Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2019, 20:45   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Marina outlaws rowing of dinghy's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenny64 View Post
forgive me if missed something along the way.

they forbid rowing a dinghy to get water.. period...
no mention of other boats in the channel at the time
so even if its all clear. rowing isn't allowed..
save the rules.. sorry I forget the ## but avoid a collision...first priority..

ok..now my dinghy is a kayak..no motor..not an option..

am I allowed in the marina? hum? doesn't seem fair..

ok..I'm in a dinghy with a motor that isn't working great.
yep..got one..been there.. oars are the backup... so how does
marina rule on this?

yall seem to worried about he dinghy in the channel.. uh..unless the dinghy was crossing the channel..why does this matter.. the OP stated they ( oared dinghy) were band....everywhere or did I miss this??

all paddle boats banned.? I know this might NOT be US so some thinking is different..

-dkenny64

The OP quoted the marina:

Crown Bay Marina requires that all vessels entering into the Crown Bay Marina basin be under full power.

From what other posters, who apparently are familiar with the marina in question, have said about the entrance- that seems quite reasonable to me
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 21:34   #47

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 45.2

It’s a stupid answer from the marina management that has created a dangerous situation

Any power or sail vessel entering under full power would violate the speed limit and create a wash hazardous to other boats and users.

The response of the marina shows a lack of understanding of what they want.

I could also argue that a dinghy under oars is also under full power

This is a. Classic example that rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise people
colinalleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 22:35   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinalleck View Post

This is a. Classic example that rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise people
No....I would judge it to be a focus on semantics as opposed to the intent of the message.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 23:59   #49

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Relax, this is an old rule. The Crown Marina established it to protect HM fleet from incomming Viking Dragon war ships, that row from time to time in into the marina.

Just think about it ...[emoji23]
Old 24-02-2019, 07:43   #50

Marinas are businesses. Greed sometimes foolishly leads to loss of potential profits from future sales.

The marina pays for water...water is not free. Greed.
5 gals = 12 cents in St Pete.

It is not about rowing in.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 08:32   #51

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

The scourge of Florida's coast are the vacationers with zero common sense on kayaks and SUP boards for their first time. If they can get rid of the SUP that randomly decide to cross in front of me while maneuvering into a slip; or the group of kayakers that sit, not moving at all, in the middle of the channel just staring at the "big boat" in front of them... all while I try not to get carried away by the current into multi million dollar boats, then I'm all for these rule and enforcement at the marina level. Next up, PWC rentals with zero experience

Everyone should be able to get on the water. But man, the rental companies really need to offer some instructions to kayaks and SUPs before letting let loose.

I'd hazard a guess that the rowing dinghy, regardless of the abilities of its owner, was swept up in the rules to keep these other "rowing sports" out of the way of their boaters.

Matt
Old 24-02-2019, 12:23   #52

Boat: hans christian 38

I agree that this seems a little ridiculous. That said, Many soft bottom inflatables row like they were under the command of a one armed man, especially when loaded or in a stiff wind. Also, the rower has his back to the direction of travel, which can cause problems if "situational awareness" is lacking. Just sayin'.
captdavematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 06:11   #53

Boat: Feltz Scorpion II 12m bermudia rig pilothouse

Clearly none of the above have ever been to Beaucette Marina Guernsey (though I dont know if they have such a rule there). It is a flooded ex quarry and the entrance is a narrow channel blasted in the rocks which the huge tides there rushes through. If you came across a dingy being rowed going in or out you would have to slow (there is not room to pass) so much that even with thrusters you would probably end up on the rocks!

Look it up

Dave
davefrediam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:50   #54

Is there anything in the Rules that gives the rowboat right of way? Other than that 'common sense' that was mentioned.
jb2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:02   #55

There is a clear consensus that rowing boats should be banned just in case.....
George Orwell said that individuality was bad and should be eliminated and this has been repeated by everyone with a small amount of authority.

Personally I take to the water to escape the rules and regulations and when I can't I do my damnedest to not get caught
Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:12   #56

Boat: Pearson 34-2

On the surface it sounds like a rule based on greed. I am not familiar with that marina, but some of the ones I have been to rowing inside them would be suicide. Too many incompetent people out there. I have to agree with a previous poster who said " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and obedience of fools". It may be perfectly safe in some places, and not in others.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:20   #57

How can it be a no wake zone with a requirement of full power on all vessels?
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:32   #58

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
Morning everyone,

So I was reading through a blog (Far Reach Voyages) and it mentioned that there was a marina that forbid him to row his dinghy into the marina for water. So I reached out and asked the marina to clarify their position. I got a piddly little 2 line response.

__________________________________________________ ___

Yes, that is correct. Crown Bay Marina requires that all vessels entering into the Crown Bay Marina basin be under full power.

We thank you very much for taking the time to verify.

Kind regards,

Christine Starshak

Crown Bay Marina
8168 Crown Bay Marina
Suite 528
St. Thomas, VI 00802
P: 340-774-2255

End Quote
__________________________________________________ ___

Now while I personally think this seems like a very silly rule, they can make any rules they like inside their own marina. But I would like to understand better where they are coming from on this.

What I am wondering is, why do you think they would make such a rule??

-Because people who still row their dinghy are perhaps looked upon as an undesirable crowd for the marina? Perhaps they only want big powerful RIB's because they know the people have money to spend?

In the blog post it is mentioned that they say a dinghy under oars might not be able to get out of the way fast enough...
-I thought rules of the road would put the dinghy under oar in right of way (first off), as well as the fact that my Fatty Knees would not respond any faster under engine than her oars. She is also MUCH more maneuverable under oars. Although I bet that would be true with an inflatable under oar.

Chime in and let me know what you think.

If you disagree with the marina rule, the power is always in our hands- dont support their business until they change the rule.

If you do support this rule, please explain your position for it.

Thank you everyone!
I so wish I was still in boating. I'd LOVE to ZOOM into their marina under FULL power.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2019, 08:14   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Pelagic, pls. check my quote again, I did say the rower was at risk. However, I know the motor yacht is the stand on vessel over the dinghy when it is constrained in its ability to maneuver, and I have been the constrained one when a flock of sailing dinghies has come out using the whole fairway, and finally had to shout at them that I was constrained by depth, and to get out of the way. So they got a lesson about constrained in ability to maneuvre, and I got one in keeping my temper! But they have a right to be there, too, they're going out to race in the bay, and as soon as they can, they get out of the way. You can bet their parents have told them a zillion times that all of us will watch out for them, too. WHO EVER SAID LIFE WAS FAIR???

If I had a suggestion that might help, it would be to come and buy water with your dinghy at the low traffic hours, and if the marina says use your motor, then he should use a motor. Or borrow a dinghy with one for the trip, it would not be a big deal to help him.

It is we, each of us, who are responsible for keeping the cruising community a pleasant place, and so we must treat others in the way we would hope to be treated, according to local customs for guests, which makes it a little more complicated till you learn the shape of what that is.

Ann
Would the guy in the dinghy get the 'restricted in ability to maneuver' tag also because he just can't row any faster? Should the big boat hold position while the dinghy clears out of the channel?
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:03   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2c View Post
Is there anything in the Rules that gives the rowboat right of way? Other than that 'common sense' that was mentioned.
nothing about oars except what lights they may display. Vessels under oars are a "special circumstance" just like three vessels meeting, which is also not explicitly mentioned. These are all covered under rule 2A

"Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner, master or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case."

basically, both vessels should do what they must to avoid a collision. nice catch-all rule.
dasreboot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy