Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2015, 08:04   #1

Boat: Douglas 32
Motoring at 148 mph through fog?

I'm glad I wasn't here. What if he hit another boat instead of this nav buoy?

Link: SPEEDBOAT MADNESS: Powerboat World Champion Stuart Hayim Hits Nav Buoy at 148 MPH
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 09:38   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Motoring at 148 mph through fog?

I watched the video yesterday. These guys almost won the Darwin award. I suspect they might in the future making decisions like that. They were very, very, very lucky.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 09:44   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

yep-Darwin award candidate

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 09:15   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Apparently the CG did the right thing and threw the book at him. Hopefully the word will get out that this guy is no role model. Coast guard issues hayim a civil penalty and other boarding violations

Quoted from the linked article: "Shortly after the allision safety boats including the U S Coast Guard 47 foot Motor Lifeboat from Coast Guard Station Montauk arrived while the crew made way under their own power to the nearest port for haul out. U S Coast Guard Lieutenant Martin Dixon reported Coast Guard Station Montauk Officers did conduct a boarding of the Stuarts boat and issued a CG4100 Boarding report along with a civil penalty for six violations, including no throwable Type IV Personal flotation device, no sound producing device, no flares or visual distress signals, no pollution placard, no garbage placards, and Negligent Operations under 46 USC 2302. Martin said “The negligent operations citation was a result of not only operating at excessive speed in reduced visibility but also for the accumulation of violations as the negligent operations violation has to be articulated and the context of the circumstances surrounding the incident and evaluated as a whole of the circumstance.” Lieutenant Dixon did confirm a Coast Guard permit for the run had been issued but the particulars of the permit were not readily known. He went on to say the efforts of Team Recovery, Stuart Hayim and Joey Imprescia to raise money and awareness for cancer research are to be commended but the decision to maintain speed within an area of restricted visibility was not at all prudent."
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fog, motor