Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2008, 17:41   #1

One Handed Knot Tying

I've been working on one handed knot tying techniques. I came up with one that ties the bowline, clove hitch, buntline, fisherman, munter, slip and inline fig-8.

This is a video link on making the munter hitch, which is the foundation of the other knots:

Clicking around you can get to the bowline and clove hitch. The munter video was slowed down, because the opening moves are the most critical - most confusing.
tabasco1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 17:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Hey...I can do a one handed overhand knot.

Does it count if you lay the knot down on a table and then tie it?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 17:59   #3

David,

It's all fair game. However, I was taking a purist approach. Only the resistance of the hand is involved with this technique. I started this pursuit thinking that a surface would be needed. It can be done in air!
tabasco1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 18:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
That's cool tabasco. I was just messing with you.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 18:21   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
A one handed bowline and throwing a clove hitch are the only two I've found that really mattered. Being able to tie both quickly can be useful. The one handed bowline is actually easy to tie with exception speed and worth the practice.

Bunt line hitches are almost a dead knot given it was most popular when the cordage of the day was natural fibers. Many of the old knots are not that valuable since the new synthetic ropes have been developed and don't hold as well as they did with the old ropes.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 18:28   #6

Boat: Irwin sloop
As a Boy Scout in Whitefish Montana we were taught a single handed bowline as a climbing knot, it has served me well for over half a century. I can think of circumstances where a one handed knot could really save your bacon.
Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 18:31   #7

Boat: Knysna 480
As a surgeon I've been tieing one handed knots for 25 years. I had no idea you could tie one handed sailing knots! You can teach an old dog new tricks.
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 01:19   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrendemd View Post
As a surgeon I've been tieing one handed knots for 25 years. I had no idea you could tie one handed sailing knots! You can teach an old dog new tricks.
Surgeons are famous for their knot-tying skills, especially under difficult circumstances...
Goto:
http://plasticsurgery.ucsd.edu/Porta...ual%5B1%5D.pdf
and select “One-Handed Technique”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 06:43   #9

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Navy bootcamp taught me the one handed bowline. Supposedly so I could grab a rope if I fell overboard and tie myself in. Yeah right!

I did impress my wife and kids with it though when we were swiming off the boat and I tied in for a break. (it's great when your 6yo says, "Daddy you're a genious."
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 09:42   #10

Boat: 42 ferro, La Vanagada
trucker's hitch

As a beginner there are only two knots I know how to do: a bowline, and a 'trucker hitch' This last one I only know how to do one handed, as was taught to me by a trucker in Texas.

You lay the rope in your palm, the load end coming out between your thumb and index finger, then you 'roll' your palm so that the rope wraps on the back of your palm, continue rolling until the load end comes out by your index finger. Then with middle and ring fingers bring a loop of the free end below the line wrapped on your hand (in between your palm and rope) grab the loop with your thumb, middle and ring finger and slid your hand out and tighten by pulling on the loop.

Then, taking care not to pull on the free end, pass the the free end around what you want to tighten, pass it around the loop and then pull down. The loop will hold.

To undo, take the free end out of the loop, and yank on the free end, the knot collapses and dissapears.

Frankly I would have to sit down and study how to doit two handed..by now its so natural I dont even think about it when I am tying something.

It you start with the thumb pointing towards the free end (the wrong way) then when you put a load on the loop it will collapse grabbing the line instead of leaving a loop, so make sure your are properly positioned.
andrejsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 09:57   #11

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Navy bootcamp taught me the one handed bowline. Supposedly so I could grab a rope if I fell overboard and tie myself in. Yeah right!

I did impress my wife and kids with it though when we were swiming off the boat and I tied in for a break. (it's great when your 6yo says, "Daddy you're a genious."

Good thing she can't spell huh?
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot