Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 09:13   #16

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
What is concerning to me when coastwise mostly, is reciprocal autopilot chicken.I'm going to where the other vessel is coming from,maybe head on.I was almost rearened the other day by a couple motoring sailboat (on A.P.?) up behind me while I was under sail(barely).Missed me by maybe 50 ft,after I layed on the horn.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:18   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
freighter can come up on you in about 7-8 minutes - Ocean Girl
Quote:
A fully loaded tanker sits so low in the water it is difficult to pick out till it is 6-8 miles away. At a 25 knot closing speed you have 15-20 minutes. - Mesquaukee
Sorry! Didn't mean to muddy the waters with inaccurate info.
Erika

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 14:55   #18

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by driven View Post
I must start looking for these "rules"
The USCG has a great site - this link will get you the international and inland rules together in one neat package: Navigation Rules Online
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 17:14   #19

Boat: Bristol 38.8
You can set up many different watch schedules that work. Rule #1 is that if you are on deck offshore at night, you are wearing a harness and clipped in.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 20:26   #20

Boat: Skookum 53'
I agree CapnTony, I have been doing a 12 on 12 off watch for years, and I get the mid to noon watch, I love the quiet of the early mornings. When we used to do the 6 and 6, it always felt like I could never quite get enough sleep and that my day was 2 days long.
Old 11-07-2009, 20:38   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I like a crew of 4 with 2 on 6 off. A crew of 3 with 3 on and 6 off. 6 off seems to keep you rested. If there were only 2 persons onboard I'd suggest 6 on and 6 off just to keep the each person rested. Of course, when weather gets back then sh-- hits the fan and you help as much as possible.
Whatever works best for you is what you should do. I don't like single handing because you cannot keep a proper watch.

Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:10   #22

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Watch Commander

disclaimer: I've never used this product, the inventor lives nearby who I met a couple years back.

This little gadget is like a watch timer, but has a couple neat features, you don't have to wait to the appointed time to hit the reset, and starts off with a low volume reminder if you've dosed off before sounding a louder alarm.
Sail Safely - The Watch Commander passage timer
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 13:39   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by driven View Post
So right up front, let me state I don't have a damn clue about what I'm talking about, but making a good effor tat learning

One of the questions I originally had was "When you're away from land, what do you do when it's night time (time to sleep)? Cause you can't really anchor - or can you? Do you let the boat just float? Do you just stay up all the time?"

Let's assume weather is ideal and there's no big concerns to factor into this equation just yet...

And then I did some reading, and while my question was never posed, I think I'm come to the answer...

When you're away from any shore, in the middle of the Blue or something, you just have to work out watches between the crew members. If you're short handed this might mean rotating a couple of hours, or at worst checking everything on the horizon and various gadgets, using the autopilot and waking up after a catnap to check it all again...

So it sounds like if I ever get ambitious and go out into the blue I better make sure to work out some sort of watch schedule with my crew, and that they know at least the minimal duties they are responsible for while I sleep. (I've read what some of those responsibilities are so I won't go into detail here).

So.... am I correct in the above, and there's no secret safe trick in the middle of the ocean that doesn't require someone to be relatively paying attention? Like for instance, you can't just drop a sea anchor, and you can't just let the boat float, etc...

I know, this is a completely newb question, and some of you might laugh, but there is no post anywhere about this, everyone seems to just assume you know you have to be on watch.

Okay - my first newb question out of the way, many more to come

-Driven
Driven,

Anyone that doesn't have someone standing watch is a fool. Another concideration is making sure you have a good radar reflector. Clorox bottles don't leave a signature. Let's face it we are speaking of being the burdened vessel. A container ship can't turn in a minute. Having a radar with a setable alarm is a plus but the eyeball works as does the VHS when the ships capt. tells you he/she sees your lights but their radar didn't see you because its looking right over you. The watch period, that's up to you. 4,6,8,or12 whatever works.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 13:44   #24

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
disclaimer: I've never used this product, the inventor lives nearby who I met a couple years back.

This little gadget is like a watch timer, but has a couple neat features, you don't have to wait to the appointed time to hit the reset, and starts off with a low volume reminder if you've dosed off before sounding a louder alarm.
Sail Safely - The Watch Commander passage timer
Great idea. I have nodded off once or twice when it has been my watch. I always used to have an alarm with a snooze button on it for the late night watches. Hated the fixed 9 minute snooze and the loud noise when I forget to reset it.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 17:25   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
4 hour watches work well with 2 folks on board--just did that thru lightni9ng storms from hell....not a problem.....longer watches are foolish and shorter ones arent any fun for the sleeper in short handed situations....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 18:07   #26

Boat: Islander 37 'Taku Wind'
Two friends and myself did a trip from the Seattle area to San Francisco last October. We had a system that worked great. Between 6am and 6pm we did 3 hour watches. Between 6pm and 6am we did 2 hour watches. It worked great and the watches we did changed every day.
Old 13-07-2009, 08:05   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrsn View Post
Two friends and myself did a trip from the Seattle area to San Francisco last October. We had a system that worked great. Between 6am and 6pm we did 3 hour watches. Between 6pm and 6am we did 2 hour watches. It worked great and the watches we did changed every day.
that sounds good for the number of folks on board...we were only 2 on board and the 4 on and 4 off worked well until the weather got very very bad then we did 2 on 2 off and were beat to death when it was over.....needed a 2 day break.....lol--we are over 30.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote