Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 12:23   #61

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: s/v Irvmiren - Swan 68 sinks, 6 rescued

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I bow and acknowledge to wikipedia. I'd always heard it came from a boeing engineer.

I stand corrected.
I know. I even remember watching a show on NatGeo about rocket-sleds. They attributed the phrase to an engineer called Murphy in that team too!
I think the real Murphy's law is "not sold where Guinness is.."
Old 02-07-2014, 13:00   #62

Murphy's Law Junior

If a quote can be misused or misquoted it will.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 20:14   #63

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Remember, the cruiser's Murphy is an optimist!

Jim
Old 03-07-2014, 05:42   #64
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Remember, the cruiser's Murphy is an optimist!

Jim
No.... Murphy is a sadist. He inflicts pain and suffering. Sailors are optimists, that's why they get into trouble.

BZT
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:47   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: s/v Irvmiren - Swan 68 sinks, 6 rescued

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
No.... Murphy is a sadist. He inflicts pain and suffering. Sailors are optimists, that's why they get into trouble.

BZT
LMBO...
You got that right...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 20:51   #66

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And then there's Cates' corollary to the law: whatever it is that goes wrong will do so at the time when it is most difficult to correct.

A
Old 07-07-2014, 08:36   #67

Re: s/v Irvmiren - Swan 68 Update, 6 rescued

I have observed the continual gutting and export of interior items off Irvmiren. Still docked at Lewes Town dock, much to the dismay of the Town who most likely doesn't share the view that the Dock is a repair facility. I learned that the keel is closer to 14", and the total height of the boat is what prevented the haul out many weeks ago. The story of the source of the water has changed, and now the latest (possibly final from two sources)?is purported failure of the air conditioning system through hull...Would be interesting to know more technical aspects of how long this failure would take to fill the boat three feet of water from the floor(confirmed), interior water line and some speculation concerning how none of the crew or passengers noticed, or sounded any alarms ...Other new news, after Irvmiren abandoned, floated south maybe 30 miles to off Bethany Beach,DE,was towed from Bethany.. Lewes has virtually no or very little capacity to repair boats of this size,especially engines...and with current repairs price tag approaching 500k. questions remain..
Dougher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 17:35   #68

Re: s/v Irvmiren - Swan 68 Update, 6 rescued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougher View Post
I have observed the continual gutting and export of interior items off Irvmiren. Still docked at Lewes Town dock, much to the dismay of the Town who most likely doesn't share the view that the Dock is a repair facility. I learned that the keel is closer to 14", and the total height of the boat is what prevented the haul out many weeks ago. The story of the source of the water has changed, and now the latest (possibly final from two sources)?is purported failure of the air conditioning system through hull...Would be interesting to know more technical aspects of how long this failure would take to fill the boat three feet of water from the floor(confirmed), interior water line and some speculation concerning how none of the crew or passengers noticed, or sounded any alarms ...Other new news, after Irvmiren abandoned, floated south maybe 30 miles to off Bethany Beach,DE,was towed from Bethany.. Lewes has virtually no or very little capacity to repair boats of this size,especially engines...and with current repairs price tag approaching 500k. questions remain..
Thanks for the detailed update. Though I think you meant the keel was 14' not 14". I did notice that AIS seemed to be working as the most recent location for the boat was Lewes Delaware. Still wonder why they did not tow into Ocean City as opposed to Lewes. Ocean City has a large fishing fleet and I'm sure the engine work could have been handled better there. Maybe the 14 foot keel was a problem in towing the boat there. Another reason I would never own a 68 foot Swan. Still got to feel for the owner having put up the boat for sale before all this happened and now the expense to making it ship shape again. Though I guess it's the insurance company that is taking most of the hit.
Old 20-06-2015, 14:40   #69

Boat: Catalina 445

So here's the story I heard but maybe adds some info. The boat captain was not on board due to some paperwork issues (non-US citizen). A different crew was hired to move the boat from Florida who were not very familiar with boat. They ran into very heavy seas. Water level was building below floorboards, difficulty identifying source of water due to ton of items being moved by owner stored both under and above floorboards. It's believed that in trying to find the source of water one of crew damaged a valve or hose creating a higher rate of fooding going above floorboards.

It was later found that the initial source of water was green water coming in anchor locker which was not watertight due to possible modifications. I don't believe that alone caused the mayday. By the time the boat was towed in it had 2-3 feet of water above floorboards.

Sad event, beautiful boat, don't think it would have happened if the captain had been on board. Stuff happens, know your boat, don't drill into watertight bulkheads, have bilge alarms that can be heard, and have a few high capacity bilge pumps and backup giving time to find the issue.
PiMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 16:03   #70

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

As a caveat, I'll state now that I've only read about 20% of this threas so far. And it's because at the moment I've chores to tend to.

However, I've spent a lot of time on Swans, & KNOW that you have to do something absolutely moronic to sinks a 68'. Especially after having been the Sailing Master on one for quite a while.

I keep seeing references to seacocks. Though, the thing is, whether I'm brand new crew on a boat, even for a daysail, or the paid skipper, I make SURE that there is a chart, Prominently posted on or in the Nav Sta, with the location of EVERY through hull/Skin fitting onboard. As well as 1+ extra, waterproof copies, tucked into the ship's log, & or her systems equipment binder. Which is ALWAYS in the Nav Sta, unless it's being updated, or read by crew.

Such has been SOP since I was 17, & I've seen Zero to convince me to change said habits. If my comments are off base, I'll eat crow, & so be it. But I won't change the policy of documenting All of the through skin fittings on any vessel I'll be spending time on. That & teaching others to do the same, & why.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 16:48   #71

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Any skipper (and crew) worth $0.02 would have/should have drawn up such diagrams, & posted them as stated above. And as to why such wasn't done's totally beyond me.
On professional boats, it's SOP to put all of the critical information & manuals within easy reach of the Nav Sta, or similar. So what happened that this wasn't the case onboard? Either they hired a piss poor skipper & crew, or...

I can't help but think that the vessel might have more value as an insurance writeoff or sinking, than she can be sold for... But that's just cynical ole' me.

I hate seeing/the thought of such a gorgeous & amazing sailing yacht winding up in said state. Ergo my rant mode @ being pissed off by the thought of this.
The 68' which I looked after was the most amazing vessel I've had the pleasure of being charged with. And when the owner hands you the keys to such, with literally, little more than a 5 min appraisal of you over a cocktail, you try & maintain her & all surrounding her, in keeping with the highest standards, & especially the reputation which stays with her long after she's changed hands (multiple times).
Damn, she wasn't quite a J, like say, Endeavor or Shamrock, but...
So my apoligies to polite ears, for my throwing flames.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 20:30   #72

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Thanks uncivilized for this bit of wisdom which should be obvious but not sure how many of us sailors really follow this advice and can pinpoint exactly on their boat all seacock locations. I for one will make it a task this 4th of July to do this and suggest all C&C owners do the same because after all we are a bit smarter than the rest.

Thank you
Dutch1

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
schuitp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue