Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2020, 12:15   #16

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII
Re: Sailing/Sculling Dismal Swamp ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I'm thinking that has something to do with being 20 something and having already dealt with this lock master guy. Also, some of us at that age once fired up, it takes a while to cool down
She is gaining valuable experience and will learn more from Sean since he has already crossed the Atlantic and the Pacific on his $1,000 Bristol 27 singlehanded

He/they also designed a water catchment system for her boat with charcoal filter. No need for an expensive water maker. It's all on her site.

Her "new" boat is a very good offshore boat also...….a Great Dane 28
We are reading a single sided story, and we were offered no explanation of the conversation that led up to the alleged remarks. The only related experience I have to the ICW is we were told we had to motor through the locks, rules being what they are. A lock master calling a supervisor to grant exception to the rule doesn't come across as a person on a power trip, IMO, it comes across as a person doing his/her job. I have been in many situations where I was not the authority to grant access, so was required to deny it until someone above my station granted it.
Frankly, the entire description of the confrontation doesn't come across as believable. I feel it was embellished. The remarks about Norfolk as an industrial and military wasteland, the remarks about a widow (whose son moved home to help and family friend is trying to help) is essentially on her own, the reference to deliverance and all that implies, rotting meat being sold from federally regulated stores... I see a pattern
Even with all that to overlook, still good reading
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:40   #17

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

We did the ICW From Port Canveral to Washington D.C. and back in 2011. We found that the bridge operators and barge operators were very friendly and helpful. Checking in with bridge operators in a friendly fashion and a thank you after clearing the bridge goes a long way in making your experience pleasurable. Where the bridge operators are within VHF radio range, you can be sure the operators talk to each other about troublesome vessels. No matter how pissed off some official makes you, we have found that keeping your temper in check and keeping up the please and thank yous defuses most situations much faster and in a more satisfactory fashion, than arguing to please your ego.

Our worst experiences were power vessels kicking up huge wakes and crowding you as you transit a bridge opening.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:54   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Huh... not sure social justice really requires a hostile attitude and a middle finger in order to work.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 13:11   #19

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
So true ! But sometimes they get roasted at a stake like Joan of Arc. Or ventilated like Bonnie Parker.
Or elected to the Senate like Ms Warren or Murkowski or even made Prime Minister like Ms Ahearn or Thatcher.

BTW, only the children of the 1% can afford college, everyone else takes out student loans that keep them in debt for decades, just when they should be having kids and buying homes. The days of Pell Grants and inexpensive state and community colleges are long gone since legislatures don’t want to raise taxes to pay for higher education, instead preferring to spend money on stadium’s and multi-million dollar football and basketball coaches. Remember, the highest paid state employee is always called Coach.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 14:09   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
We are reading a single sided story, and we were offered no explanation of the conversation that led up to the alleged remarks. The only related experience I have to the ICW is we were told we had to motor through the locks, rules being what they are. A lock master calling a supervisor to grant exception to the rule doesn't come across as a person on a power trip, IMO, it comes across as a person doing his/her job. I have been in many situations where I was not the authority to grant access, so was required to deny it until someone above my station granted it.
Frankly, the entire description of the confrontation doesn't come across as believable. I feel it was embellished. The remarks about Norfolk as an industrial and military wasteland, the remarks about a widow (whose son moved home to help and family friend is trying to help) is essentially on her own, the reference to deliverance and all that implies, rotting meat being sold from federally regulated stores... I see a pattern
Even with all that to overlook, still good reading
Well, she is trying to be a writer! (as well as a sailor)

As far as Norfolk and the military, it can be challenging for those not used to it.

I've seen enough young redneck guys spend $40,000 - $50,000 to make their truck the most perfect "lifted" truck possible to last a lifetime. It seems to be the most important thing in life to them

And before folks start attacking me for the above, we did similar things in the 70's with our air shocks and Cragars but not to this extreme. Less money being paid to the military back then
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 14:24   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

It's wonderful that young people can still find the ability to see their experiences as new, independent and rebellious even though each generation before them found the same excitement with these adventures. I think it's an important stage in life as well as the importance of becoming more accepting of those different from us as we get older.

Too many don't grow out of this stage and continue to be less tolerant of others. I'm all for them. They're doing just as they should!
Old 12-01-2020, 15:41   #22

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Hmm as I read this her problems come across as of her own making.
Old 12-01-2020, 16:13   #23

Looks like another judgement from an old guy that has forgotten what it was like to be in their 20's

Some of you folks might want to hang out with those that are younger so you can remember what it was like to be young …… and only a few years out of your teens

I have a couple guys in their 20's that I hired in the last few years. These folks never knew a world without cell phones and the internet much less cable TV

It's quite an eye opener

Of course, they are very good with computer repair, configuration, and software. It's like they were born with it as they actually sorta were
Old 12-01-2020, 16:21   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Well, she is trying to be a writer! (as well as a sailor)

As far as Norfolk and the military, it can be challenging for those not used to it.

I've seen enough young redneck guys spend $40,000 - $50,000 to make their truck the most perfect "lifted" truck possible to last a lifetime. It seems to be the most important thing in life to them

And before folks start attacking me for the above, we did similar things in the 70's with our air shocks and Cragars but not to this extreme. Less money being paid to the military back then
I hope her readers realize the political bias and embellishment for creative license and are not putting much faith into the accuracy.
Old 12-01-2020, 16:34   #25

Some of the negative comments here are very similar to what other boat punks have received particularly Moxie Marlinspike.

Then after it became apparent who he was, those comments seemed to quite suddenly disappear

Old 12-01-2020, 17:21   #26

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Or elected to the Senate like Ms Warren or Murkowski or even made Prime Minister like Ms Ahearn or Thatcher.

BTW, only the children of the 1% can afford college, everyone else takes out student loans that keep them in debt for decades, just when they should be having kids and buying homes. The days of Pell Grants and inexpensive state and community colleges are long gone since legislatures don’t want to raise taxes to pay for higher education, instead preferring to spend money on stadium’s and multi-million dollar football and basketball coaches. Remember, the highest paid state employee is always called Coach.
Not arguing about the college part at all but the politicians you have listed have all learned the art of civility and compromise, it’s what will make things really work in any society and something in short supply now.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 17:55   #27

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

I wonder if they'll even allow her back in Canada - maybe we'll get lucky and she'll just go home
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 18:08   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Maybe I missed something but how the heck did they get through the first lock of the Dismal Swamp if their was an issue..??
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 18:27   #29

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Maybe I missed something but how the heck did they get through the first lock of the Dismal Swamp if their was an issue..??
I figure that the lock master was smart and just wanted to get rid of her as fast as possible.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 18:54   #30

My only *negative* comments were based on the accuracy of the picture she is depicting.
I agree it is a very fun read, and I look forward to 'catching up' and following her adventures, but I realize there is a rather heavy layer of bias and BS in her view of the world.
I hope she realizes her dream of becoming a successful writer, just not sure if she is aiming for fiction, nonfiction, or just loosely based on reality.
On the Canadian note, did we ever get them to take Beiber back?

Tags
icw, sail, sailing