Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2014, 19:46   #31

Re: Sailing home to San Francisco from Panama

I can easily see how inside steering can make decisions a little different. One of my deliveries from Hawaii to SF was in a motor sailor with inside steering, and while the boat didnt sail worth a darn, being able to go 2 or 3 days at a time without foulies was a real pleasure. Inside steering will make whichever way you choose to go, much easier. Just as a side note, I did 3 deliveries from Hawaii to California, and never went more than a few miles north of the latitude of SF. The wisdom of going half way to Alaska to get to SF, might be true some years, but certainly not always Best of luck to you. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 20:34   #32

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I've done the Panama to Hawaii trip, and it is not a bash. Its light air sailing and motor sailing until Coast Rico, then reaching and then running out to Hilo in increasing wind. If I had to to it again, I would hang closer to the coast after Punta Mala and work the day and night breezes to Costa Rico rather than the lighter stuff 100 miles offshore. We left on April 1 and it took 29 days to go the 4600 miles in the Beneteau 456.

Spend some time in the islands (like Hanalei Bay) and head to the mainland in July. Close reach for about a week to 48-40N, then tack, or motor through the corner of the high and you have a reach home-- it took us 16 days to Santa Cruz. You also have the option of a relatively easy sail north to the Pacific Northwest.

If you want to go up the coast, you will have to deal with Papagayos, Tehauntepecers, and the bash, which can start long before Cabo.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 14:32   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
It all depends on the type of schedule you are on. You should get above Cabo before June 1st as that is when the hurricane season starts. After that you can take your time on just go anchorage to anchorage of which there are many. Once you get to San Diego you can again take your time in US waters. There are again many places to stop. There is no need to head all the way to Cape Flattery or beyond in BC unless you are interested in cruising there.

We motorsailed from Panama to Puget Sound and it was an unpleasant slog but we were on a schedule, unfortunately. There were many interesting places we passed by just to make make it all work out and we regret it now.

The good part is that the San Blas Islands are so pleasant and interesting that it may be somewhere you will really want to spend some time. And there are really safe places nearby where you can leave your boat, yes even an cat, to go do other things stateside or whatever.

Just don't make our mistake and be in a hurry. These may be once in lifetime opportunities.
Hi Victor, I realize it was a few years ago that you added to the thread about how difficult it is to sail up the west coast of North America.

I was very curious when you mentioned that there are a few good/safe places that you could leave a multihull down on the western side of Panama.

I am looking to buy a 38 foot catamaran that is located on the west coast of Panama, but I am concerned that I cannot find safe moorage (even on the hard) until I can find the time to sail her north to Vancouver, Canada.

Would you have any suggestions for moorage in the area?

Regards, Darren
dmathison@sd38.bc.ca
DMAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, sail, sailing, san francisco