Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2022, 20:36   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Reasonable and Responsible Offshore Practice

I think that Kendall you were referring to was (is?) out here in my harbor in So Cal. How far afield were you thinking of travelling? The Santa Barbara Channel is a great place to practice what you are referring to, and I too think it is a good idea. Heading out of the SF Bay is good too, but you have some serious currents to deal with at times... or maybe you'd like to practice those too? The channel here gives a full range of experiences available, sometimes in the same day, within 10 or 15 miles, and there are harbors or anchorages to retreat to. Or you can practice around Point Conception, which is fairly famous for some raucous weather and seas at times, and you have a good anchorage close by to retreat to also.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 20:55   #32

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I think that Kendall you were referring to was (is?) out here in my harbor in So Cal. How far afield were you thinking of travelling? The Santa Barbara Channel is a great place to practice what you are referring to, and I too think it is a good idea. Heading out of the SF Bay is good too, but you have some serious currents to deal with at times... or maybe you'd like to practice those too? The channel here gives a full range of experiences available, sometimes in the same day, within 10 or 15 miles, and there are harbors or anchorages to retreat to. Or you can practice around Point Conception, which is fairly famous for some raucous weather and seas at times, and you have a good anchorage close by to retreat to also.
The Kendall was the one out of Boston. Her name was Mona. As far as how far, I hope to be in Florida with in the year. That presents the Gulf Stream. It is funny how people, including myself not to long ago, take the Gulf Stream for granted. I have done some reading and learn how wild things can get in that thing. I would love to head west someday. The South Pacific has interested me since I seen Donovan's Reef for the first time. I know it isn't reality, but the landscape seems to be consistent. There is just something about that area that calls to me. Will I ever make it? I don't know. I am not even sure my wife likes sailing. I may end up in the Caribbean with her flying out to where ever I am at. That is another thread.
_LifeInTheWild_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:10   #33

Boat: Norseman 447

If one sails for enough time, which may just be a long afternoon in SF bay, you’ll eventually run into nasty, unpleasant and uncomfortable weather. The first few times it happens, you’ll have to try to survive it. Stuff will break. You’ll make mistakes, stupid and otherwise.

The question then is: does all that happen close to home where you hopefully have the ability to get to a place you can recover from all the "bad stuff?" Or are you halfway around the world with no shelter and no support?
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 18:11   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

nasty uncomfortable weather in SF Bay? Those are the best days!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 07:59   #35

Boat: Albin 25
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

There two schools at the sailing school where i taught. Some, most like the idea of taking people out in challenging conditions, which meant over 25. I learned and practiced heavy weather techniques in light to moderate conditions. I was very glad, when the drogue trip-line fouled, that wed deployed it in 8-12 knots of breeze. It took three strong guys to pull it back to the boat.
The first time I encountered severe weather, about 2/3 of the way returning to SF from Hawaii, I was never worried or short of practical or mental resources. I am of the school, dont go looking for trouble, because it will find you soon enough.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 08:43   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LifeInTheWild_ View Post
. I would 100% stick with the Seawind if I could get her to Florida. Shipping quote was about 10k. That is more than she is worth at the moment. .
When you ask for quotes tell them that you aren't in a rush and would like a deadhead quote.

Trucker loath driving an empty truck. If they are returning to Florida without a load scheduled, they are motivated to negotiate. I've done this four times and it was pennies on the dollar. Everyone wins.

Good luck.

BTW INMO sailing the Great Lakes is far more difficult than the ocean. To get another perspective, look for old articles on Ted Turner's remarks about "pond sailing" in the Chicago Yacht Club's race to Mackinac. His comments after the race were quite different than after. Lake Michigan schooled this hot shot and humbled him in a big way.

Another thought on the advantage of upping your skills in the Midwest is that you are always close to help should the lesson get the best of you.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 08:47   #37

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

With an EPIRB and the equipment to survive a couple of days in the water if the worst happens---- go for it, start slow and work your way up.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 11:10   #38

Boat: Hunter 260

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Mostly a small boat sailor/racer but have done deliveries from Maine to the Bahamas, messed around on the West Coast – SF Bay to BC and finished the R2AK in 2018.

This question kinda struck a cord. My thoughts are start with a decent weather forecast of 15 to 20mph and dip a toe in (given that your boat is prepped appropriately). The ability to reef quickly, efficiently and safely is pretty huge. (Headsail selection is big consideration too.) You can actually balance a small boat (and smile – sort of) short tacking in Johnstone Strait at 30mph plus but ……nice to practice beforehand.

I have yet to heave to in real conditions, (have thought about it hard once) but lee shores scare me.

Have fun – the heavy weather will instill confidence in your abilities and your boat.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 11:28   #39

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LifeInTheWild_ View Post
I am moving back to the east coast of Florida in the near future. I spent last year sailing on Lake Superior on a 30ft vessel. There isn't a ton of sailing other than on the outside on the east coast, as far as I am aware. That is fine by me because I bought a sailboat to sail on the ocean. Coastal sailing on nice flat days can be nice. I am interested in getting some experience in the not so nice stuff. I am not talking about being Erik Aanderaa, but getting some work in heavier weather. Is this something that is typically done? Is it responsible and reasonable to head out in conditions that are not ideal if you have worked up to them? How does everyone else do this?

In my opinion, when stuff gets a little hairy on a crossing it is beneficial to be familiar and know how you will react. Thoughts?
It was a stormy day many years ago (before I had a boat) and I drove down to the marina to see the conditions first hand. It was howling, maybe high 30's. The waves were rolling over the top of the breakwater and the salt spray on the bay was blowing horizontal.

Along the malecon came young teen age friend and his buddy, hunched against the wind, barely able to walk.

"Hey Fred, we're going to take out my dad's boat, want to come along?"

"Yeah, for sure!"

And we headed out in his dad's C&C 38, of course the roller furling genoa was too big and our sailing left a lot to be desired. But we learned quite a bit about handling a keel boat in really heavy weather.

That young man had a yearning to learn everything he could about sailing, including heavy weather. His yearning did not end that day and he kept pushing the limits. Now, 40 years later he is one of the top sailors in the Pacific Northwest, and is often included in top crews on racing boats around the world.

Always push yourself into tough situations, it will grow you to become a better sailor.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 20:09   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Going sailing in blustery conditions is a great idea. I define blustery as 20-30 knots, seas 3-5 ft, but NOT in a storm. I'm fond of saying that if you go out in a storm, you don't get to pick the severity.

I sail mostly Chesapeake Bay, and northeast Atlantic coastal cruising with usually no more than one overnight on a passage.

Ben
Agreed~ another Chessie sailor here. My Catalina 42 thrives in 20-30 knots on the bay- I was out on a Catamaran in 40k in November 2021, as well. The biggest challenge comes when youre pulling into the slip- sailing in blustery conditions is a blast! It also helps you learn your boat.
SofaKingFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 09:28   #41

I am newly relocated to coastal sailing on the Texas coast. 90% of my sailing a Catalina 250wk has been solo. I have spent time in both cold and windy conditions under 30 knots. It has been essential. Few of the posted replies mention much about crew participation. I suspect the presence or ansence of experienced, competent crew is a consideration I think deserving of comments. Having sailed as a crew member with competent captains in foul weather, although inshore, I learned a great deal. Perhaps one option to consider is to look for experience on a boat captained by some acquaintance already possessing the needed skill sets? Maybe even inviting that captain aboard your own boat as crew or helmsman to do some hands on? I have met a few such people and wish I had the gumption to invite them on more outings for my own benefit.
gottoaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 10:32   #42

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Hello Life In The Wild:
Long time sailor in New England and Florida's East Coast and Keys. Nice areas. Stone Crab has the best advice for moving a boat, find an empty back haul and negotiate a fair price. I've done that a few times. Works.

As for experience: Sailing school. The value is spending time with an experienced sailor who will work through your questions with you on board a boat. I won't pitch the folks for whom I work. My experience is that schools are all good enough but not all the same. Find one that matches your needs. Take at least the ASA 103, 104, and 105 courses. I suggest a school near where you plan to sail.

Have you read Paul Trammell's books? Might be worth the time.

Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 14:06   #43

We are lucky here in Maine, with 4000 islands. When you go out to practice in heavy wind/seas/current you always have multiple back up plans as there are likely to be decent safe harbors in every direction. So you can change your mind about where to go if you are taking too much pounding on the beam.
One day you will encounter rough stuff regardless of how much you have planned to avoid it. My thought is dont make that your first rodeo!
Of course, I personally love storms and how you can really feel every force that is applied to the boat and you become an extension of it/ with it. Have fun.
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore