings higher than the bowsprit. I need to depart to the West. I have one boat length forward and pretty good room aft. I need to turn 180 degrees immediately as we depart. The fairway is about one and a half boat lengths wide, so I can't get very far away from the dock, but I must have room for the bowsprit to clear the pilings as we turn

This is what I think will work: I will loop a bow line over a piling forward and back to the boat. Cast off midship spring and stern lines. Place transmission in reverse. The left-hand prop will cause the stern to walk to port. When the boat has swung out about 90 degrees, I will put the wheel hard to port and burst forward enough to slack the bow line and retrieve it. I can then jockey reverse and forward repeatedly to turn the boat in the narrow fairway until I am headed out.

I have never backed against a bow line, but I believe that the stern will walk starboard just like it does when I reverse with no lines attached.

Are my assumptions correct? Any better way to do this? Thanks.
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 05:50   #2
cruiser

Re: Short handed tight undocking

That sounds like a good plan. Is there a reason you can't back all the way out and head down the channel in reverse instead of turning around? I usually back out given the same circumstance and avoid turning in a narrow channel.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 05:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I'd kinda do what you say, but would start off with hard starboard rudder at idle speed ahead. Let her roll on the piling until about 30° to 45° off the pier, THEN use reverse
Old 17-01-2013, 06:06   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I'd use the classic maneuver. Tie a large fender on starboard right up at bow. Tie a bow one from forward cleat round piling. Ease engine in forward, turn rudder hard starboard. let boat run hard up against fender/dock, with bowsprit behind piling. When about 60 degrees, undo bow line, put rudder hard port, goose engine.

propwlak should now sling stern to port, juggle engine to get boat moving so bowsprit clears. continue goosing engine until stern has swung sufficiently or turn rudder really hard starboard and give a good goose on the engine, then going to idle. That will make the stern swing to port without imparting forward motion on the boat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 06:54   #5
F51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Is there a reason you can't back all the way out and head down the channel in reverse instead of turning around? I usually back out given the same circumstance and avoid turning in a narrow channel.
Yeah. :-) She's a big, heavy, full keel pig in reverse. If there is no wind and no current, I can sometimes get her to back in a semblance of a straight line. But because of that, I don't practice it much!
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 08:27   #6

Boat: Fantasia 35

Use lines and turn her around from the dock so that she is pointing in the right direction. I just did this yesterday and it was very easy. Just don't try this if there is a lot of wind or current. Slack water is best.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote