Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2014, 08:23   #16

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: Salty california kid needs advice

Look at C27's. They're cheap, decent boats. Figure out where you're going to keep it first (Getting a slip/mooring is the hardest thing about sailing in socal)

hehe... I'm of the opinion that all boats are project boats. You just don't want too much of a project.

Crew on races is a great way to learn to sail. There's a sailing club at Orange Coast College that's reasonable $$$. Hang out at a marina and offer yourself as crew. If you're around Dana Point, PM me. I often look for crew to listen to my bad jokes for daysails. Or just pick up a boat, a copy of sailing for dummies, and try it Heck, if Rimas can drift across the pacific......
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 08:28   #17

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsaunders View Post
excluding attending a sailing school. .
I'm curious about you excluding sailing schools or classes. Many are available at very modest prices. It might also be an excellent way to make friends with some new sailors learning as you do. While all the other answers given are excellent, I'd lean toward some form of at least minimal training in classes just to have more knowledge of the basics. It would also put you in better position to be considered for the volunteer crew positions.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 09:21   #18

Check out Fairwind Yacht Club in Marina del Rey. This is more of a community sailing club, with a good training program. You start with small boats and work your way through the fleet to larger, cruising boats. It is a great way to get a lot of sailing experience for not a lot of money. This will also give you experience cruising and racing with other members.

As others have said, getting on a race boat is great experience. Many of the yacht-clubs have their beer-can races (e.g., Cal Yacht Club Wed night Sunset Series,....), which leads to the cruising class weekend races and/or larger PHRF series.

Good luck!
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 09:37   #19

Thanks so much to everyone for only good advice and positive attitudes
wsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 09:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'm curious about you excluding sailing schools or classes. Many are available at very modest prices. It might also be an excellent way to make friends with some new sailors learning as you do. While all the other answers given are excellent, I'd lean toward some form of at least minimal training in classes just to have more knowledge of the basics. It would also put you in better position to be considered for the volunteer crew positions.
Very true, what I really meant was that I want to stay clear of overly extravagant upper class sailing schools. I just couldn't afford it
Old 23-12-2014, 10:26   #21

Also, other than Craigslist and asking around a marina, where are some places to look for boat listings?
Old 23-12-2014, 10:28   #22

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsaunders View Post
Very true, what I really meant was that I want to stay clear of overly extravagant upper class sailing schools. I just couldn't afford it
I don't know pricing in your area but in our area there are weekend (2 day) sailing courses for $300 and then clinics for $25 a three hour session. Introduction to cruising courses for $200. I suspect through local community recreational programs some less expensive may be available.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, salt