Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2020, 06:15   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Sailing/Sculling Dismal Swamp ICW

I thought this was a fun story.

Btw she got this boat for a song. It's a very well built Great Dane 28.

She sold her Pearson Ariel 26 that she sailed from Canada to Florida and back up to Virginia. Those stories are on her site also and are quite interesting/fun to read.

She (they) removed the engine first which was in very good condition then made their on chain plates

Dinghy Dreams – Road to the Sea
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:27   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Sailing/Sculling Dismal Swamp ICW

Too bad they don't have a nice word to say about anyone or place along the way.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Looks like you only read a couple sections.

She had lots of nice things to say about her stay up near Deltaville, and the folks there plus the guy she bought her latest boat from.

Deltaville and the military town of Norfolk (almost the whole Hampton roads area) are quite different. Many are happy to leave.

She and Sean are on that small boat together now also which can add pressure I'm thinking as both are used to single handing for years

Also trying to get South away from 30 and 40 degree temps living on a small boat and being stopped by a lock operator for a made up reason after sculling the Dismal Swamp ICW is enough to get most anyone in a bad mood
Old 11-01-2020, 14:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
i have to agree what a unhappy person. Not enough free stuff for them from the oppressive politics down here in the south, I had to quit reading when she called the canal operator fascist.
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 14:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekatlrg View Post
i have to agree what a unhappy person. Not enough free stuff for them from the oppressive politics down here in the south, I had to quit reading when she called the canal operator fascist.

Actually she is usually quite happy and resourceful, but sometimes when one has to deal with a small minded person with a tiny bit of power things can become ugly.

Looks like she pressed this little man to call his supervisor who made the right decision and they were able to scull through.

Also, I'm not sure why some folks are so afraid others are getting something for free. These young folks are trying to figure out life. Btw, her crew did invent his own autopilot software and has made numerous contributions to the openCPN nav syatem. https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

The options are limited for those that cannot afford college which even if you graduate there is no guarantee of a job.

Another option at least here in the US is to join the military and possibly get put into a combat situation that never should have happened or maybe you luck out and learn a job skill other than the elevation and windage adjustments on your rifle so you can hit your target at 500 yards

Then as far as you agreeing with that other guy, some people have the strength to go their own way regardless of who disagrees with their way

As far as oppressed politics in the South, No!? Tell me it ain't so. Who woulda ever thought that? Things have always been totally fairly distributed in the South...….
Old 12-01-2020, 09:30   #6

Boat: Sabre 34 Mk 1

I wasn't interested until I saw the posts suggesting she is a miserable person. Then I had to check it out for myself. I like the little bit I had time to read at the moment. She sounds like a lot of fun to hang out with!
KimSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:08   #7

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

So here is my take on her, she is young, naive , and very stuck on being right. Being right is highly over rated. Example: she was right that the lock master should have let them through. Giving him the one finger salute was her way of saying so. But the consequences could have caused her untold misery. What if the next lockmaster was a good friend ? Hmmmmmmm, seems he is having trouble with the lock, six hour delay or wait until the next boat comes along. Or another possibility, he takes it out on the next person coming through. Hopefully in the coming years she matures and comes to understand you can win the battle but lose the war. Her partner seems to understand that. This is her going through life
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:13   #8

Boat: Sabre 34 Mk 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
So here is my take on her, she is young, naive , and very stuck on being right. Being right is highly over rated. Example: she was right that the lock master should have let them through. Giving him the one finger salute was her way of saying so. But the consequences could have caused her untold misery. What if the next lockmaster was a good friend ? Hmmmmmmm, seems he is having trouble with the lock, six hour delay or wait until the next boat comes along. Or another possibility, he takes it out on the next person coming through. Hopefully in the coming years she matures and comes to understand you can win the battle but lose the war. Her partner seems to understand that. This is her going through life
"Well-behaved women seldom make history."
KimSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:24   #9

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

From what I have read, she does not come across as miserable, but as someone convinced she is seeing a stereotype she was taught to believe is there. I spent the first 34 years of my life in the deep south but never experienced true racism face to face until I moved to Ohio. But first thing that struck me is in northern states it isn't called racism by the media (unless it happens elsewhere) This Captain made several disparaging remarks about 'the south' and 'the southern US' that came across very poorly.
On our trip through the ICW, our experience was whomever operated the VHF was referred to as 'the captain'. Whomever initiated in the face to face as well. Jumping up and taking over the radio and flipping off the lock operator because he referred to the 'crew' as captain is rather childish at best.
Comes across as an ego issue, IMO
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:31   #10

I doubt the EU existed when her boat was built. Every culture has it strengths and weaknesses. Being a DEEP South Southerner, now living in Virginia, I suppose the South does have both in extremes. It is interesting that it seems much of the millennial age group takes such great pride in their "tolerance ", they have no idea of their own hypocrisy. But then, much of this can be attributed to youth, and many never outgrow it. She certainly has courage and is out there "doing out!"
Glansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
From what I have read, she does not come across as miserable, but as someone convinced she is seeing a stereotype she was taught to believe is there. I spent the first 34 years of my life in the deep south but never experienced true racism face to face until I moved to Ohio. But first thing that struck me is in northern states it isn't called racism by the media (unless it happens elsewhere) This Captain made several disparaging remarks about 'the south' and 'the southern US' that came across very poorly.
On our trip through the ICW, our experience was whomever operated the VHF was referred to as 'the captain'. Whomever initiated in the face to face as well. Jumping up and taking over the radio and flipping off the lock operator because he referred to the 'crew' as captain is rather childish at best.
Comes across as an ego issue, IMO
I'm thinking that has something to do with being 20 something and having already dealt with this lock master guy. Also, some of us at that age once fired up, it takes a while to cool down

As far as then wanting something for free, that's not their thing.

She worked all summer I believe (see her blog etc) on a tall sailing ship of some sort. When she does need help, she calls her Dad like most all 20 somethings do

Sean is a software engineer. Not sure if self taught or school trained and he seems very able. He also made the stern chain plates for her boat heating and bending them at the dock maybe.

I think they ran into each other last spring while heading North along the ICW

She is gaining valuable experience and will learn more from Sean since he has already crossed the Atlantic and the Pacific on his $1,000 Bristol 27 singlehanded

He/they also designed a water catchment system for her boat with charcoal filter. No need for an expensive water maker. It's all on her site.

Her "new" boat is a very good offshore boat also...….a Great Dane 28
Old 12-01-2020, 10:43   #12

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimSails View Post
"Well-behaved women seldom make history."
So true ! But sometimes they get roasted at a stake like Joan of Arc. Or ventilated like Bonnie Parker.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:14   #13

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

You make a good point - very few situations in which we should insist on being "right." Also perhaps not advisable to give people the finger on the water - especially when you are sculling for power.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:29   #14

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

I hope she's successful in getting to the ocean soon - then just keep heading East.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:00   #15

The way you treat people will often influence the way they treat you.
grandmaR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, sail, sailing