Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 09:47   #16

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Riding out a potential hurricane in the Bahamas

I would much rather ride out a hurricane in the Bahamas than in the coastal US. Too much stuff flying around and too crowded in the states. That said I would never stay at a dock. Too close to too many things. You are far better off on a good mooring. As for surge the Bahamas does not have the coast line for a large surge to build up on. Check out a good hidey hole or get up in the mangroves.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:59   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

I've been through a dozen hurricanes over the years, Cat1 - Cat5.
Mostly they are just a pain in the ass. More than 50% of the time you make a lot of preparations and they miss you. Living in Miami/Fort Lauderdale area for a bunch of storms the most damage I've seen comes from other people who don't tie up their boats properly and they brake loose and smash everything in their path. I went through a mild Cat1 storm here in St Maarten last year at a good marina and there was a lot of damage from boats that broke loose or snapped lines at the dock and beat themselves to death. I will stay where I am in a Cat1 - Cat3 storm otherwise I'll RUN. I have no interest in riding out another big storm at this point in life, and then living with the aftermath of no power, no water, Etc.
Contrary to what someone else posted Quote "There's a good reason why the insurance companies won't cover losses in those areas. Insurance is available to remain in hurricane zone during season, and they do cover storm damage. I have had this coverage on every boat I've owned for over 20 years. So it has nothing to do with potential of loosing my boat.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:25   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
Advise for the Bahamas during hurricane season has always been the same - GET OUT!! Unless of course you have good insurance and want a new boat.

I've been going to the Bahamas for over 30 years and there's only one thing that survives there in the long run - poured concrete, with lots of steel rebar!!
Love it!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:55   #19

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
What dockmaster at what marina where?
Tom at the Jibroom, Marsh Harbour, Abacos
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:13   #20

I wish insurance would stop paying people who do not secure their boats! Then everyone's rates would drop.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
Tom at the Jibroom, Marsh Harbour, Abacos
Look directly across from the jib room docks and see what Sandy did to those docks! Some of the boats that were left there are still there!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:41   #22

I know people who left the Bahamas and went north to New Jersey and New York and got walloped by Sandy..... Hurricanes can go anywhere except below a certain parallel...

Forget about Venezuela.... forget about much of Central America..... forget about New England after Sandy.... Hurricane hideouts on a Bahamian island sounds conservative if DONE RIGHT.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Look directly across from the jib room docks and see what Sandy did to those docks! Some of the boats that were left there are still there!
Tingum.... Many of those docks ere ready to go.... The docks at Mangoes ... looked ok after the storm.... many boats rode out the storms well there. ... you need to space out the boats and someone needs to remain there to adjust the ropes....

It sounds like a fantastic business for some marina to specialize in hurricane protection in the Bahamas..... If it was done right and the track record was great... imagine.... There would have to be an on site crew to adjust ropes, etc..... but better than fishing in Alaska!
Old 04-04-2016, 13:07   #24

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
SNIP

If all else fails in The Bahamas, put your vessel on the hard in Marsh Harbour. They reinforce the cradles and tie the boat down to concrete anchors. Cost us (for a 50'er) $525 per month.
Could you provide name of marina.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 13:13   #25

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

Nice idea, but given there is a risk of Hurricanes from Grenada to Cape Cod, exactly WHERE would you suggest we all put our boats?..

Hurricane preparedness is a fact of life on the East coast, including the Bahamas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Let me get this right....

You've already lost one boat years ago in a hurricane, and now you intend to stay in the hurricane belt once again?

Answer: The only sure way to avoid damage is to be out of the area during the hurricane season.

P.S.: I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just attempting to inject a little common sense into the discussion. There's a good reason why the insurance companies won't cover losses in those areas.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 13:20   #26

Boat: Tartan 3800

What worked for my boat about 10 years ago that was docked here in South Florida when Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma hit is this.

We doubled up on lines and chafing gear as well as set out as many fenders against the dock as possible. Rubbing against the dock however is a relatively minor concern, if it happens, it happens you can fix it. The real problem is the storm surge lifting the boat up and then having it come down on one of the pilings. This actually happened to several boats in our marina which were total losses during the storms.

To prevent that we made a "spiderweb" between the pilings set above the boat at high tide. This allows the boat to rise up some but not enough to bounce out of it's slip and down on to the pilings. The other danger is other boats that break loose, saw quite a few boats that broke free during Katrina and rammed into other boats at the marina.

All bets are off when a Cat 4 or 5 comes through though and you just have to hope the dock and your precautions hold.
SailinCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 15:51   #27

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

My boat went through Andrew too. 30' Columbia over around Marcos island. The boat was tied with a lot of line in between 2 fingers. 120 mph winds and no damage. Just laid over. Of course bare poles. Enough room for surge and wind change. Great harbor cay is great too, as previously stated. Good luck. Hey I even wrote a song about GREAT harbor. Cool place...
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 17:06   #28

My striker 37 has survived every storm and hurricane to hit florida since 1968 in the water at a dock in ft lauderdale with no damage.My uncle owned it before me and rode on the boat in storms till 2005.Hurricane whilma was the last cane he rode it out on.After whilma i have rode out every storm and hurricane on the boat in sebastian with no damage.Spiderwebbing lines works.hurricane sandy was the most fun storm.85mph winds at the dock and a 8 foot storm surge.5-6 foot waves rolling into the marina.I always add 150 gallons to my water tank before a storm for ballast.
Old 04-04-2016, 20:27   #29

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
-----There would have to be an on site crew to adjust ropes -----
Nobody's going to be adjusting lines in 100 mph sustained winds.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:31   #30

Anyone can tighten lines in high wind.I did it by myself in 85mph winds.All you do is lasso another rope over a piling and pull like crazy and tie that one off then tighten up your other lines.There wont be tension on any 1 line all the time.Pull when the boat moves toward a piling.I run triple 1 inch thick rope spring lines as well as stern and bow lines.Be sure to tie yourself off so in case you go overboard you can pull yourself up.Or keep yourself tethered on a short rope so you wont go overboard.

Tags
Bahamas, hurricane