Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2022, 09:23   #166

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: More Anchoring Etiquette: should I move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hi Ann.

One of the few advantages to advancing age is that one is more inclined to placate than confront.

Years ago I was boarded by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority whilst underway. I made a snap decision to be humble and placate rather than utilize the "b*lls**t, bluff, and bluster" techniques of younger days.

I was all reason and entertained the interviewing official with oilfield stories interspersed into into his interview in a very friendly manner and as a result only received a warning rather than being prosecuted (The penalty for the accidental transgression was $600 and a criminal record)

Pondering on it later I was gladdened that this was by far the best outcome I could hope for and my only regret is that I hadn't thought to inquire "How do you take your tea mate." as I went below to put the kettle on for him.

I totally agree about being reasonable and contrite if possible. Off the subject, what exactly was the terrible transgression you were guilty of that only resulted in a warning. . . ?
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 15:08   #167

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
I totally agree about being reasonable and contrite if possible. Off the subject, what exactly was the terrible transgression you were guilty of that only resulted in a warning. . . ?
I put my trolling line in the water too soon.

At the time I was sailing south and, having passed through an island group though I was clear of one of the green zones where fishing is forbidden. Believing I had passed through the zone from observation of my position relative to the islands I deployed a trolling line. Unfortunately I was still on the boundary.

The problem is that the boundaries of the zones don't always run N/S or E/W. and, unfortunately when the zones were mapped the authorities did not use either marine charts or the lat/long graticuler system instead employing the UTM system of northing and easting used on land in Australia then converting the coordinate boundary limits to latitudes and longitudes.

The result of these actions was to produce coordinates to four decimal places of a minute and the charts were then printed to a different scale than the marine charts making it difficult to define and transfer positions.

Then, to compound the issues they made transgressions a criminal offence which means that international travel then becomes a problem since may countries will not issue visas to persons with a criminal record.
Old 14-08-2022, 06:58   #168

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

That's a little murky, especially if the boundary is that difficult to ascertain beyond a shadow of a doubt. Thanks for the explanation!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 00:01   #169

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I put my trolling line in the water too soon.

At the time I was sailing south and, having passed through an island group though I was clear of one of the green zones where fishing is forbidden. Believing I had passed through the zone from observation of my position relative to the islands I deployed a trolling line. Unfortunately I was still on the boundary.

The problem is that the boundaries of the zones don't always run N/S or E/W. and, unfortunately when the zones were mapped the authorities did not use either marine charts or the lat/long graticuler system instead employing the UTM system of northing and easting used on land in Australia then converting the coordinate boundary limits to latitudes and longitudes.

The result of these actions was to produce coordinates to four decimal places of a minute and the charts were then printed to a different scale than the marine charts making it difficult to define and transfer positions.

Then, to compound the issues they made transgressions a criminal offence which means that international travel then becomes a problem since may countries will not issue visas to persons with a criminal record.
Wait a minute, you were actually guilty, and you still even considered an approach other than contrition and humility? :

I find that the hard cases are the ones when you are innocent. Contrition and humility are usually best there too, however hard that is to swallow.

Guys with guns and badges usually take it very, very badly when civilians don't defer to them. They love nothing better than putting a civilian with attitude in his place, and they know how to do it -- they are professionals. It can be galling, but I find it's better just to give them what they want at the very beginning. It normally saves a lot of grief. Even when you're being falsely accused.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 00:17   #170
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Wait a minute, you were actually guilty, and you still even considered an approach other than contrition and humility? :

I find that the hard cases are the ones when you are innocent. Contrition and humility are usually best there too, however hard that is to swallow.

Guys with guns and badges usually take it very, very badly when civilians don't defer to them. They love nothing better than putting a civilian with attitude in his place, and they know how to do it -- they are professionals. It can be galling, but I find it's better just to give them what they want at the very beginning. It normally saves a lot of grief. Even when you're being falsely accused.

I agree , in dealing with LEOs especially where I may have transgressed , I always find being polite , humble and addressing them as “ officer “ to be the best approach. On many occasions I was left go with a warning rather then a legitimate ticket.

Aggression rarely works.
Old 25-08-2022, 02:50   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

You'd be amazed at the number of people that try the B,B and B technique even when caught with the dead body at their feet, a smoking gin in their hand and a blood dripping knife with their finger prints on it in their belt.

It wasn't contrition and humility, I was trying to game the system like the good looking blonde in the sports car in the movies who turns on the charm and hitches the skirt hem a little higher.

I'ts only ever the police who carry guns here in Australia, even the military are seldom seen with guns on the streets unless they are on an exercise. However there are a hoard of other nuisances "revenuers" wandering about out there making life mizerable for the poor old wandering yachty.
Old 25-08-2022, 09:42   #172
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I'ts only ever the police who carry guns here in Australia, even the military are seldom seen with guns on the streets unless they are on an exercise. However there are a hoard of other nuisances "revenuers" wandering about out there making life mizerable for the poor old wandering yachty.
What’s a “ revenurers “
Old 25-08-2022, 17:16   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What’s a “ revenurers “
That's what the bootleggers down in Tennessee called the authorities who pursued them because they were not paying excise on the alcohol they produced and sold. There were a couple of black and white movies featuring them.
Old 25-08-2022, 18:02   #174

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What’s a “ revenurers “
I take it to be a plural of a misspelled version of 'revenuer'.

revenuer U.S. English

[f. revenue + -er]

A revenue agent.

Usage examples:-

1880 Daily Inter-Ocean (Chicago) 1 June 12/1 His wife and daughter discharged their conjugal and filial duty by‥watching from their home for the approach of the ‘Revenyors’.
1895 ‘C. E. Craddock’ Mystery of Witch-Face Mountain 15 The ‘revenuers’‥never rode alone. ***
1941 Charlottesville (Va.) Daily Progress 16 Aug. 1/5 The sharp rise in sugar and grain prices, coupled with the increased efforts of the ‘revenooers’ to ferret out the distilling outfits in the mountains have made it too perilous for most of the old-timers. ***
1949 Américas Aug. 10/1 The ‘revenoo-ers’ slowed the production of illegal whiskey. ***
1955 W. Faulkner Fable 173 The sheriff‥and the city strangers in their city hats and neckties and shoes, smelling, stinking of excise officers, revenuers.
1963 Times 19 Mar. 10/7 The ‘revenuer’ keeps track of large sales of sugar. ***
1974 W. Garner Big enough Wreath x. 131 Moonshiner, made his own likker‥scared stiff of being caught by the revenuers. ***
1974 New Yorker 3 June 43/2 Jon tried to persuade Anne and Ruth to take their bathing suits off.‥ ‘Listen, as long as we're back up here where the revenooers can't get at us, we might as well have a good time.’
Old 26-08-2022, 00:59   #175

I vaguely recall the TV series Dukes of Hazard where Granpa was the bootleger, the boys were the runners and their souped up delivery vehicle was the General Grant.
Old 26-08-2022, 03:53   #176

General Grant?

Boy, don’t EVER go to The Deep Dirty South and say that.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 06:37   #177

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
General Grant?

Boy, don’t EVER go to The Deep Dirty South and say that.

Well, it might now actually be called the General Grant.

Didn't you hear that R***** E* L** has been cancelled? He doesn't exist.

Do try to keep up
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring