Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2020, 09:12   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Wichita/Pensacola
Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Posts: 322
Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

Several times we have been under sail on the same tack on Pensacola Bay and had a parasailor dangle the line or parasailor above our mast.
Most times it doesn't seem close but on this one occasion we were sailing and auto pilot wasn't touched for several hours. (very lovely sail) This parasail boat stops directly in front of us about 400 yards to rig up his passengers. OK, very nice of you. We alter course. After we pass him, he takes off with parasail in tow. Ok, we are done with him. After a few minutes he comes back around and his boat is well port of me (200 yards), stopped, and the parasail is well starboard (100 yards) of me with the line very close to my mast.

Now Colreg specialists, is he RAM, slower vessel, or am I under sail and slower. He obviously was much faster then me until he wasn't. I was skipper of a charter and altered course. I also let him know, never do that again.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 09:30   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
tkeithlu's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carrabelle, Florida
Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Posts: 2,503
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

1. The technical term for the skipper under USCG 807.(1)(c) 1999 is "Jackass."

2. In suggesting that he not "do that again" did you use explosives, or were you able to keep it to NFA Class II firearms?

3. How did you dispose of the body? Could this become a pollution problem?
__________________
Never let anything mechanical know that you are in a hurry.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 01:50   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Norway
Boat: Nord Star 32 patrol
Posts: 22
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

Being slower or faster, has nothing to do with Colreg.
Trond123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 02:08   #4
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Caribbean live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 5,102
Images: 84
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

Take photos

Is he commercial? Report him to the owners or resort where he works or to the CG.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 03:14   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Hamlin, NY
Boat: O'Day 27
Posts: 58
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

This is a good illustration of why the Colregs are so dangerous. They are wonderful assuming the other skipper has a single functioning synapse and has even bothered to read them. Next one must assume said mentally deficient skipper has a clue how they apply. As in defensive driving, don't assume the other guy has a clue. Also don't assume just because they have a license they are competent. Graveyards are full of people who were doing everything right.
Joefiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 06:42   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Kennebunk ME
Boat: Owner built 60í Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Posts: 402
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

Iím assuming you did not have your motor on and in gear. He is a power boat.
You are a sail boat. Heís not a navy ship. But... In the end, you must do everything to avoid colliding. You can call the coast guard but better, you could find out who is his insurance company...not his agent..but the company who wrote the policy..then send them an anonymous letter...not email. Believe me, they will do something. Drop him or raise his rate. Send a letter to whomever owns the boat and tell him what might happen if this continues.
The operator has a license. Maybe he drinks or does drugs. You can figure out this out. Call. Ask for an FMP enforcement officer. They will respond if they get a few calls or notes from even anonymous sources reporting suspected operating under. If he is not a member of a drug testing consortium, his beginner license is toast and good luck trying to get another.
Nobody needs this type of behavior out on the water. Itís dangerous enough.
We had a couple of jet ski buzz by and one suddenly realized we were metal and on chain. He turned sharp. Flipped and broke his neck. Dead because he was trying to impress his girlfriend. Jet skis are involved in a huge number of fatalities. Alcohol I think is still #1.
Brush up on your rules and carry a copy. Ask the auxiliary to inspect you boat.
If you pass ask a USCG if they have time. Keep the report and if you get a real boarding you can offer it so they can just copy the info. Get a license. Everything to show you are trying to comply. If you get a ticket, you might find you get a break in court. If itís a serious accident, who do you think the jury will believe more...licensed captain or skippy the hippy. Getting a license is worth the effort.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his under the Federal witness protection program manatees.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 07:20   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Wichita/Pensacola
Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Posts: 322
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond123 View Post
Being slower or faster, has nothing to do with Colreg.
I must be mistaken, I remember something about overtaken vessel versus overtaking vessel. Or something like that.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 07:26   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Wichita/Pensacola
Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Posts: 322
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

I have a Masters and was on charter. There are several in the area when we sail through that area. I announce on the radio to not fly the parasails over my mast and if they do, I will document for the USCG. They haven't since.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 07:40   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Wichita/Pensacola
Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Posts: 322
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

My boat has passed inspection except for one thing, the rail height. Just can't change it yet.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 07:45   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Norway
Boat: Nord Star 32 patrol
Posts: 22
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
I must be mistaken, I remember something about overtaken vessel versus overtaking vessel. Or something like that.
Wasn't your original post about a crossing situation? I was responding to your last paragraph in the first post, where you mentioned slower or faster. Colreg, as you most likely already know, being a master, does not mention anything about relative speed with regard to who is stand on or give way vessel in a crossing situation.
Trond123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 07:59   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Wichita/Pensacola
Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'
Posts: 322
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond123 View Post
Wasn't your original post about a crossing situation? I was responding to your last paragraph in the first post, where you mentioned slower or faster. Colreg, as you most likely already know, being a master, does not mention anything about relative speed with regard to who is stand on or give way vessel in a crossing situation.
Correct, I was the overtaking vessel because he was not moving and essentially his vessel was extended with the parasail. Sorry for the confusion, I was essentially using terms the non USCG would understand. Using the ColRegs terminology can be confusing for some.
Obviously you know the Colregs, may be you could enlighten us on your interpretation in this situation. I am basically a humble charter skipper asking for advice. I altered course.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 08:16   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Norway
Boat: Nord Star 32 patrol
Posts: 22
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

If I understand the situation correct, you were sailing, and the engine was not used for propulsion. You had the other boat on your port bow, with the towed parasailor still in the air, on your starboard bow. The towing line being in front of your vessel, being an obstacle for you. Correct?

Therefore you were not in an overtaking situation (rule 13), but a crossing situation, and rule 15 apply.
That the other vessel temporarily stopped (lack of good seamanship, and a clear violation of rule 2), doesn't change the situation into overtaking.

From this, you were stand on, and the other vessel give way.

Then it can be discussed whether the other vessel was restricted in maneuverability due to the towing of the parasailor. I don't have a clear answer to that. If the other vessel claim restricted maneuverability, the day shapes must be shown. Since those signals wasn't shown, he can't claim this status.

In a similar situation, I would of course have altered course to starboard, as you did, to avoid the situation escalate into a bigger risk of collision.
Trond123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 08:25   #13
Registered User
 
daviddiscenza's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Worton Creek (Where my boat lives)
Boat: 1993 Catalina 34
Posts: 114
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Iím assuming you did not have your motor on and in gear. He is a power boat.
You are a sail boat. Heís not a navy ship. But... In the end, you must do everything to avoid colliding. You can call the coast guard but better, you could find out who is his insurance company...not his agent..but the company who wrote the policy..then send them an anonymous letter...not email. Believe me, they will do something. Drop him or raise his rate. Send a letter to whomever owns the boat and tell him what might happen if this continues.
The operator has a license. Maybe he drinks or does drugs. You can figure out this out. Call. Ask for an FMP enforcement officer. They will respond if they get a few calls or notes from even anonymous sources reporting suspected operating under. If he is not a member of a drug testing consortium, his beginner license is toast and good luck trying to get another.
Nobody needs this type of behavior out on the water. Itís dangerous enough.
We had a couple of jet ski buzz by and one suddenly realized we were metal and on chain. He turned sharp. Flipped and broke his neck. Dead because he was trying to impress his girlfriend. Jet skis are involved in a huge number of fatalities. Alcohol I think is still #1.
Brush up on your rules and carry a copy. Ask the auxiliary to inspect you boat.
If you pass ask a USCG if they have time. Keep the report and if you get a real boarding you can offer it so they can just copy the info. Get a license. Everything to show you are trying to comply. If you get a ticket, you might find you get a break in court. If itís a serious accident, who do you think the jury will believe more...licensed captain or skippy the hippy. Getting a license is worth the effort.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his under the Federal witness protection program manatees.
I'm curious as to how you'd go about finding out who the insuring company is. I've run across more than a few people on the Chesapeake who either don't know the regulations or don't care.
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 08:55   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Currently in Hawaii
Boat: Cooper 416
Posts: 542
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for. It appears you took proper actions.

You altered course when the careless operator stopped 400 yards off your bow. That was the right action to take.

You indicated you contacted the operator on the radio to inform him his actions were inappropriate. That was the right action to take.

The extended parasail does not give him any special privilege on the water. A broadcast call on VHF to the USCG that this vessel was endangering his passengers and other vessels would likely get a reaction from the USCG. Also, contacting his company owners would solve the problem.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
S/V Discovery 15797 (https://www.QuestsOfDiscovery.com)
WA7WJR & XV9WJR
Discovery 15797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 09:36   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Out there doin' it
Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Posts: 3,550
Re: Sailboat under sail versus parasailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond123 View Post
If I understand the situation correct, you were sailing, and the engine was not used for propulsion. You had the other boat on your port bow, with the towed parasailor still in the air, on your starboard bow. The towing line being in front of your vessel, being an obstacle for you. Correct?

Therefore you were not in an overtaking situation (rule 13), but a crossing situation, and rule 15 apply.
Rule 15 is for two power-driven vessels - the OP was under sail, so rule 18 applies, except where rule 13 might apply. In this case speeding ahead of and then stopping in front of another vessel does not automatically turn you into the stand-on vessel. Guy was a tool - report him.

I don't know what it is about the peeps that drive para-sailing boats, they all seem to be a couple chromosomes short. I've experienced the same stupidity with them seeming to want to hang their paying customers on my mast. Since it happened to me in The Bahamas and Mexico I didn't think reporting it would do anything; maybe in Florida you'll have more luck.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
asa, boat, sail, sailboat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yanmar SB8 versus repower, versus more space and a larger outboard? SailingFan Engines and Propulsion Systems 46 01-09-2017 17:47
Procedures for towing a sailboat with a sailboat under sail MissedMyChance Seamanship & Boat Handling 24 02-07-2015 05:24
Boston Whaler versus Albury versus ??? Magor Powered Boats 3 26-02-2014 12:43
For Sale: Parasailor Spinnaker for sail Sinkers Classifieds Archive 2 12-09-2013 07:51
Hunter 340 Sailboat 1986 Versus 1975 Pearson 35 Foot Sailboat bubuin2000 Monohull Sailboats 0 21-08-2012 21:12

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.