Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 14:03   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS
Norfolk,VA to Savannah,GA in May

Hi all,

After doing much of the East Coast and the Bahamas I'm planning to spend my retirement sailing time in the Med, so I need to get the boat there.

There's a partial plan to join the ARC Europe 2020, but there are a number of issues including finding suitable crew and the uncertainty about the tax / duty situation landing in Europe due to Brexit.

So Plan A at the moment is to put her on a ship in Savannah and send her direct to the Med.

Only issue with that is I have to get her from Norfolk to Savannah in time for the loading on 5th - 20th April. Realistically, that means an outside passage in March. Could be ugly or might get lucky with the weather, either way it will be cold.

I'll only be able to start the passage by mid March so that really gives me only 10 - 15 days, not enough time to duck inside I don't think. And there are precious few lay up holes between Norfolk and Beaufort.

Anyone got any thoughts on the likely conditions?

Duncan
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:40   #2

Re: Norfolk,VA to Savannah,GA in May

Doh! - Just realised that I titled this thread May when I really meant March. Need more sleep.

Not surprised there's no replies, everyone's thinking 'what's the problem sailing South in May?'
Old 08-01-2020, 08:25   #3

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

I would think there are opportunities to put vessel on deck of a cargo ship out of Norfolk, Baltimore or Philly. Have you checked with other shipping agents?
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:47   #4

Thanks.

Norfolk or Baltimore would be sweet.

Checked a couple so far and only getting Fort Lauderdale and Savannah. Likely issue is that I'm looking specifically to ship direct to Montenegro and there's probably only a small market for that.

Worth doing a little more shopping around though. Maybe I need to look outside the yacht transport guys and check general freight handlers.

Duncan
Old 08-01-2020, 11:56   #5

Have you thought of shipping by truck to Savannah?
grandmaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 15:29   #6

I have made this trip several times in inclement weather. I can be done inside with sufficient crew, and that time of year you should get some sailing in. Any vertical draft issues?
Reach out if you could use a hand rounding up some volunteer crew.
gpridgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:59   #7

@gpridgen: Cool, thanks. Did you do this outside or in (or a combination of both). I've done the inside route before and there are a bunch of tight spots, both bridges and draft wize.

Outside just seems a lot easier, but OTOH, I HAVE to be in Savannah by 5th April or I forfeit a very large amount and scupper my plans for the summer and the weather may not play ball that time of year.

TALISA has been that way before, but it is tight 5ft draft and 63.5ft height.

Thanks for the offer to find crew, I might take you up on that.

Duncan
Old 09-01-2020, 08:19   #8

Boat: Newport 28II, 28'

10-to-15 days should give you plenty of time. I helped a friend take his 38-39’ Island Packet from Chesapeake, VA (Norfolk) to Charleston in 5 days via the Intercoastal to Beaufort and outside from Beaufort to Charleston. Just the two of us, and no time table, but we did it in mid-October.
Over Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 05:54   #9

Boat: B24

Note; just saw that Dismal Swamp Canal on the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway between NC and VA has been shut off to vessel traffic... apparently to reopen after 90-days or so of gate repairs...
Old 16-01-2020, 06:45   #10

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Be careful where the ship unloads. Had a friend that was shipping their boat to Gibraltar as it is tax free, but the ship changed stops and unloaded in France and he got whacked.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2020, 14:46   #11

@DeborahLee - Ouch that must have hurt, through no fault of his own as well.

Thanks for the tip, but actually, after the next two weeks, we won't be European Citizens any more and my expectation is that gotcha simply wouldn't apply to me.

I'm actually looking now at actively getting unloaded in Italy and claiming Temporary Admission for 18 months.

Duncan