Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2013, 08:04   #1

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Mooring single-handed?

How does one go about picking up and securing a float and wand mooring single-handed? More specifically the ones located at Avalon on Catalina Island, which is pretty crowded during the summer months.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 08:39   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Mooring single-handed?

I can't count the number of times I've done this, so I'll try to offer what I can, but the short answer is that it really comes down to knowing how your boat behaves/reacts.

Both the inner harbor at Avalon and Emerald Bay have some commonalities: Wand moorings with sand lines, strong currents that vary with location and time, and gusty winds.

I try to observe all of these conditions while in the fairway and evaluate how my boat will respond. Then I pull into the mooring slot with the bow up (wind/current or both) of the mooring flag and come to a stop with the bow opposite the pin and the stern as far up (wind/current) as possible (thus giving you the most room to drift down - sometimes looks like a very odd angle pulling into the mooring slot). I try to judge this so that in the time it takes for me to get from the helm to the bow the bow will have drifted to the pin.

Then pick up the pin and make fast the bow using the sand line right at the pin.

Walk the sand line back to the stern on the down (current/wind) side of the boat (this allows you to be ready to fend off, and also allows you to use the sand line in your hand to keep from drifting too far down) and make that loosely fast.

Then back up to the bow to pull up the main bow hawser (which is about 10' below the pin when you pick it up).

Then back to the stern to make final adjustments to the stern line. Don't get it too tight the first time or you won't be able to get the bow line up.

In nice calm conditions you can do this in a leisurely fashion, even getting the bow line fixed before working aft, in less ideal conditions it takes some quick footwork. Also not a bad idea in the less ideal times to hang some fenders on the down (wind/current) side so that if you do drift into your neighbor it is gentle (that happens all the time, it's to be expected, and I usually leave fenders out on both sides after I'm moored for when the new neighbors move in).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 08:44   #3

Wink Re: Mooring single-handed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I can't count the number of times I've done this, so I'll try to offer what I can, but the short answer is that it really comes down to knowing how your boat behaves/reacts.

Both the inner harbor at Avalon and Emerald Bay have some commonalities: Wand moorings with sand lines, strong currents that vary with location and time, and gusty winds.

I try to observe all of these conditions while in the fairway and evaluate how my boat will respond. Then I pull into the mooring slot with the bow up (wind/current or both) of the mooring flag and come to a stop with the bow opposite the pin and the stern as far up (wind/current) as possible (thus giving you the most room to drift down - sometimes looks like a very odd angle pulling into the mooring slot). I try to judge this so that in the time it takes for me to get from the helm to the bow the bow will have drifted to the pin.

Then pick up the pin and make fast the bow using the sand line right at the pin.

Walk the sand line back to the stern on the down (current/wind) side of the boat (this allows you to be ready to fend off, and also allows you to use the sand line in your hand to keep from drifting too far down) and make that loosely fast.

Then back up to the bow to pull up the main bow hawser (which is about 10' below the pin when you pick it up).

Then back to the stern to make final adjustments to the stern line. Don't get it too tight the first time or you won't be able to get the bow line up.

In nice calm conditions you can do this in a leisurely fashion, even getting the bow line fixed before working aft, in less ideal conditions it takes some quick footwork. Also not a bad idea in the less ideal times to hang some fenders on the down (wind/current) side so that if you do drift into your neighbor it is gentle (that happens all the time, it's to be expected, and I usually leave fenders out on both sides after I'm moored for when the new neighbors move in).
Thanks, D. Just what I was looking for. How about under sail? (Just kidding)
Old 26-06-2013, 08:56   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

lol this is how i decided sperry topsliders dont work--muddy stuff is slick as hell--be careful.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 09:03   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Call the harbor patrol. They are very happy to help.

We have moored in Catalina dozens of times and a few times it was impossible to pull up the tie line to get to the aft mooring pennant. The patrol boat came out and pushed us crosswise to the wind so we could pull it in.

I have picked up moorings single handed in the east coast many times. Approach upwind or upcurrent whichever is greater and come to a complete stop before going forward to pick up the mooring pennant with a boathook. Often I had to cleat the pennant on a side cleat until the wind/current pushed me back far enough to get it on the bow. Once at least I had to tie on a temporary line with a rolling hitch and then move it forward as the wind was blowing too hard to let it loose.

And sometimes it takes several tries.
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 12:38   #6

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Get one of the biggest size carabiner. Put it on the end of a dockline which is cleated. It helps to have the first attachment made easily on a line with plenty of slack - It isnt permanent but once you have SOMETHING attached it is WAY easier to get it the way you want it.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 10:39   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Not familiar with that area, and lots depends on your boat...

But FWIW we usually pick up moorings from the cockpit, and then walk the line to the bow.

-Chris
Old 27-06-2013, 11:54   #8

Boat: PT-11

What most won't know is that Catalina uses a system of for and aft moorings, with a carrier line connecting the two pennants. Typically, you grab the pickup stick, attach the forward mooring line and walk the connecting line down your hull until the aft mooring line comes up. Then attach that one.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 15:13   #9
DWJ

Boat: 2007 Hunter 49
I have a large carabiner attached to a line that is twice the length of th boat. I run the line through the center of one of the bow cleats an run the carabiner side of the line on the outside of the lifelines. Now I have both ends in the cockpit. I pull up to the mooring ball so that it is parallel to the cockpit, reach over and attach the carabiner to the mooring pennant.. Boats in neutral and as I falloff the ball I bring in the carabiner line until the mooring pennant is near the bow. I cleat it off then and walk to the bow and make everything nice. Two things though, engine must be in neutral and maintain minimal slack in the Line once your hooked up. I'm considering adding a float to the line fixed near the carabiner. It really sucks if you drop the carabiner.
DWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 16:36   #10

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJ View Post
I have a large carabiner attached to a line that is twice the length of th boat. I run the line through the center of one of the bow cleats an run the carabiner side of the line on the outside of the lifelines. Now I have both ends in the cockpit. I pull up to the mooring ball so that it is parallel to the cockpit, reach over and attach the carabiner to the mooring pennant.. Boats in neutral and as I falloff the ball I bring in the carabiner line until the mooring pennant is near the bow. I cleat it off then and walk to the bow and make everything nice. Two things though, engine must be in neutral and maintain minimal slack in the Line once your hooked up. I'm considering adding a float to the line fixed near the carabiner. It really sucks if you drop the carabiner.
That's what I do. I have a detachable snatch block at the bow rather than running the line through the cleats. I use the same setup as a preventer when needed, running the free end to a secondary winch.

Yes, you should be in neutral and pull in like hell after you attach the carabiner to the mooring pennant. Otherwise, the line could wrap around the prop.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 11:48   #11

Boat: Beneteau 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That's what I do. I have a detachable snatch block at the bow rather than running the line through the cleats. I use the same setup as a preventer when needed, running the free end to a secondary winch.

Yes, you should be in neutral and pull in like hell after you attach the carabiner to the mooring pennant. Otherwise, the line could wrap around the prop.
Would floating line be better to use? I know we use floting line from our MOB horseshoe float to it's attached strobe, for that reason.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 12:30   #12

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Yes, but polypropylene is such a pita.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 13:28   #13

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Other option is to go to Two Harbors, enjoy more tranquility and space and can take van service across island if want to be in Avalon for day. Just a thought.
Old 28-06-2013, 14:40   #14

Boat: PT-11
Yea, but still have same fore and aft moorings.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 07:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
Other option is to go to Two Harbors, enjoy more tranquility and space and can take van service across island if want to be in Avalon for day. Just a thought.
Agreed but I think the van service is about $80 RT per person.

Tags
mooring