Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2019, 01:35   #196
cruiser

Re: MOB for Couples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, I had a dinghy like that, and took it across the North Sea in davits something like 6 times.

I got rid of it.

For coastal cruising in the Med, carrying such a dinghy in davits is no problem, and it's a wonderful luxury to have a large, powerful wheel-steered dinghy. I still miss mine. But for ocean crossing, or any serious passage making, you might want to leave it at home.
I’ll take my chances with the dinghy on davits and avoid the North Sea.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 01:46   #197

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
BUT it’s unlikely that even half the participants on this forum even own a boat, and the remaining half who do, only an extremely small percentage will ever venture beyond 50 miles from their home port. So shouldn’t we place an emphasis on discussing issues regarding safety that pertain to the majority, rather than what the extreme situations the minority might find themselves in?

Well, sure, but that would be a different thread, I guess.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 01:46   #198

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I’ll take my chances with the dinghy on davits and avoid the North Sea.

We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 01:49   #199
cruiser

Quote:
Well, sure, but that would be a different thread, I guess.
We’re discussing MOB for couples on this thread. Since most couples don’t cross oceans or the North Sea East to West, this would probably be the best place to discuss it.

What is the preferred method on your boat for MOB rescue in relatively benign conditions if you were one of two people onboard?
Old 14-04-2019, 09:39   #200

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
BUT it’s unlikely that even half the participants on this forum even own a boat, and the remaining half who do, only an extremely small percentage will ever venture beyond 50 miles from their home port. So shouldn’t we place an emphasis on discussing issues regarding safety that pertain to the majority, rather than what the extreme situations the minority might find themselves in?
Actually, no. There is no reason to focus on the majority at all. This is a forum for cruisers. All types of cruising is of interest and trying to limit the discussion to some undefined majority is just plain boring. Trying to use some majority situation to dismiss real challenges faced by others is not productive.

On your dinghy rescue approach for an an MOB, I don't know any experienced, long distance cruisers who keep their dinghy on davits while offshore. It just exposes too much risk.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 09:47   #201
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
I don't know anyone who goes offshore with a dinghy in davits, and I couldn't recommend it....

Anyone with a catamaran!

Seriously, many truly nestle the dinghy between the hulls so that it is quite safe (not all). It is also often forward of the transom, so waves don't catch it. A totally different case.
Old 14-04-2019, 09:53   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Anyone with a catamaran!

Seriously, many truly nestle the dinghy between the hulls so that it is quite safe (not all). It is also often forward of the transom, so waves don't catch it. A totally different case.
Oops, I forgot about the Cats. Many , perhaps most, of them succesfully carry their dinks on davits. Its interesting that the davits are typically lower than the monos, with much better stabilization with lines from tbe sterns.
Old 14-04-2019, 09:59   #203
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

On your dinghy rescue approach for an an MOB, I don't know any experienced, long distance cruisers who keep their dinghy on davits while offshore. It just exposes too much risk.
You must have forgot about some monohulls too.

Here’s a short video of the start of the most recent “Oyster Round the World Rally” where it looks like all of the 31 boats have a dinghy mounted on the stern davits except for the two 88 footers.

But don’t take my word for it, here.... see for yourself:
Old 14-04-2019, 10:08   #204

Quote:

Here’s a short video of the start of the most recent “Oyster Round the World Rally” where it looks like all of the 31 boats have a dinghy mounted on the stern davits except for the two 88 footers.

I don't watch online videos. But I'll take your word for it. Must be a big Oyster thing. Got a video of them finishing tbe RTW with the dinghies still on the davits
Edit:
On a more serious note, those large rally boats mostly have large crews, ie greater than 2. So they need large tenders. Once you commit to a large tender on boat not specifically designed for it you pretty much have to use the davits. If the mothership is large enough then you can have bow mounts setup to take the tender in its upright position.
The rest of us tend to use smaller tenders that fit easily on the bow upside down.
Old 14-04-2019, 10:29   #205
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

Agreed Ken
If your davit system is robust enough, designed to cradel the tender and you have adequate freeboard, i believe there is less risk carrying the RIB on the back, than on the foredeck.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190414-010703_Gallery.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	190057

Click image for larger version

Name:	1ac Stern boarding.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	190058

My stern ladder, (being used as a gangway on first picture) swings up under RIB keel to clamp and chock RIB in place under heavily constructed davits.
Together with canvas slings and bowsing tackle, the RIB becomes an integral part of the stern.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 10:35   #206

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:

So why spend all of our rescue training on a recovery situation that in all likelihood will never again happen? We should train for the common occurrences and continue to avoid the bad stuff. IMHO.
I truly don't want to get into it again with you but this statement probably highlights why there is an underlying tension throughout this thread.

I absolutely, with no doubt in my my mind, disagree with the initial statement you make. Why train for a an unlikely situation? I truly think the unlikely situation is the one that needs the most amount of training. Where else will you ever get any ability to survive it? But that, as you say, is only my humble opinion. I just don't think training is a limited resource that needs to be conserved.
Old 14-04-2019, 12:12   #207
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I truly don't want to get into it again with you but this statement probably highlights why there is an underlying tension throughout this thread.

I absolutely, with no doubt in my my mind, disagree with the initial statement you make. Why train for a an unlikely situation? I truly think the unlikely situation is the one that needs the most amount of training. Where else will you ever get any ability to survive it? But that, as you say, is only my humble opinion. I just don't think training is a limited resource that needs to be conserved.
Rather than simply criticizing those of us offering up possible solutions to the MOB situation presented by the OP Thinwater, please offer up what you do on your boat to recover a MOB.

What is the procedure you and your crew practice? I’ve recommended several methods, and Paul introduced us to the Ocean Signal MOB1.

Now it’s your turn...
Old 14-04-2019, 15:05   #208

Once while offshore near the Farallon Islands my S.O. went below to fix lunch. Nothing fancy just noodle salad and sandwiches. Stereo was on below and about ten minutes into her preparing lunch I noticed several Orca broaching near the boat. I started screaming for her to come on deck and bring the camera. No response. I had to literally go below grab the camera and her hand and get back on deck. She never heard me yelling. Of course, by that time and probably terrified by my screaming the Orca were far from the boat and swimming fast, so no pics.

This is how it is going to happen; seemingly innocuous set of events and a person is lost. If I had seen the Orca ten minuets earlier, stood on the transom for a better view and slipped, you wouldn’t be reading this post. She would have never heard me screaming and would have traveled ½ mile before coming on deck and notice me gone. Clear and sunny, six-foot seas, 20 knots, water temp between 45-50 I would have succumbed to hypothermia long before she would have found me.

As it was, I was so excited at the sighting I was bouncing around the cockpit like a puppy on a leash. Had I not been clipped in I could very easily see myself going over. But that's us, no one on deck alone without being clipped in.

So, we have three scenarios, the first, and most common, calm seas, daytime, everyone on deck and someone goes over for whatever reason, Orca sighting, peeing off the transom. Easy-peasy, just hang a U-turn and scoop them up. Everyone should practice this one with a watermelon or water jug weekly or at least once a month.

Second scenario, only one crew on deck, person below hears nothing, not so easy-peasy. Depending on length of time before discovery, probable body recovery no rescue. This is the number one loss of life for fishermen and bargemen. (persons?)

Third scenario, gale force winds, 12-foot seas, at night, doesn’t matter who’s on deck your chances of getting back on board are slim to none.

Obviously, there are dozens of other scenarios that would send persons overboard, but I believe these three covers about 90%. MOB alarms, location electronics, all necessary items for couple cruising. All useless if you don't have a plan to get your partner back onboard.

Anyone out there practice for scenarios two and three? Who out there is willing to plunk down $700 for an OSCAR training dummy, strap on a PFD, assorted electronics and throw it overboard for a training exercise? Because a watermelon ain't going to cut it for those two.

If you’re a boat owner and have any number of crew sailing coastal or offshore you have a responsibility to try and keep them safe. Worst case scenario is trying to explain to a missing crewmembers loved ones how you lost them at sea because you were to stupid to have a plan and practice it.

After reading this thread I just placed my order for OSCAR and am searching for a competent MOB training class to update my skills. I don’t believe there is one perfect way for MOB recovery. Everyone will have their own methods for getting a crewmember back onboard. Depends on boat type, physical ability, and skill at performing that method and getting it right. You need to attend training classes to find which method works best for you. And practice!

What's the saying, if your prepared for something it will never happen...
faragaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob