Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2022, 08:34   #1

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Reasonable and Responsible Offshore Practice

I am moving back to the east coast of Florida in the near future. I spent last year sailing on Lake Superior on a 30ft vessel. There isn't a ton of sailing other than on the outside on the east coast, as far as I am aware. That is fine by me because I bought a sailboat to sail on the ocean. Coastal sailing on nice flat days can be nice. I am interested in getting some experience in the not so nice stuff. I am not talking about being Erik Aanderaa, but getting some work in heavier weather. Is this something that is typically done? Is it responsible and reasonable to head out in conditions that are not ideal if you have worked up to them? How does everyone else do this?

In my opinion, when stuff gets a little hairy on a crossing it is beneficial to be familiar and know how you will react. Thoughts?
_LifeInTheWild_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:16   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Reasonable and Responsible Offshore Practice

Going sailing in blustery conditions is a great idea. I define blustery as 20-30 knots, seas 3-5 ft, but NOT in a storm. I'm fond of saying that if you go out in a storm, you don't get to pick the severity.

I sail mostly Chesapeake Bay, and northeast Atlantic coastal cruising with usually no more than one overnight on a passage.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Summer time sailing along the east coast of Florida can be quite sweet. Winds are generally from the SE, usually no more than 15 knots or so. Seas, typically less than 3'.
Afternoon thunderstorms can add some spice. Florida has several inlets, some better than others.
The further south you go, the north flowing Gulf Stream, may affect your afternoon sail.
Weather forecasts are quite reliable. In the summertime, I can recite them by heart...."winds SE 10-15 knots, seas 3' or less, chance of afternoon thunderstorms"

Some thunderstorm can be quite extreme, but generally pass in 30 minutes or so.

If there is no wind, there will be no waves, but some ocean swell. Winds produce waves, simple as that. a 3' wave is not frightening.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:36   #4

I lived on the East Coast of Florida for years and worked at a parasail company for a portion of those. Nice summer days are good for not freaking friends out too bad. I have been caught out in those afternoon storms and sitting adrift waiting for them to pass sucks. Honestly, it was the lightning that scared me. I am looking to reasonably push myself. I am not trying to die, or waste taxpayer money. Appreciate the replies.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:38   #5

Boat: Allied Seawind II, 32' ketch

Lifeinthewild,

We're in Baltimore with an Allied Seawind 32'. Bermuda is an easy run. We've had trips there where we've motored almost the entire way; others with perfect breeze, and others with gale and storm conditions.

Are you on the Seawind list (Spurious Vector! I run that, so if you send me your info I can add it.

Jack
Jackg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Should add that Florida does see some hurricanes, but their tracks are usually known days in advance. While it might produce some exciting sailing, most yachties would advise it would be good time to remain in port.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg View Post
Lifeinthewild,

We're in Baltimore with an Allied Seawind 32'. Bermuda is an easy run. We've had trips there where we've motored almost the entire way; others with perfect breeze, and others with gale and storm conditions.

Are you on the Seawind list (Spurious Vector! I run that, so if you send me your info I can add it.

Jack
I should be. Hull #79 Seawind I Ketch. I am not sure that is the boat I will have in Florida. Working and getting a boat south is complicated. I am trying to decide if refitting an old boat that I have already paid for is a better option than buying a newer boat and spending a bit less on refitting her. I would 100% stick with the Seawind if I could get her to Florida. Shipping quote was about 10k. That is more than she is worth at the moment. My only real complaint with her has been the gas aux and the lack of tankage. People have sailed the Seawind all over the world people are obviously figuring it out. My wife would prefer to have a floating condo, but I am not that guy. I like small and affordable and I like to sail. Stow and go is more my style, not having to pack up the house to leave the dock. I lived on a 26' boat when I was younger. She was a fixer upper and I was a fun haver so she never got fixed. I was 100% comfortable living in her, even with the lack of standing headroom. Before I bought the seawind I was seriously considering the flush deck Kendall/Westsail that was listed on here. It was too late in the year and with Covid going on it made it impossible. That will probably forever be the one that got away. I have found that I like vessels with a heavier displacement. I prefer the freight train to the sports car. I am sorry, I know I have gone off topic a bit.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LifeInTheWild_ View Post

I am interested in getting some experience in the not so nice stuff. I am not talking about being Erik Aanderaa, but getting some work in heavier weather. Is this something that is typically done? Is it responsible and reasonable to head out in conditions that are not ideal if you have worked up to them? How does everyone else do this?

In my opinion, when stuff gets a little hairy on a crossing it is beneficial to be familiar and know how you will react. Thoughts?

To your question: YES.

Indeed, it is most responsible to learn how to do so.

When I lived in San Francisco, from about 2000 to 2007, my friend Dave and I would go sailing EVERY SINGLE FRIDAY, come hell or high water, sometimes we got both! I had a Catalina 22 from 1983 to 1987, and a Catalina 25 from 1987 to when we bought this boat in 1998. We dry sailed the C22 on The Bay in winter, trailered it up to a large lake in the summer and learned how to anchor out. The C25 was a fixed keel stayed in the water on the Bay and we sailed her down and back to Monterey. I experienced a lot of heavy weather on The Bay in the C25, but when Dave and I started our Fridays Off, is when we really learned heavier weather sailing. He tended to get seasick out in the ocean unless he was at the helm, but we went for it, time and time again.

This is just a long way of saying that the only way to learn how to do it is to go do it, responsibly.

Practice, practice, practice. You'll learn what works and what doesn't. And how to deal with "things" when it's windy and wavy.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:41   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Many times you will simply "get caught" in some pretty rough conditions if you plan to sail in say 20 knots.

I like to use fronts when I sail here on the lower Chesapeake Bay.

I like to sail North just before the front passes through then use the strong Northerly winds to ride home on a few days later..

Three times now though the forecast of 20-22 knots has been off. Once the winds were gusting to about 29 knots and another time steady at 30 knots and gusting higher.

That last time it was also wind against tide.....which made for some steep waves mid bay near the North Shipping Channel

And since I only have one reef, the time when the wind got above thirty the waves were steep and breaking into the boat until I was in position to head DDW.

Video was taken near the end of the crossing of the lower bay and things had laid down some but you can still here the wind singing in the rigging and the boat was still pushing a lot of water. I feel lucky the wind didn't get much higher.

As it was my dodger frame got broken and my bow lights no longer worked probably due to the bow spending so much time under water

I did make the 20 mile crossing in 3 hours though so that was nice.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:47   #10

Boat: Irwin 43 MkIII

I have raced on a dozen boats for decades and have owned progressively 5 of my own. Racing tends to train you very well. The race usually takes place in many different conditions - some unexpected. You will learn from others very quickly in these scenarios.

Cruising itineraries tend to look for weather windows, so generally the conditions will be less exciting.

If you want experience, crew as many races as you can. The boats may be different, but most techniques apply to all boats. Cruising will allow you not to push too hard, but experience from racing is applicable to all boats.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:49   #11

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

We owned our '75 Tartan 41 for a few years before we planned to sail from NJ to the Caribbean. We kept it in CT/RI for summer and sailed back to NJ for winter storage so we could outfit it locally. One October weekend we planned to sail to NJ the forecast was sustained 40knots NW, 12-15ft seas, sunny. Several people told us not to go, but figuring we were planning to go offshore for weeks, 40knt should not stop us. We went and while we had some minor mechanical issues, all went pretty well. Our confidence in the boat and ourselves went up. After that we made some changes like adding a removable cutter stay and stay sail. Never had to sail in that high of winds since. But we did beat into St. Martin in over 30knt and that cutter sail was awesome!

That said, there are a lot of protected waters to go south if you want.. Chessy, Pamlico sound, ICW....
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 13:03   #12

In rough weather the high offshore sea is the safe place, close to the coast is the danger zone. Be sure to have no leaks and that Your bilge pumps are working, and do some trainig in heaving to and running off draging lines. And train reefing and getting sails down and secured.

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 13:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clakiep View Post
In rough weather the high offshore sea is the safe place, close to the coast is the danger zone. Be sure to have no leaks and that Your bilge pumps are working, and do some trainig in heaving to and running off draging lines. And train reefing and getting sails down and secured.

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties

Heaving to, what a jacked up concept that is. This boat is the first larger (>17ft) boat I have ever sailed. I took it out on Lake Superior to go for a nice leisurely sail. I found that the Ketch rig, combined with the long keel, tracks really well. I did read somewhere on how to balance the sails and minimize helm. It was a thing of beauty...until it came time to tack. I tried over and over again. Every time I did I ended up backwinded and hove to. I finally fired up the iron and pushed her through and went back to the dock. I got to reading and found that I just needed to ease the mizzen on that point of sail and everything would have been fine. Not a problem since. I suppose I should really work on heaving to on purpose. The idea of dragging lines and running off are tactics that I am not familiar with in practice. That is exactly the kind of stuff I desire to learn and experience. Advice noted and taken. Same with the Racing bit. That has been on my radar for a bit. Maybe this summer I will get some in. Crew is always needed. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2022, 13:40   #14

Boat: CLC Skerry

[QUOTE=MicHughV;3569917]
Weather forecasts are quite reliable. In the summertime, I can recite them by heart...."winds SE 10-15 knots, seas 3' or less, chance of afternoon thunderstorms"

I remember this so well! It always ends with "Inland waters smooth to a light chop." Right?
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 14:44   #15

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Definitely need to head out in inclimate weather, so you learn your boat and/or get exposure to what 20+, 30, 40 knots of wind and associated seas are like. We get small craft advisories here on long island sound a number of times a year...only broken a couple of minor items in the process, but developed confidence in my skills/abilities & also in the boat. Motored down the channel heading out to the sound when blowing 45-50+ in my previous boat (Catalina 27) and wisely turned around, as the sound of the shrieking wind thru the rigging unnerved me. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore