Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2021, 16:41   #1

Sail too long in the luff

I have a sail off a Seawind 1000xl on my Seawind 1000 (extended to an XL) The sail is too long in the luff as the boom on the factory xl is a little lower on the mast.
Iíve attached the sail on what I assume is the Cunningham cringle, and it fits well.
Iíve noticed that the leech, or around 1/4 of the lower rear of the sail, is somewhat flatter than I would expect when under pressure. Thereís a good belly in the sail and by tightening the top lift I can get some more shape towards the rear of the sail.
Apart from the obvious lowering the boom, (major surgery), does anyone have an opinion if this is caused by the sail being secured by the Cunningham cringle or is there a way to get a better sail shape?
Ssas5342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 16:52   #2

Re: Sail too long in the luff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssas5342 View Post
...is there a way to get a better sail shape?
Get a sail that actually fits the boat. You have a hot rod boat there, why are you mickey-mousing with crap sails?
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 17:56   #3

Boat: S2 9.1

A sail maker can shorten the luff for not a lot off money. Ask one.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 18:07   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

For now using the Cunningham should be fine. Do you also have a flattening reef on the leech? But I'd recommend you take it into a sailmaker; it shouldn't be too much for them to set new cringles, if the sail is in good shape and worth keeping.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 22:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Get a sail that actually fits the boat. You have a hot rod boat there, why are you mickey-mousing with crap sails?

Agreed, but I donít have the money for a new sail.
Old 25-01-2021, 23:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
For now using the Cunningham should be fine. Do you also have a flattening reef on the leech? But I'd recommend you take it into a sailmaker; it shouldn't be too much for them to set new cringles, if the sail is in good shape and worth keeping.

Yeah I will consult with the local sailmaker. Iím sure a fixing point on the leech might help.
Old 26-01-2021, 09:33   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to caffel

One trick would be to work with the outhaul tension in coordination w the Cunningham and see how that changes the shape. Make sure to check the leech cord as well. If the sail is on the new side, some time in use will stretch out the leech and the problem may fade.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 09:34   #8

Boat: Westerly Konsort

How much is it out by? I had an eye fitted lower at the head on one of my sails and that worked well.
Halam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 09:42   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
I have a sail off a Seawind 1000xl on my Seawind 1000 (extended to an XL) The sail is too long in the luff as the boom on the factory xl is a little lower on the mast.
Iíve attached the sail on what I assume is the Cunningham cringle, and it fits well.
Iíve noticed that the leech, or around 1/4 of the lower rear of the sail, is somewhat flatter than I would expect when under pressure. Thereís a good belly in the sail and by tightening the top lift I can get some more shape towards the rear of the sail.
Apart from the obvious lowering the boom, (major surgery), does anyone have an opinion if this is caused by the sail being secured by the Cunningham cringle or is there a way to get a better sail shape?
I suspect that by attaching the tack at the cunninham cringle and the clew at the normal clew attachment point on the sail you no longer have a straight (horizontal) pull from the tack to the clew. This could distort the shape.

The solution might be to create a new clew approximately the same distance up the leech that the cunninham is up the luff.

Be cautious though that you don't have the new clew attached where there is insufficient reinforcing material. A sailmaker can add some material to the corner patch so that you don't pull out that new clew in strong winds.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 10:02   #10

Boat: csy 37

i bought a used but nearly new sail from a tartan 37 that looked like it would fit my csy 37, based on the published dimensions. when i hoisted it it turned out to be eight inches too long in the luff, but otherwise fit fine.
i took it to a sailmaker who wanted to cut a foot off the bottom of the sail. i thought that would be too much loss of sail area - the csy 37 is a heavy boat and needs all the sail you can put up. so i had him cut the eight inches off the head of the sail. lot less loss of sail area. he had to make a new headboard to fit it, and the head of the sail is now a bit flat instead of pointy, but otherwise fit great.
Old 26-01-2021, 10:06   #11

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

The Cunningham tight upwind and the flat shape is probably desirable up wind most of the time. a main is generally pretty flat when sailing to weather. if you look at most racing boats sailing upwind, the Cunningham is usually pretty tight. You may be loosing a little power off the wind in lighter conditions, but we're talking a few seconds a mile... you can loosen the luff at the halyard to get some shape downwind, as well as slacking outhaul, or just use the normal main sail tack and run with a baggy luff downwind. But if you're not racing, its probably not an issue... Post a Pic so we can actually see the shape.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 13:19   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds
Send a message via Skype™ to SaltyMetals

You could use the cunningham , you could have a new cringle put in the leech but either way you lose sail area. Why not have a local sailmaker reduce the head a sufficient amount that would then result in the boom riding higher? That way you lose very little sail area and it is a simple and inexpensive adjustment.
Andrew
Old 26-01-2021, 13:26   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:

Find a GOOD independent sail maker. There are still a few around. They have software to model your sail vs the designed sail and may be able to safely modify the sail.

My gut says add to the roach, that should be easier to reinforce. But hey Iím a delivery guy what do I know.

Of course if you add to the roach you move the COE up, as compared to the sail the boat was designed for. So you may have to feed a tad sooner.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profileó
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 13:50   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I suspect that by attaching the tack at the cunninham cringle and the clew at the normal clew attachment point on the sail you no longer have a straight (horizontal) pull from the tack to the clew. This could distort the shape.

The solution might be to create a new clew approximately the same distance up the leech that the cunninham is up the luff.

Be cautious though that you don't have the new clew attached where there is insufficient reinforcing material. A sailmaker can add some material to the corner patch so that you don't pull out that new clew in strong winds.
Yeah that's why I asked about the flattening reef in the leech. If it is there already it works pretty well for shrinking the main (in conjunction with the Cunningham). I actually do that with my main to raise the boom the 4 inches or so when I get tired of it hitting my head.
I don't think sailmakers would think taking it down at the head would work too well.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 14:35   #15

Thanks for the input. A few things to try. Iíll get some photos next tim I sail and post.

Tags
sail