Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2007, 17:45   #1

Boat: Gozzard 36 Gypsy Soul
Route back to North Carolina

We are currently in the Abacos and want to make a offshore passage back to the states (preferably North Carolina). We are trying to figure out if we should first head west and then turn North when we hit the gulf stream, or just head straight back and use the stream when we do hit it. Anybody done this crossing? Thanks.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 18:33   #2

I would head northwest towards Charleston and pick up and use the Stream when you run into it. You don't want to be there if a front is coming through so heading towards Charleston gives you the option to bail out before making a more northerly turn. It is currently running pretty close to shore in the carolinas so you can still get a good lift. Obviously you can do a rhumb line course to Beaufort but we're still getting some pretty kicky weather for late spring and I personally would want more options. Hope this helps!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 18:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
You don't want to be there if a front is coming through so heading towards Charleston gives you the option to bail out before making a more northerly turn.
This would be the most serious risk that you really have to avoid. This would be more than a rough ride. Weather locally has not shifted for the better but maybe heading that way in the next week or so. I really have to agree that you want the plan that has the most options. It's not yet late enough in the spring to take more risks. We thought we had an early spring but it turned poor and April has not lived up to expectations.

It has to end and trun better soon, but watch for signs.

We are Hull 61.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 04:22   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Assuming perfect weather; Lots of folks stage at Great Sale and then go north toward Beaufort, NC. The speed lost from no Gulf Stream boost is offset by time saved not going west to catch the stream. Not uncommon for this trip to be made in 3 days or less. Having said that, do what the weather allows.

I tend to use the chicken’s method, staging and fueling at West End, then jump in the Stream and ride it north. If the weather breaks down, as it has often done, I am close enough to the east coast to get to an inlet within a day. Even then what matters most is weather. If the forecast is breaking down, I make the left turn. Don’t wait for actual conditions to degrade. We don’t have as much experience as many of the true old salts on the forum, but the worst conditions we have been in were in a squall off South Carolina. Boat and crew weathered it fine, but it was not an experience to be repeated unnecessarily.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north carolina