Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 10:08   #16

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Morehead City NC to Charleston SC and Florida Coastal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBullDog View Post
I really recommend the safer inside route using Bogue Sound ICW stopping at Swansboro then on to Onslow thence Wrightsville Beach and all the way to Georgetown before heading out. The ICW from Georgetown to Charleston is impassable.
Get the lastest hazards on Active Captain. Captain BullDog
==========================================
yes,another member who lives here in NC posted his experience with shorter stretches in and out ,that seems a safer way,the only draw back I saw was the time spent negotiating all these inlets in and out,but might be worth it to pay that price for safety.
I have his route and seems a nicer way to brake the routine of "driving"
thank you all
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:22   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

I generally follow the 10-11 fathom line when sailing down the coast. You stay in the coastal forecast area and it is reliably smoother sailing. Also if you’re lucky enough to get westerlies it will be largely flat water.

That said, you do need to pay attention to the chart. South of Charleston there’s a restricted area which I assume is a bombing range, and there are weather buoys and private buoys (still large) for fish havens.

I would not go down the ditch. It takes forever, you burn masses of fuel, and it’s generally way more tiring and boring than going off the coast. It’s actually all open right now although if you draw 6’ or more you’ll need help from the tide to get through, particularly the stretch between Southport and Charleston.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:52   #18

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I generally follow the 10-11 fathom line when sailing down the coast. You stay in the coastal forecast area and it is reliably smoother sailing. Also if you’re lucky enough to get westerlies it will be largely flat water.

That said, you do need to pay attention to the chart. South of Charleston there’s a restricted area which I assume is a bombing range, and there are weather buoys and private buoys (still large) for fish havens.

I would not go down the ditch. It takes forever, you burn masses of fuel, and it’s generally way more tiring and boring than going off the coast. It’s actually all open right now although if you draw 6’ or more you’ll need help from the tide to get through, particularly the stretch between Southport and Charleston.
Have done this route both ways many times, a few times singlehanded, and I agree with your route.
I would stay on the outside all the way and stay out of the ICW unless you get chased in by bad weather. I draw 6' and avoid the ditch like the plague!
The stretch between Beaufort, NC and the Cape Fear River is especially painful with skinny water past each inlet and all of the bridges and the route from Charleston, SC is also shallow and so twisty that you have to do five miles at times to make one mile south.
Going on the outside there are lots of inlets to duck into if you encounter weather - Cape Fear River, Little River, Winyah Bay, Charleston, Port Royal, Saint Catherines, Saint Marys, Saint Johns, Saint Augustine, Ponce Inlet, Cape Canaveral and Fort Pierce are all doable inlets. I have used all of them with no trouble at one time or another.
Pick your weather window and with a bit of luck you can do the whole trip non-stop.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 09-02-2019, 11:10   #19

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

If you're going to go inside, ICW Beaufort South, be aware that you cannot count on the bridge clearances to be a minimum of 65'. Believe it or not but most of the ICW in N & S Carolina are still at flood stages as a result of Hurricane Florence. The land is so saturated that ANY rainfall inland results in high water on the ICW. Unfortunately the NOAA reports are all stated at Flood Stage levels with no correlation to MHW. You can't count on getting below N. Myrtle Beach if you need more than 59' clearance. Also there are several bridges in the Carolinas that were built at 64' MHW clearance. The problem is further compounded by the fact that the air draft boards are missing for many of the bridges. The CG is NOT issuing any Notice to Mariner reports about these conditions. We just came thru the area within the past 3 weeks.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 17:16   #20

Boat: Tartan30

ALL the responses are true to some extent. You might want to download an app our phone that shows what all the Nav Lights and Shapes are. This can help to avoid fishing boats with long nets out, and barges with long tow cables.
Also when you get down around St. Marys Inlet you can be entertained by an occasional Submarine coming or going from the Sub Base down there. You should know the lights they show and understand they move quickly.
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:31   #21

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
If you're going to go inside, ICW Beaufort South, be aware that you cannot count on the bridge clearances to be a minimum of 65'. Believe it or not but most of the ICW in N & S Carolina are still at flood stages as a result of Hurricane Florence. The land is so saturated that ANY rainfall inland results in high water on the ICW. Unfortunately the NOAA reports are all stated at Flood Stage levels with no correlation to MHW. You can't count on getting below N. Myrtle Beach if you need more than 59' clearance. Also there are several bridges in the Carolinas that were built at 64' MHW clearance. The problem is further compounded by the fact that the air draft boards are missing for many of the bridges. The CG is NOT issuing any Notice to Mariner reports about these conditions. We just came thru the area within the past 3 weeks.
Which bridge is 59’??
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:25   #22

Boat: Newport 28II, 28'

I’ve crewed going both ways off shore, Charleston-Beaufort and Beaufort-Charleston. The Beaufort-Charleston trip was pretty uneventful with very few if any boats or ships. The we had to keep a careful watch on the Charleston-Beaufort trip dodging fishing boats. They were well lit, but their seemingly erratic movements kept us on our toes.
Over Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 11:10   #23
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Prevailing winds, Charleston to Jupiter inlet coastal-inshore, i.e. 3 to 5 miles off
Staying far enough in to avoid the Gulf Steam, hope for some sailing winds, and expereience what the winds are likely to be this time of year, Feb - early March?
any counter currents (southerly) known?
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 17:19   #24
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

repost to correct:
Prevailing winds, Charleston to Jupiter Inlet (Ft. Pierce, Stuart area) coastal-inshore, i.e. 3 to 5 miles off.

Staying far enough in to avoid the Gulf Steam, hoping for some sailing winds, any experience what the winds are likely to be this time of year, Feb - early March?
any counter currents (southerly) known?
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 13:23   #25

Boat: Valiant 40

Mostly out of the south but changing. I did Charleston to St. Augustine about a month ago. Had NW wind 10-20 the whole way with a lull here and there but is was cold. It’s a short trip, Windy should give you good enough info.

You don’t need to worry about the current until you get past Cape Canaveral than stay within a few miles of shore.

Depending on where you are headed you might want to continue down outside. South of Jupiter is where the low bridges get crazy in the ICW. For example between Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale, maybe 45 miles, there are 19 opening bridges that mostly open on a schedule and not on request.

Tags
florida, head, Morehead City