Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2023, 03:55   #1

Boat: X442
Question for divers

So the latest theory on how the pipeline in the Baltic Sea was blown up revolves around the charter of a Bavaria 50.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...pelines-report

Question for those in the know - is it realistic to dive to 80m depths installing two tons worth of explosives using this type/size of yacht as a platform? It seems far fetched to me but just trying to decide how far fetched exactly. Better not make this thread into a political thing though.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:17   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Question for divers

The short answer is definately yes! It would not even be a much of a challenge with a little planning for a couple guys that know what they're doing.

Tech divers have been routinely diving to 80m since the 1980s.

If the mission was carried out on the sailboat a series of dives using closed-circuit rebreathers on trimix would be likely. My guess is bottom time would be limited by water temperature. With heated dry suits realistically a series of one hour bottom time dives were used. The explosives could simply lowered to the site in easily manageable package sizes, moved into position, and wired up.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:19   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Question for divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
So the latest theory on how the pipeline in the Baltic Sea was blown up revolves around the charter of a Bavaria 50.

Question for those in the know - is it realistic to dive to 80m depths installing two tons worth of explosives using this type/size of yacht as a platform? It seems far fetched to me but just trying to decide how far fetched exactly. Better not make this thread into a political thing though.

The article indicates that the Bavaria 50 was not a suitable boat- these dives required a bell and and that boat could not have carried one. If indeed the Bavaria 50 was involved at all, a second vessel would likely have been needed, as the article states.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:43   #4

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

80m is easily done with hypoxic trimix but getting all the explosives where it's needed is likely to be a bit more difficult.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:55   #5

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
80m is easily done with hypoxic trimix but getting all the explosives where it's needed is likely to be a bit more difficult.
I’ve certainly done deeper divers into water probably as cold on open circuit (325 feet fresh water, mid 30 degree f temp deeper than 150’) but it’s a long dive, mostly from the deco time. As I recall it always something like a 5 hour dive for 20 mins on the bottom.

Depending on the profile of the dive the rebreather may decrease deco time since it can adjust the mix you are breathing dynamically to maximize your partial pressure of O2 and therefor reduce the partial pressure of inert gasses. There are limitations, a PPO2 > 1.6 will render you unconscious pretty quickly. On a square profile dive (down, stay at a single depth, ascend) it may have less of an impact if the diver open circuit diver can optimize mixes.

Of course a CCR diver still has to carry all the bail out bottles planning for a worst case CCR failure, which is just as you reach the end of your planned bottom time.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:38   #6

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post

I don't see where you get "two tons of explosives" - this is what I read:

...the amount of explosives used in the sabotage attacks, estimated to be several hundred kilograms...

So, generously assuming "several hundred" means 600k that gives us 1,320lbs - two tons would be 4,000lbs. I know nothing about explosives, but it sounds to me like they could get the job done with a lot less bang, I mean its just a pipe right?

I think a Bavaria 50 could easily carry that plus the 6 man crew, dive gear, etc., etc. - it would have been cramped to be sure, but the distance from Rostok to the site is short.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 08:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Just a thought....couldn't they have just lowered the explosives without diver assist. A good depth sounder can easily see what's on the bottom at 80M...250 odd feet.
Wouldn't have to be a direct placement either, as the shock waves could probably cause the damage...much like submarine depth charges of bygone days.
No expert on the matter, just mulling over possibilities....
And why that location...???
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 09:45   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
I don't see where you get "two tons of explosives"

You didn’t read far enough:

“Some experts say up to 2,000kg would have been needed.”
Old 11-03-2023, 10:25   #9

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I’ve certainly done deeper divers into water probably as cold on open circuit (325 feet fresh water, mid 30 degree f temp deeper than 150’) but it’s a long dive, mostly from the deco time. As I recall it always something like a 5 hour dive for 20 mins on the bottom.

Depending on the profile of the dive the rebreather may decrease deco time since it can adjust the mix you are breathing dynamically to maximize your partial pressure of O2 and therefor reduce the partial pressure of inert gasses. There are limitations, a PPO2 > 1.6 will render you unconscious pretty quickly. On a square profile dive (down, stay at a single depth, ascend) it may have less of an impact if the diver open circuit diver can optimize mixes.

Of course a CCR diver still has to carry all the bail out bottles planning for a worst case CCR failure, which is just as you reach the end of your planned bottom time.
Do your hang time on 80% O2 and you could cut that deco time in half at least. A good drysuit will work in 30* water. Either rebreather or Stargon at depth. It's definitely doable with off the shelf SCUBA gear but the bear would be moving the explosives. Easier to do this operation with a ROV or submersible.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:46   #10

Boat: Lagoon 380

I dove under ice wearing a US Army dry suit. Dry gloves, latex hood over neoprene, the works. Even tried chemical hand and feet warmers. I was only good for 20 minutes, and then my hands felt like fire. I cant take cold [emoji30]
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:11   #11

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
You didn’t read far enough:

“Some experts say up to 2,000kg would have been needed.”
Oops.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 15:42   #12

Question for divers

I don’t have any experience with explosives other than as a spectator but I was in Sydney anchored near cottage point when an under water explosives expert demolished the remaining concrete structures at Illawong bay, it took a lot of time and ordnance to reduce that concrete to rubble. Later, much later, I was at Mourilyan harbour when contractors were engaged to blast a deeper passage through the entrance .....and that was a lot of tons of explosive for practically no depth gain so the dredge crane that dug the Sydney harbour tunnel trench was put on site to mechanically do what explosives failed to accomplish despite weeks of spectacular water plumes.
Apparently correct placement is very important.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 15:59   #13

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

And yet you can take out a tank with a single shoulder fired RPG. How big of a shaped charge would you really need to punch a hole in a pipe? Or how many tank mines would it take? 80m ain't that deep. You really don't need a deco bell. You can bounce dive to that depth on mixed gas and have a very short decompression time, especially if done on O2 rich gas at 30'. Or do it on a rebreather.

I want to know what kind of anchor they used.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:59   #14

Boat: Sabre 402

The pipes involved are apparently made of steel more than an inch thick, which are then covered in concrete to weight them down. (Filled with gas they would tend to float, no?) You'd need more than a cherrybomb to knock a hole in them.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 13:01   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
The pipes involved are apparently made of steel more than an inch thick, which are then covered in concrete to weight them down. (Filled with gas they would tend to float, no?) You'd need more than a cherrybomb to knock a hole in them.
Clearly. But apparently we have a whole lot of underwater demolition experts here