Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 17:08   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sailing

How many of you have rules about sailing? As an example "If we drop below 3 knots turn on the engine?" With two teenagers on board I would turn the engine on when we weren't making a schedule.

On my last cruise I decided to change the rule: If we drop below 3 knots pick a closer place to stop and keep on sailing. The rule worked really well in the warm waters of the Med. We didn't get to see as much of Italy but it was very pleasant to actual be sailing the boat. Steering the boat w/o constant trimming (like we did when racing) through confused seas was a challenge but I really enjoyed the total focus that it involved. On another leg we were ghosting along at 2 to 3 knots in flat seas two miles off shore with just a breath of wind in the 150% genoa. I wanted the kids to realize that they would have a hard time catching a boat and they wanted to go swimming. I had them jump off the bow and then catch the dinghy on its way by. The kids tried to swim to keep even with the boat and they could manage but all except my daughter who is a water polo player weren't able to do it for long. They had fun doing it and I think they now realize how far a boat can travel in a few seconds.

What are your rules for sailing v. motor sailing.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 19:32   #2

Re: Sailing

On a long passage I never mind taking a break for a day or two if the winds die. I lay a hull for 3 days once, but mostly it only takes a day before the winds kick in again. A break in the middle of a long passage is really great. Many evenings, if crew is on board, I will stop the boat at dusk, everyone showers, eats and takes a break for 1-2 hours. Surprising how the shower rejuvenates you. My best crew taught me this trick.
On a shorter passage, I may motor sail a few hours, to get into an atoll when the sun is still high enough entrance through the pass and into anchorage. I tend not to turn on the motors on unless I have to, but I always like a boat ride.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:35   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapena
On a long passage I never mind taking a break for a day or two if the winds die. I lay a hull for 3 days once, but mostly it only takes a day before the winds kick in again. A break in the middle of a long passage is really great. Many evenings, if crew is on board, I will stop the boat at dusk, everyone showers, eats and takes a break for 1-2 hours. Surprising how the shower rejuvenates you. My best crew taught me this trick.
On a shorter passage, I may motor sail a few hours, to get into an atoll when the sun is still high enough entrance through the pass and into anchorage. I tend not to turn on the motors on unless I have to, but I always like a boat ride.
Wow. Can I crew for you. !!!!!
Dave
Old 08-08-2011, 05:40   #4

Boat: Hunter 430

I'll hem and haw about turning on the engine (and burn a gallon an hour), even if I'm doing less than 3 knots, but on land have no problem jumping in the truck and burning up half of Saudi Arabia to get to the store.

Can't figure out why.....
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:23   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

If we drop below 4 kts. raise the main. If we drop again, enjoy the relaxation.
Don't fall overboard, I might be too lazy to turn around. Have had people on the boat that made that real tempting.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 21:10   #6

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Provision smartly or you could be on the menu.

The skippers always right and I am he.

I don't care what your mother says stop bringing her up.

Your brothers a moron stop inviting him.

Tags
sailing