Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2011, 12:29   #1

Mooring Buoy Aid

I boat in 1000 Islands area of New York/Ontario, North America. Mostly we anchor out but we often pick up a mooring can. My last boat, a 30 foot express cruiser, allowed us to do this easily by passing a long line aft to the swim platform where the buoy could be easily reached and the line threaded through. There is no pennant to make the job easy. There is a ring on top of the float which sits about a foot off the water. A walk back to the bow and the boat was secured.

My current boat is an aft cabin where it is not easy to pass a line aft to the swim platform and then return it to the bow. There are a number of devices to permit the threading of the line through the buoy ring. This site shows some of them:

Our competitors - Yachtage Industries

None of these are perfect but a couple will work for me. The one I like best so far is this:

http://sites.google.com/site/yachtin...uct---threader

I want a device to help pass my mooring line through the ring when all is done. Having been caught in a micro-burst at anchor (my Bruce held!) there will be no half measures. If I can't find anything here I will order overseas.

Does anyone know where such devices can be found here in North America, or do you have a better mouse-trap to solve this issue? My search has been fruitless so far.

Keith
ktcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 23:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Mooring Buoy Aid

From what I've seen around that Threader dodacky looks probably the best option.

Otherwise you could put some heatshrink over the last 2ft of rope making it stiffer, push it thru the mooring ring and pick it up from the other side with a std boat hook maybe.

All depends on how often you want to do it I suppose. If a lot then spend the coin, if not maybe try the less flash way.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 02:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Although not cheap.... Wichard has the answer

Old 30-03-2011, 04:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Although not cheap.... Wichard has the answer

I saw this one but couldn't figure out out how to remotely detach it.
ktcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring