Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2014, 15:56   #1

Boat: JPK 39FC
My "How To" Guide for an Asymmetrical Chute on a Cruising Cat

Hope this helps. Love comments or other ideas.

https://vimeo.com/103718053

jason
s/v two fish
Jaymannyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 18:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: My how to guide for a asym chute on a cruising cat

Very nice video. I have not used a sock but am considering getting one.

On the ATN site they talk about a "guide" strip - a colored strip on the sock to determine if it has any twist, which I presume is bad. I see you don't need that.

I also noticed on the drop you carefully controlled both the hoist and drop lines for the sock - That seems like something that should be mentioned.

Also I have seen two different socks used here and both skippers hate them. I noted however your sock is much looser than theirs. I am thinking they have poorly fitted (tight) socks.

Also, I see you have a fairly large boat and you drop to gybe. Why haven't your considered buying another sheet and gybing outside?

I guess my thought is that with only 2 aboard one person is helming and that might be a big sail to sheet in for one person. Certainly dropping and gybing is probably less drama.

Would also be nice to know some of the "problems" that can be encountered and how to mitigate them.

<edit> i.e. have you ever had "twisting" or had the sail hoist inside out? We saw one boat hoist their spinnaker sideways here. Don't know how they did that - LOL...

All that said very nice practical video. Well done!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 19:39   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

It's a really well done video. Thanks for sharing it.

Some differences that we do with our NS A4, which may not be right, are:
I just blow the sheet when pulling down the sock instead of the tack. My sheet lines are short so there is no chance of them getting tangled in the prop.

We almost never would have a full main up and prefer to have at least two reefs in the main. It is not uncommon for us to fly just the spinnaker, especially when going near dead down wind.

We use a block to control the dousing line but pull down instead of up on it when raising the sock.

The snap shackle you use for the tack is a good idea and I'll probably get one.

Also, after watching the North Sails video, we stuff the sock in the bag and tie the lines to the bag as they show. So we raise the sock straight out of the bag with all the lines already tied on. Probably you do that also but maybe just pulled it out for the video?
Old 20-08-2014, 04:39   #4

Thanks for sharing your excellent video.

Just a few comments:
1. Releasing the tack or the sheet - if the wind is light, either will work and you will get the sail in the sock with little effort regardless. If the wind is up, lets say 20-30kts, then its another ball game and it becomes critical that you control the sheet and you dump the tack. This keeps the flailing luff down wind (forward), reducing the chance that the sail will partially fill making snuffing difficult. It also ensures that you are pulling the sock down from a position just forward of the mast where the blanketed but still teathered clue will sit. Here the sock snuffing lines will run parallel to the leach. If the sheet is dumped, the sock must be drawn down forward near the seagull striker, the flailing sail/leach will be well forward of the boat and the luff and your snuffing lines will be at an acute angle to the desired direction for snuffing and the work involved in getting the sock down can be very difficult and on occasion impossible risking a flogged and a damaged sail.

2. Outside Gybing - with a little practice, it is not difficult, but it is one more thing that can go wrong, especially if short handed. Timing the helm and the sheet release is everything. If you are racing with experienced crew - OK. If you are cruising in light air - OK. If you are short handed in heavy air, douse before gybe. The outside gybe needs sheets that are perhaps 35m in length and unless one is always extremely careful, the lazy sheet can and does fall in, and I can tell you with experience that it's not the prop you worry about. It's the rudder which can become fouled. Then you round up, then the prop gets tangled, all in a blink, usually when the conditions are bad which is why you were distracted in the first place!

3. Main or no main. On a cat, in the absence of backstays, the main, and sheet are often integral in mast structural support, especially when down wind in heavy air. In light conditions it is probably of no great importance due to over engineering. Certainly in heavy air, I think you should always have the main up, reefed of not determined by TWS, to not only suppost the rig, but also to provide blanketing when the nerve is lost and its time to get the big ASi down. If you are running without the main, make sure you set yourself very strict wind limits that trigger the decision to reduce sail and get the ASI down. Getting it down in 25-30kts without the main to blanket can be challenging. Wear gloves!

I destoyed my first ASI in circumstances alluded to above, hence my conservative views.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 05:03   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Thanks Jason & Co.

Good video, even for us doing this on older, narrow foredeck monos.
Old 20-08-2014, 05:33   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
............. On the ATN site they talk about a "guide" strip - a colored strip on the sock to determine if it has any twist, which I presume is bad. I see you don't need that. .........
I noticed the lack of the guide stripe too. I depend on the stripe to avoid deploying what otherwise would look like a clown's twist balloon trick. I would think that you would need some disiplined care in bagging and storing to manage without the stripe. So, how do you manage the clean deploy and fill without the stripe? .....I'm eager to learn!
Old 20-08-2014, 06:01   #7

Re: My "How To" Guide for an Asymmetrical Chute on a Cruising Cat

The "stripe" makes it a bit easier to see that the sock is not twisted, however, it is pretty easy to visually track the seams and in particular, the internal run of the hoist douse lines, which are themselves visible within the sock as is their "conduit".
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 07:51   #8

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Am I the only one that sees a little girl speaking a foreign language?

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 08:36   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Am I the only one that sees a little girl speaking a foreign language?

SC
I hope so! Is this an on screen apparition or floating in your main salon?
Old 20-08-2014, 09:33   #10

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I hope so! Is this an on screen apparition or floating in your main salon?

LOL HF. It's actually on screen and I have captured it! Eek! If I look at this through the app I see the below screen caps but if I look at web view it's correct. Hmmm.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1408552358.963136.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	86857Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1408552374.253493.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	86858

SC

ETA: I checked my tablet with the same results. Weird.
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 09:39   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

2Wind,
I'll have to try popping the tack next year. I haven't had a problem with the sail refilling after dumping the sheet and can't see how that would happen but maybe the other way will be easier.

I'm amazed you sail with a Asymmetrical spinnaker in winds up to 30 knots. We douse ours when the apparent wind is 16 knots and the true would be about 22-24. Loosing my rig with spinnaker alone though hasn't been much of a concern for me as I'm sure something else will blow out before a shroud. We do keep the boom centered and the topping lift quite tensioned. What would concern me though is burying my bows.
Old 20-08-2014, 13:02   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

Jason, I just want to chime in and say thanks for continuing to make videos like these. My wife and I have been following your journey since you left Argentina and even watched all of your MYC talks! Looks like you guys have been having a great time and we hope to meet you out on the water some day.

David
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 05:02   #13

Answers to some questions:

We will buy a pair of long sheets for jibing outside.
I have never seen "guide" stripes.
Old 31-08-2014, 05:02   #14

letting lose the tack is key when the wind starts to blow
Old 31-08-2014, 05:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
The "stripe" makes it a bit easier to see that the sock is not twisted, however, it is pretty easy to visually track the seams and in particular, the internal run of the hoist douse lines, which are themselves visible within the sock as is their "conduit".
i have not had an issue with twist in the sock. dumb luck, because i hold it when the halyard is raised. not sure.

Tags
cruising