Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 20:18   #1

Sail Training

Hi all,
We are close to buying a new to us Lagoon catamaran in the BVI.
If all goes well we are planning on taking possession and moving onboard in mid April.

Now here is the catch and I hope I don’t receive to much on the side of negative comments.

We would like to find a captain, hopefully a certified sailing training instructor knowledgeable with Lagoons to come aboard and teach us about the systems and sailing, navigating, weather and all that we can learn on a 4-5 day period, sailing around the Virgin Islands, maybe more if needed.

I hope this would be considered to be a teaching, learning and compensated sort of teaching vacation for someone that is willing, able and qualified. We are easy to get along with.

I am a complete newbie to sailing, my wife has some experience from many years ago. I know you would probably ask why are you putting the cart before the horse. But as life has it we are not “spring chickens” and we are anxious to start our new journey and adventure. We would like to experience this without being in a formal multiple student class setting, rather a more relaxed learning setting.

Please pm if interested and we can talk.

Thanks,

Thanks,
swpalmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 20:34   #2

Re: Sail Training

The ASA 101, 103, 104 and 114 classes take a bare minimum of a week of hands on if you've already completely read the books ... then at that point you can be safely called a newbie. Of course, this doesn't include learning how everything on the boat works that is not related to handling and navigation. i.e. servicing heads, engine, water maker, bilge pumps, batteries, generator, inverter, hulls, sacrificials, etc.

I don't think it's doable in 4-5 days. Also, a fair chunk of the insurance companies will put the kibosh on ownership if you can't prove your sea knowledge.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 21:50   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, I don't think that plan needs negative commentary, I think it makes sense, if you can find someone good there to hire. I think I'd also check into finding a good local delivery skipper, ask around the yacht club and stuff like that. A good delivery skipper can teach a lot and may have an open schedule to work with. 4 or 5 days isn't much, but if you have someone who knows how to start slow, make you practice things many times over with a watchful eye to gently and firmly correct you both along the way, it could work out very well IMO. First get comfortable with handling and sailing the boat. Later the systems and mechanics can be taken up. Now that is just my own $.02 'cause I have never gone looking for an instructor. I've just been really lucky to find a few while I was brashly thinking I could do it all on my own.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 22:19   #4

Boat: Bavaria 35E

I agree pretty much with Don CL. A good AND friendly captain will be very helpful to familiarize yourself with the boat. You'll learn some basics of sailing, docking and anchoring in that time, as well as a few key items of general maintenance to keep your eye on. There are many that tell you to take loads of classes, and while that is good advice, it doesn't mean it's the only way to learn. Get hold of an ASA 101 or US Sail equivalent book and review it before you head to the islands. Make a point of checking weather reports every morning and only venture out in easy to moderate conditions when sailing by yourselves. Practice, practice, practice....and you'll be good. I've learned a ton by just reading boards like this one, too.

4-5 days with a captain is a bit short, maybe 6 days a bit better, just to reinforce what you've learned because there will be a point where you are on information overload.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:42   #5

Try Capt. Jose Miranda at:
Info@MoversandShakersboatdeliveries.com

He's an ASA instructor and a very nice, relaxed fellow, based on the personal experience of my wife and I with him. You might be able to work out something with him.

We have NO vested interest in suggesting him.
Cheers,
Carl
SV Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:43   #6

Thank you so much for all the positive information. An SV TRU, I will definitely try to reach out to Captain Miranda.
Appreciate it.
swpalmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail