Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2014, 10:57   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: New Sea Shepherd vessel and shes a beauty

I have a tree farm, does that count? Thinning the tress as we speak to pay off the boat
Old 31-10-2014, 10:59   #152

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
My personal way of doing the green thing was to buy 168 wooded acres on the Bras d'or Lakes, to keep them from being clear cut, as was the adjacent lot.

I don't like big charities, but still wanted to do my part.
I'm sure the Inuit communities are very grateful for your efforts.
Old 31-10-2014, 11:06   #153

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'm sure the Inuit communities are very grateful for your efforts.
I'm pretty sure there is not an Inuit community inside of 1000 km from there.
Old 31-10-2014, 11:13   #154
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

You must have looked it up. Just 1,000 km!

But it does benefit them and all others, without discrimination.
Old 31-10-2014, 11:25   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I'm pretty sure there is not an Inuit community inside of 1000 km from there.
Exactly your getting it.
Old 31-10-2014, 11:29   #156

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
You must have looked it up. Just 1,000 km!

But it does benefit them and all others, without discrimination.
I'm Canadian and have had interactions with indigenous peoples here.
Old 31-10-2014, 11:34   #157

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Have you a reference to your claim that GP are anti 'any form of radiation including medicine'? I've only ever heard that from the anti radicals, never from GP.
And your illustration about 'rubbish' being left after Earth Day rally is quite silly to me. If you have a large rally for clean up the world day, lots of rubbish would be left that needs cleaning up, that's what happens when you get thousands of people in the one event. It doesn't reflect on the organisation at all.
I'd have to agree about the hot air and also not reflecting on the organization.

I really hadn't been following Green Peace but they seen to have taken less, I'll say aggressive roll, really mean stupid as in Sea Shepherd. Not their intent their actions. You do recall
Green Peace through Watson out?

Maybe Sea Shepherd should use the Bob Barker to try and police that eddy of junk in the South India Ocean. Not knocking what they said the Martin Sheen had been doing but maybe monitoring the radiation in the Japanese Current would be worthwhile. Publishing those result might scare the hell out of everyone. My canned tuna glows. US west coast salmon runs probably do the same. Pressure to get the "international community" to do something about that might be nice. I doubt you will see anyone's government publishing the truth. Not that saving some whales is are not importantbut attacking the iceberg would be better than attacking the tip.

Call me a fool if you like. At my age the concern is not for me.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08   #158
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

It seems Sea Shepard will be needed in the South Atlantic next year

Quote:
Japan has responded to a non-binding International Whaling Commission (IWC) vote to impose strict limits on its ‘scientific whaling’ programme, by announcing that it will proceed with a new round of culls in the Southern Ocean next year regardless.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:06   #159

I know what non-binding means. Does anyone know what these new strict limits are? If they are for 600 whales per season, for example, and the Japanese gov't only culls 599, then they have complied with the vote, even though it is non-binding. Even if they exceed the "limit", they still have not broken any laws or treaties.

Considering the waning demand, increasing stockpiles, the subsidized costs, the logical thing would be for the Japanese gov't to stop whaling. Perhaps they really are doing some scientific research before selling the meat. I can't imagine they actually enjoy playing footsies with Watson and the SSCS.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:09   #160
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I know what non-binding means. Does anyone know what these new strict limits are? If they are for 600 whales per season, for example, and the Japanese gov't only culls 599, then they have complied with the vote, even though it is non-binding. Even if they exceed the "limit", they still have not broken any laws or treaties.

Considering the waning demand, increasing stockpiles, the subsidized costs, the logical thing would be for the Japanese gov't to stop whaling. Perhaps they really are doing some scientific research before selling the meat. I can't imagine they actually enjoy playing footsies with Watson and the SSCS.
One has to almost "admire" the almost bizzre perseverance of the Japanese Government, its virtually getting down to a pissing match rather then anything to do with either research or selling whale meat. Most of the indiginous Japeneese market has disappeared, the " research " is a joke.

surely they have better things to be doing !
Old 05-11-2014, 12:51   #161

For those who doubt or are ignorant about the problems facing the worlds oceans, there is a show on SBS in Australia that every boater should watch.

Whats the Catch | TV | Documentary | SBS

Not sure if you can access it from over seas. Might be able to.
Old 05-11-2014, 13:07   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
One has to almost "admire" the almost bizzre perseverance of the Japanese Government, its virtually getting down to a pissing match rather then anything to do with either research or selling whale meat. Most of the indiginous Japeneese market has disappeared, the " research " is a joke.

surely they have better things to be doing !
I believe it's a mix of bloodymindedness from a government which views whaling (quite incorrectly) as being part of their cultural heritage, and is increasingly and worryingly nationalistic and resentful of any interference of 'foreigners' in their affairs... although in this case 'foreigners' seems to mean 'everyone else'.

I believe they are also keen to prevent any precedent being set for restriction of their other (totally unsustainable) fishing practices. This is a country where fish is a hugely important part of the food supply. Which to my mind makes it all the more strange that they are so opposed to the promotion of sustainable fishing practices, but no government will ever look more than two terms in to the future...

The bottom line is that the annual whale hunt has been totally uneconomic for years, but is continued as a political exercise. If they do indeed go ahead with next years hunt in violation of the ICJ ruling, I can only feel that as this was instigated by nation states (Aus, NZ) rather than stateless activists, things must come to a head and the political pressure will be brought to bear. And the sooner the better... screwing our natural resources for nothing but a political bargaining position is absolutely bloody evil.
Old 05-11-2014, 13:11   #163
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

"resentful of any interference of 'foreigners' in their affairs... although in this case 'foreigners' seems to mean 'everyone else'."

But that is correct surely? Everybody else but a Japanese is a foreigner to them.

Coops.
Old 05-11-2014, 13:21   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
"resentful of any interference of 'foreigners' in their affairs... although in this case 'foreigners' seems to mean 'everyone else'."

But that is correct surely? Everybody else but a Japanese is a foreigner to them.

Coops.
My point was that that rather than being at odds with a select group of people, which could represent a legitimate difference of opinion between different cultures with potential merits on both sides of the argument, they are at odds with pretty much everyone else on the planet, demonstrating the total untenability of their position.

I see in retrospect that I phrased that pretty damn poorly, so thanks for pointing it out!
Old 05-11-2014, 13:35   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
My point was that that rather than being at odds with a select group of people, which could represent a legitimate difference of opinion between different cultures with potential merits on both sides of the argument, they are at odds with pretty much everyone else on the planet, demonstrating the total untenability of their position.

I see in retrospect that I phrased that pretty damn poorly, so thanks for pointing it out!
It made me smile. As do some of the things that I write by mistake sometimes. The one advantage, and possibly the only one, of being a mod is that I can go back and change my cringeworthy posts if I see them before somebody quotes them. After they are quoted I have to leave it.

Coops.