Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2022, 04:27   #31

Re: Ovetaken by boat hauling fishing lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlie1 View Post
How did he know that you weren't trolling lines? annoying
The happy sailor was trolling, the cranky sailor was worried about fouling his prop and yelling into his VHF. Happy sailor didn't reply so cranky sailor vented on anonymous forum and now feels much better. Happy sailor still clueless what the drama was all about. All happy sailors know that trolled lines follow the vessels wake.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 05:12   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ovetaken by boat hauling fishing lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsnall View Post
The happy sailor was trolling, the cranky sailor was worried about fouling his prop and yelling into his VHF. Happy sailor didn't reply so cranky sailor vented on anonymous forum and now feels much better. Happy sailor still clueless what the drama was all about. All happy sailors know that trolled lines follow the vessels wake.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 05:32   #33
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Ovetaken by boat hauling fishing lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
So I am on a passage between islands and so vast as the ocean is, there is this sailor who just had to sail exactly behind me on my same course.. both under motor. I spot him miles away and realize he is way faster and will overtake me quickly. Ok fine.. I keep an eye on him and this guy is now just really tailgating me. I start wondering if there is anyone keeping watch. I get uncomfortable start preparing my horn and get ready to bear off 90 degrees. Then he turns a bit finally and overtakes with maybe 30 meters separation. He waves all smiley and I can even recognize facial features fairly well. Anyhow.. I think he is being stupid but whatver it is fine.. he has already almost passed us.. then I see he is hauling fishing lines.. I immediately turned sharp off course stepped out of the Cockpit and yelled out a piece of my mind.. I tried to contact him on VHF and ofc no reply. God knows if his radio was even on.

In fhe aftermath I was wondering was I overzealous by thinking overtaking a sailboat hauling fishing lines is an unnecessary risk? are the chances of fouling our propeller really that small? My instinctive impulse was thinking what if they break at the worse moment, what if they just drift off enough and Murphy rears his head?.. but I dunno, this guy was so non chalant about it... makes one just wonder afterwards..

He sees a guy waving his arms and then shouting on the radio about nothing wrong, and you expect him to engage with you? In fact, that is how fights start and he did the mature thing by not responding.

Be less cranky.

BTW, fishing line is not big enough to do any of the things you fear. I've wrapped it up enough times. Additionally, with sinkers and lures, it sinks rapidly, and like an anchor rode, only a short section is shallow enough to foul you. Maybe you should learn to fish so that you would understand it.

Tags
boat, fish, fishing