Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How often do you practice MOB procedures?
Every time we get underway 2 1.74%
On a set schedule, ie Monthly/Weekly/Annualy 8 6.96%
At the start of each passage 7 6.09%
Any time a new crewmember is aboard 9 7.83%
Not as often as we should 62 53.91%
Never 27 23.48%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 21:40   #16
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Having witnessed Scott's (Kai Nui) induction into the mud duck club ... aka MOB (does from a dock count?), I can tell you all about chinese fire drills that pass for recovery. But that isn't what this post is about.

On my leg down from Moss Landing to Morro Bay, Scott and I took my boat along the Sur Coast. We had, about half way there, about 15 foot seas and 25 knot winds (from the stern). The following seas were occasionally breaking, but with my CC set up and high freeboard, this wasn't a problem for us. We were sailing with just the main and jib (130%) up.

What was a problem, was that I was towing my dinghy. It was/is(?) a beautiful 1970's Boston Whaler sailing dinghy. This is one of those that will float even if cut into three pieces (BW's advertisement). One of the following waves broke on my dinghy and the cleat that my tow line was secured to, came out of the dinghy. Why I noticed this I have no idea, but maybe it was the funny motion of the boat that caused me to look back.

Scott and I treated this as a MOB and attempted to recover the dinghy. If the dinghy had been a person, we would have had a death. I pulled up the trailing line while Scott turned the boat .

I just now followed his link and find he told the story already. (and well I might add). But, I have a few additions to add to his excellent observations.

Had I had the dinghy close to, I would probably not have lost it. I have since found an another simillar dinghy (may whoever found that dinghy - in Mexico? enjoy it) and have found a way to get it on deck (it weighs about 140 pounds ... dry) and to secure it forward of the mast.

What most concerned me, other than having lost the 'patient' was: if it had been a person, how would I have brought that person aboard - and a more poignant situation, if I were to go over (I use jacklines and harness with shock lanyards as I sail most often single handed), how the heck would I get back up on deck?

The MOB situation was solved fairly easily - my mizzen boom extends over the transom and I just attached a large block and have a line handy to run through and attach to my primary winch. This would work in conjunction with my MOB system that is permenently mounted on my stern rail.

In the case of my going over (presumably still attached to the harness, lanyard and jackline), I have put a short six foot loop of line off each mid-ship cleat - this would allow me to 'claw' my way back aboard and use the loop as a foot boost.

Is this perfect? Hell no ... but all things are compromises and this is what I came up with. Ideas?

Thomas
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 23:13   #17
Kai Nui

I like the loop idea. Somewhere on here, I posed the question about how to capture the oscar if he is unconsious, or otherwise unable to assist in his rescue. I posted this with the freeboard of your boat in mind. Have you considered this problem? With the freeboard on your boat, even reaching a MOB with a boathook attached to a sling is going to be difficult.
Old 05-04-2006, 21:55   #18
Senior Cruiser

Agreed - with my freeboard, recovery is a major problem if the oscar isn't awake and willing. If I am short handed and need to assist the oscar, there is a major problem. The only way to handle that is to secure a line to yourself and go OVER and help. Obviously NOT an ideal situation and probably best done by not thinking about it very much.
Old 05-04-2006, 23:05   #19
Kai Nui

I think I mentioned earlier about the idea of one of the mooring hooks that attach to a boat hook. Of course, this will not help if there is nothing to hook onto, but what do you think?
Old 07-04-2006, 13:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Scott - I've thought about your post. Here is what comes to my mind (such as it is).

Unless you have something to "hook" the line onto, I don't see how this would be helpful.

If they are conscious and wearing a lifejacket (otherwise by the time you get turned around to get them, they would be sunk), then a line tossed (or float with line) would be the best bet.

If they are not conscious and wearing a lifejacket, then just hooking them by the lifevest with a boat hook would be adequate to pull them and keep them close while you figured out how to hoist him/her. I do not think that a life vest (as commonly worn) would allow you to use it as a hoisting harness.

I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't want to use one of their limbs as an attachment point.

It seems that the use of the mooring hook vs. standard boat hook is more complex than necessary.

:::watching one of my THREE CENTS worth roll off the table:::

Thomas
Old 07-04-2006, 17:56   #21
Kai Nui

Interesting point. Many of the cheaper boat hooks would not support the weight of someone my size (or yours for that matter). It would seem that a good quality boat hook shoud be considered a major piece of safety gear. A lanyard on the boat hook should also be considered. For the brief seconds that I almost had ahold of the dinghy, I was wondering if I would be able to hold the boat hook. THe waves were pushing the boat and the dinghy away from each other to such an extent, I was picturing a sudden surge tearing the boat hook out of my hands. Due to the fact I was not harnessed in, that would have been the better option, but everything needs to be tied together to be effective.
Old 07-04-2006, 18:10   #22

Get a damn dinghy davit!!!

That would've solved your problem in the first place!!

I plan on installing one on my boat. I don't plan on falling into a episode like what you two guys just mentioned. NO WAY!!!

Oh gee. We're talking about MOB? Oh gee!!!

Just have one of those devices hmmmmm a harness. With a rope attached. Then if ya fall over. You could be pulled back towards the boat, by someone onboard. Or you could pull yourself back onboard.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 18:34   #23
Kai Nui

Or maybe right under the hull Actually K, I believe a harness and jackline has been mentioned here. If not, it should. Staying on the boat is at least as important as getting back board.
Old 07-04-2006, 21:33   #24

How.....very true, Kai. How true!!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-04-2006, 21:44   #25
Senior Cruiser

Ayup... that were mentioned ... gosh .. I believe that I mentioned it.

Thomas
Old 07-04-2006, 21:46   #26
Senior Cruiser

Also .. Kai? You get what you pay for ... re: quality of boat hook ... I actually took the one I bought from West Marine BACK... and told them what I thought of it ..then went elsewhere and bought a good one.

Thomas
Old 07-04-2006, 21:50   #27
Kai Nui

Are you saying that cheap safety equipment is not a good investment?
Old 07-04-2006, 22:01   #28

Hey Scott & Thomas.

Does West Marine sell good prdoucts. Or just plain crappy products? And if "you" were to go by any boat hooks, or life sling harness's. Would you both recommend West Marine. Or another store/chandelry?

Old 07-04-2006, 22:09   #29
Senior Cruiser

First: Scott - Yes, crappy safety equipment is not only a BAD investment, but a very dangerous one. Do YOU want to have your life (or someone you care for) depend on junk/crap? Not me .. I'll spend the extra bucks to get something that is good and reliable. .... of course I'll ALWAYS look to get a good deal or a discount - but if I have to have it, and it is critical, then it IS going to be the good stuff .. not crap.

C K - West Marine does like many conglomerate stores do, they do not make their own and they attempt to buy the least expensive so they can increase their profit margin. With ANY critical piece of safety equipment, you MUST test it out in the conditions that are the most critical.

ONE very good thing about West Marine is: if the equipment does NOTmeet your requirements or is crap, they will take it back and give you a refund. It is up to the USER to decide what is crap, and what will save your rear in the crunch.

Thomas
Old 07-04-2006, 22:13   #30

I see. Hmmmmm?

Well than you Thomas for your wonderful insite into West Marine for me!!

Tags
mob