Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2020, 20:20   #1

Mast overhang on the Erie Canal

I'm trying to make mental plans for heading from Chicago to New Jersey. There are a few options on routes and I think I've narrowed it down to heading to Buffalo and down the Erie Canal. That will require unstepping the mast at the west end and stepping it again on the east end.

My challenge is the mast is close to 55 feet long (keel step) plus antenna and stuff. That would mean that I would have a little over 12 feet of overhang on each end. Is that too much or am I being a little overly cautious?
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 00:43   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Mast overhang on the Erie Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post
I'm trying to make mental plans for heading from Chicago to New Jersey. There are a few options on routes and I think I've narrowed it down to heading to Buffalo and down the Erie Canal. That will require unstepping the mast at the west end and stepping it again on the east end.

My challenge is the mast is close to 55 feet long (keel step) plus antenna and stuff. That would mean that I would have a little over 12 feet of overhang on each end. Is that too much or am I being a little overly cautious?
I’ve done this trip and you’re good. Same as everyone else doing the trip.

12ft looks like a lot of nothing when you are actually at the helm.

There aren’t really any situations where it’s an issue.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 00:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

What Chotu said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 05:54   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've seen plenty of people do it without issue. The overhang may be a mild annoyance when entering a lock or docking, but it shouldn't be a problem.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 06:22   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30

When you take the mast down spend a few minutes removing the VHF antenna, Windex, and maybe tricolour. When you are manoeuvring the part sticking out ahead is obvious, just be aware of what is behind. When you are leaving a lock going downhill don't pull off the wall too sharply. Also the tallest lock in Little Falls requires you to tie up on the south (starboard) side so you can set things up accordingly and use this side throughout. Very pleasant trip.
Old 31-12-2020, 08:34   #6

Boat: Catalina 375

Agree 100% with Ainia. The only problem I had was caused by a lock master who thought he would have some fun with me when letting in water. Other than one, I found all other lock masters great. When I went thru debris was a bigger problem.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 08:55   #7
jlb

We have a 65 ft mast plus 3 ft wind sensor. No problems in locks from Hudson to Oswego with 3 of us fending off and keeping parallel to lock walls.

Bring rubber gloves for everyone. The walls are covered with barnacles.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 08:56   #8

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

When we came through from Buffalo to Oswego there were no significant issues. Our 36 foot boat has a 55 foot mast. Clear the masthead of anything you don't want to break or lose. Also make sure turnbuckles are secured so they don't vibrate and fall off the shrouds.

Bear in mind the locks are only 45 wide, it is not possible to turn the boat around in the lock and if the boat should drift away from the lock and get cockeyed in the lock you'll find yourself stuck in the middle, unable to reach the lock walls and if the motor stops or won't start you'll be in a bit of a pickle. It is a particularly challenging situation when you are at the bottom of the lock and there is a bridge full of onlookers looking down at you. Just Sayin'

Also, be sure to have at least 2 boat hooks. That way you'll have a spare.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 09:02   #9

I agree with gloves and boat hooks. My personal equipment requirements are a pair of heavy leather gloves and a non-extendable boat hook for each person. The lock walls are slimy and gross, so you definitely don't want to touch them with bare hands. Extendable boat hooks have a habit of extending or collapsing at inopportune times if you push or pull to hard with them, so I avoid them in the locks.
Old 31-12-2020, 09:13   #10

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
We have a 65 ft mast plus 3 ft wind sensor. No problems in locks from Hudson to Oswego with 3 of us fending off and keeping parallel to lock walls.

Bring rubber gloves for everyone. The walls are covered with barnacles.
No barnacles in fresh water.

There may be some zebra mussels with very sharp shells.

Cheap leather work gloves are a good idea.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 09:35   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Another thought came to mind, don't make an effort to keep tight to the wall. Often the water flow will allow you to ride a couple of feet off. That is best.
Old 31-12-2020, 09:47   #12

Boat: Columbia 36

12 feet longer isn't that bad, only 6 feet on each end and you shouldn't be getting that close to anything. Some boats with a high aspect keel stepped mast might be 20 feet longer, not such a good idea. Bigger problem is it will always be in the way, blocking your view, tripping hazard from all the lashings, etc. Good planning is key here to minimize the obstructions.
A lot of boats going back and forth from Chicago to Mobile take the mast off and have it shipped by truck. $$$ but the easiest. Helps if there's several going at once to share the cost, the truck can probably take 10 or more. They probably do it on the Erie too but not as many.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 09:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Another thought came to mind, don't make an effort to keep tight to the wall. Often the water flow will allow you to ride a couple of feet off. That is best.

Agreed. And that's one of the times the boat hooks come in. You can often use them to fend from further away from the wall before the fenders touch.
Old 31-12-2020, 09:50   #14

Boat: O'Day 27 1978

I have done the trip a number of times including on a Nonsuch 30. 30 ft with a 55 ft mast.

Unstep the mast at Oshwago and restep either at a marina the other end or do it yourself with the ginpole at Castleton.

Only problems I have had with the trip in the past is the mast was not secure enough and there was a little blow on Lake Oneida.. we managed but it got a little hairy. Wait for a weather window.

Another time we were stranded in the canal for a couple of weeks due to flooding. This caused a dangerous cross current, but we had lots of warning from the local authorities.

Third hint put the mast foot forward .. that will save the instruments on the top of the mast.

I have done it basically single handed. The lock keepers are great. One stern line and one bow line (they work as springs), stand at the centre balance point of the boat and bend the the lines over the ladder rungs. You will have perfect control.

The first time we went through we had no money so we anchored all the way down to New York, including New York in the anchorage behind the Statue of Liberty. It was the start of a circumnavigation and we did not go into a marina except for fuel and supplies for two years.

When you get across Lake Erie to The Welland Canal (Mast up) there is free dockage at the entrance to the canal where you phone the authorities for passage. There is an information sign at the entrance to the canal. The Welland Canal is also easy. Port Colborne is good for provisioning, check out the friendly marina if you need anything.

Next the Panama Canal, which is also fun.
Curmugeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 09:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmugeon View Post
When you get across Lake Erie to The Welland Canal (Mast up) there is free dockage at the entrance to the canal where you phone the authorities for passage. There is an information sign at the entrance to the canal. The Welland Canal is also easy. Port Colborne is good for provisioning, check out the friendly marina if you need anything.

In a sailboat, I'd skip the Welland and just do the west end of the Erie Canal, starting on Tonawanda. With the mast down, the 15'6" air draft limit won't be any more limiting than the 21' on the Oswego and the East End. Unless it's a very deep draft boat, the west end of the Erie Canal will be just fine, without the border crossing, etc. for the Welland. Plus, as far as I know, until Canada re-opens the border for recreational travel, a Welland Canal transit is off limits anyway. Only way to get a US boat through is to have a delivery captain take it through.

Tags
canal, mast