Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2021, 14:48   #1

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate
Ovni 37... Hydrovane? Aries?

Hello everyone.

My wife and I recently upgraded to an Ovni 37. The boat is in refit at the moment in preparation for a South Pacific trip coming this spring or next depending on when French Polynesia opens back up to sailors.

I personally consider a windvane self steering gear the most important piece of safety equipment for a short handed crew, with autopilot second, and as such, something to thoughtfully consider. I am in a conundrum between two choices:

Hydrovane:

I know that many of the aluminum centerboard boats carry a secondary stern board (dagger or centerboard) that can be used to increase directional stability when offshore.

I imagine this is because the boat is twitchy like ours is.

The fact that many similarly designed boats employ a secondary stabilizer board has me strongly considering a Hydrovane Self Steering, which would allow us to secure the main rudder (acting as the secondary stabilizer board) and let the vane's rudder to do the steering.

It also uses far less space on the sugar scoop, not only because I can mount it off center, but because the mounting system is a triangle instead of 4 point.

Anyone with a centerboard boat have a Hydrovane? Any personal experiences to share? How is it in quartering seas?

Aires:

The Aries is a flip up model. Excellent condition.
The servo-pendulum steers the main rudder. Takes up most of the sugar scoop because of the way its mounted- centered and 4 point mounting requiring a large bracket.

Anyone have an centerboard boat with an Aries? Please share personal experiences: is it twitchy? Does it handle quartering seas?

Do you have a centerboard boat?

Would like anyone with centboard boats to chime in and share any windvane anecdotes that may be helpful.

Especially if you have a secondary stabilizer board that you can raise/lower to help understand the difference it makes.

Thank you everyone.
Old 10-09-2021, 15:07   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Ovni 37... Hydrovane? Aries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
Hello everyone.

My wife and I recently upgraded to an Ovni 37. The boat is in refit at the moment in preparation for a South Pacific trip coming this spring or next depending on when French Polynesia opens back up to sailors.

I personally consider a windvane self steering gear the most important piece of safety equipment for a short handed crew, with autopilot second, and as such, something to thoughtfully consider. I am in a conundrum between two choices:

Hydrovane:

I know that many of the aluminum centerboard boats carry a secondary stern board (dagger or centerboard) that can be used to increase directional stability when offshore.

I imagine this is because the boat is twitchy like ours is.

The fact that many similarly designed boats employ a secondary stabilizer board has me strongly considering a Hydrovane Self Steering, which would allow us to secure the main rudder (acting as the secondary stabilizer board) and let the vane's rudder to do the steering.

It also uses far less space on the sugar scoop, not only because I can mount it off center, but because the mounting system is a triangle instead of 4 point.

Anyone with a centerboard boat have a Hydrovane? Any personal experiences to share? How is it in quartering seas?

Aires:

The Aries is a flip up model. Excellent condition.
The servo-pendulum steers the main rudder. Takes up most of the sugar scoop because of the way its mounted- centered and 4 point mounting requiring a large bracket.

Anyone have an centerboard boat with an Aries? Please share personal experiences: is it twitchy? Does it handle quartering seas?

Do you have a centerboard boat?

Would like anyone with centboard boats to chime in and share any windvane anecdotes that may be helpful.

Especially if you have a secondary stabilizer board that you can raise/lower to help understand the difference it makes.

Thank you everyone.
Hydrovanes are in a niche, since it can have the option of an emergency rudder. Again, its an option, and cost $$.

I don't have a sugar scoop or centerboard, but I purchased the Windy (link below) and if you talk to Imre, he is very knowledgeable about his product and could determine your best option. Note, it is a fraction of the cost of the others. The usual disclaimer, I am not related to the business, just a satisfied customer as per my post below.

https://windyselfsteering.com/selfsteering/

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ne-243391.html
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 20:31   #3

Boat: Gloucester 16, 16 feet
Re: Ovni 37... Hydrovane? Aries?

Doesn't look like you are headed that way, but steer clear of SouthAtlantic Windvanes. I lost my money. My boat is a centerboarder but very small, 16-feet.
Intead, I have had success building my own simple trim tab. Good if you are stern hung.
Ed Haile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, hydrovane, ovni