Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2020, 09:17   #76

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Sailing/Sculling Dismal Swamp ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Thanks for bringing that up Jim. I am not understanding this concept of somehow being a genius and that gets you off the hook for keeping a clean and orderly boat ? To me if you are bored because you are just slowly sailing along that would present the best time in the world to clean things up. And yes it would present a safety issue, how do you find anything in an emergency. There are all kinds of negative aspects in living like this as your post points out. I also wonder how this sort of lifestyle will effect him mentally in the long run.

It's like what a poster pointed out earlier (and I'll re-post it below), but what is very surprising to me is the number of people that don't seem to understand a person like this

I see it a lot with some engineers and techs.

Example: one of the best engineers on our site doesn't take very good care of himself. He'll refer to things using the F word around anyone even if some of those near by aren't used to such language. He still smokes.

For years he was missing both of his front teeth until his son jumped on him about it and embarrassed him so much that he got that fixed

He also dresses all mismatched but that's fairly common with engineers.

The point is his mind is on the project at hand NOT on all the other mundane things going on not having to do with the project whatever that is.

I was similar in way back in the day but majoring in the liberal arts sort of opened my eyes a little. At my collage you had the Math building, Engineering Building, Psychology Building, History and so on. I could just about tell which building I was in just by watching the people and how they dressed and acted. After switching from Math/computer science to History I had quite the eye opening experience (my other electronics/computer training was military and at work)

When I was a computer science student in the 80's rarely did any of the professors have pants long enough to reach the top of their socks.

Folks it's for this reason that sometimes having a few different tech/engineers on a project can really be the best way because people are not all the same and see things differently

I had a regional Boss not too long ago that complained about how one of my techs cleaned up. I tried to explain to him that his idea of clean and that tech's idea were not quite the same

Another time, a tech came in and said ......that is the junkiest work bench I ever saw! I said it's Blank's workbench and he just finished cleaning it up! He was like O....K. And btw Blank is one of the best computer/electronics techs I have and the other tech knew that as well

__________________________________________________ ____________
jmh2002

Sean is clearly one of these extreme genius types, and that assumption is actually reinforced by the mess... it's simply not relevant to him, he has much greater priorities (in his mind).

So all due respect for his talents, and his achievements on the positive side.
And maybe just try to close eyes on the less positive points.

The line between genius and madness is often quite fine.

And that should be considered when trying to understand such people.

They don't fit into the normal 'box'. And we shouldn't try to put them in one.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 10:15   #77

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

I just don't really see anything particularly amazing about the guy. In real life I have encountered many people who overcome daily tasks with insightful solutions, while barely having the mental capacity of an average box of rocks. We are constantly in conflict with *engineers* who can't see past their monitor far enough to understand that just because the fancy program says it's possible, doesn't mean a human being can fit 2400mm into a 120mm space to install their gizmo. Computer says it will work, no common sense being applied.
As for writing programs I know many welders, auto technicians, truck drivers, etc who write programs with absolutely no training. In the mid 90s I layed out, wrote, and debugged several programs designed to piggyback the AOL community chat room system, to either record chat activity and admonish violations of the TOS (when I was a Host Guide) or to distribute or receive *contraband* or force someone's computer to lock up or sign off (when I was called a hacker)
Writing and debugging code is about understanding the language, like visiting a foreign speaking country. Once you understand the language, it's not that difficult. I picked it up fairly quickly before YouTube was around, and I am most assuredly not a genius (multiple tests proved I was 11 points shy of being labeled with that BS)
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 12:29   #78

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I can still recall back when I was an undergrad on a debate scholarship the debate coach advising asking the question 'is that the rule or the exception' as a great way to counter arguments.

I feel confident everyone agrees sculling is the exception rather than the rule. Same goes for someone writing code to control a used windshield wiper motor to function as an AP. Same thing goes for nasty looking boats with lots of jury rigged stuff being blue water capable.

Several other posts have noted in third world countries it is common to find MacGyvered solutions that work. Especially in Cuba a lot of things like this are all over. This does not mean Cuba is full of world class geniuses.

Maybe even more important is what I consider the biggest lesson I learned in my travels. It is critical to not PO people. Every time I dressed up to clear customs it was obvious the officials appreciated it. Every time I called the guy raising the bridge a "bridge master" it was obvious they appreciated it. On the other hand in reading the blog I noticed a comment about the girl meeting a guy who shared jumbo shrimp with her but in talking she determined he was not sufficiently "woke" and kicked him off her boat. I have to wonder how happy she was after kicking someone who had just shared food with her off her boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 13:17   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
I just don't really see anything particularly amazing about the guy.
No.

Well, how about this since this is a cruisers and sailing forum.

He sailed a 1973 Bristol 27 sailboat he bought for $1,000 most of the way around the world.

He had no water maker, no large water tanks, little food, no sophisticated equipment except what he built for pennies, ancient sails, no oven or hot plate to cook with, and a chunk of wood for a tiller

And oh, I forgot usually no engine

And no new gen anchor which most of you say you cannot live without

Maybe the problem here is that some cannot deal with the fact that he spent so little to do this because they have spent $50,000 - $200,000 (or more) to try to do the same thing or to actually do it

https://svcrystalblues.blogspot.com/...ne-around.html
Old 19-01-2020, 14:24   #80

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

What really bugs me about lauding this guy as being some sort of improvisational genius is that it ignores all the Cuban, Vietnamese, Philippine, African, etc boaters. It’s like you only get credit if you are a first world westerner playing at doing without, but if you really are poor and making something from nothing to stay alive and feed your family, you are essentially invisible.
So he hung 1gallon jugs to collect rainwater: big deal. He bent his own chainplates: again so what. Look at a boat yard in any third world country building fishing vessels and this is all routine everyday stuff. The only real difference is that most times their boats are cleaner and better cared for than his.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 14:27   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
No.

He sailed a 1973 Bristol 27 sailboat he bought for $1,000 most of the way around the world.

He had no water maker, no large water tanks, little food, no sophisticated equipment except what he built for pennies, ancient sails, no oven or hot plate to cook with, and a chunk of wood for a tiller

Maybe the problem here is that some cannot deal with the fact that he spent so little to do this because they have spent $50,000 - $200,000 (or more) to try to do the same thing or to actually do it

Again there are hundreds of thousands of poor fishermen around the world doing exactly the same thing every day for their entire lives just to survive. So what makes this guy so special?
Old 19-01-2020, 14:44   #82

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
So what makes this guy so special?
Well, one thing is that he removed a working (I think) engine from his boat... and then started berating those of us who have not done so ourselves. He has used some pretty harsh terms to describe anyone who uses an ICE to drive t heir boat.

This to me puts him in a "special" category. And this has nothing to do with his skills as an inventor, coder or cruiser.

Jim
Old 19-01-2020, 14:51   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Again there are hundreds of thousands of poor fishermen around the world doing exactly the same thing every day for their entire lives just to survive. So what makes this guy so special?

Poor fisherman cruise the world?

Get a grip.
Old 19-01-2020, 15:19   #84

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
SNIP

Maybe the problem here is Sean is one serious accident away from putting rescue workers in danger to save him or being injured and incurring $US50,000-$US200,000 (or more) of medical bills he will stick tax payers with.

Not to mention the real possibility of him getting caught in a current or adverse wind in a narrow channel and becoming a hazard to navigation exposing other boaters to danger or damaging their boats.

The fact of the matter is it does take a minimum amount of money to safely cruise. Cutting corners is asking for trouble. Sooner or later the odds usually catch up to you. Truth be told I think he was more lucky than good.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 15:38   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Maybe the problem here is Sean is one serious accident away from putting rescue workers in danger to save him or being injured and incurring $US50,000-$US200,000 (or more) of medical bills he will stick tax payers with.

Not to mention the real possibility of him getting caught in a current or adverse wind in a narrow channel and becoming a hazard to navigation exposing other boaters to danger or damaging their boats.

The fact of the matter is it does take a minimum amount of money to safely cruise. Cutting corners is asking for trouble. Sooner or later the odds usually catch up to you. Truth be told I think he was more lucky than good.
Well, the Great Dane 28 he's on now is a superior offshore boat.

I think he/they will be A-OK especially with his/their experience

It's probably time to let this thread go as too much negativity isn't good for anyone

I think I'll concentrate more now on the Raspberry PI 4 I just bought that I am using to respond here. I learned about it from .......the guy we are speaking of.

It's too cool for school!
Old 19-01-2020, 15:50   #86

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
No.

As a lower income vessel owner with lifelong dreams of living aboard and cruising SAFELY I can assure you that almost every item you listed goes against the mantra of responsible cruising. He is an accident waiting for opportunity.

I built an 600 egg fully automatic incubator which maintained temperature, moisture, and auto rotated the eggs using a 12v server power supply, programmable circuit boards, relays, and the various sensor devices purchased from china. Used a ford trunk motor to rotate the eggs. Saved $2,500 vs commercial units. Custom designed, built, and insulated the case as well. Big deal Just about anyone could do it if they applied themselves. Necessity + poverty = mother of homemade invention. Millions around the world do more creative projects daily.

Just about anybody can take an unseaworthy vessel and head off into the sunset as well, just because they survive doesn't mean they should be applauded for disregarding safety.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 16:22   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

It's probably time to let this thread go as too much negativity isn't good for anyone
Agreed ! Reading about foul mouthed malcontent slobs is depressing. Unsubscribed.
Old 19-01-2020, 16:29   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Agreed ! Reading about foul mouthed malcontent slobs is depressing. Unsubscribed.
So much for that.

It appears some of you have forgotten what it's like to be young. (GET OUTTA MY YARD!)

The Indians speak of the circle of life, and it appears some of you are on the downward spiral especially anyone that would post what you just did. (and then runs away)

Please grow up.

(Posted using $90 worth of Raspberry Computer .........not yet mounted in the case and no heat sinks attached yet)

I do like to keep thing orderly though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00546.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	207255   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00547.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	207256  

Name:	DSC00548.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	207258  
Old 20-01-2020, 05:13   #89

Quote:
Poor fisherman cruise the world?

Get a grip.
Poor fishermen and women improvise and patch up their boats constantly. They also make long voyages at sea, but not for recreation: they do it because they have to to eat. They don’t have the luxury of choices and alternatives like educated Westerners, they also don’t have YouTube accounts or computers, which seems to be what makes the difference to you. It seems your philosophy is “pics or it didn’t happen”. If a tree falls in the forest and it was not on YouTube, did it really happen.......

Anyway, I think your hero is a dangerous ass whose boat is a filthy pile of rusty crap and I’ve explained why. No need to belabor the point. Bye
Old 20-01-2020, 05:31   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Anyway, I think your hero is a dangerous ass whose boat is a filthy pile of rusty crap and I’ve explained why. No need to belabor the point. Bye
You are basing all this on some old photos.

See what a difference a day makes? (photo)
Now to install the Raspberry in it's case with the tiny fan.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00555.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	207299  

Tags
icw, sail, sailing