Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 16:07   #16

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: Main Sail Down Haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt5795 View Post
I have a Columbia 45 and a downhaul was mandatory with my old mainsail. I had the arrangement mentioned above with a 1/4" line attached to the headboard and halyard shackle.

I replaced my sails and added the Tide Marine track system. I don't need a downhaul any more. When i release the halyard, the sail comes down, even if i am not quite into the wind. I cannot say the Tides Marine track system will work on all boats but it works like a dream on mine. It is easy to install too.

Yes the Tides track is the way to go. Since installing this on top of my old style track when I got a new main with full battens, the sail drops so fast I have to keep some tension on the halyard if I want a nice fold onto the boom (Dutchman system). Installation was easy. The slides are strong and haven't failed in 3 years and being plastic there is no wear on the boltrope.
Old 26-01-2021, 17:26   #17

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Have you cleaned the track? When we had a mast down, I ran a pressure washer down the track and was amazed by the amount of crud that flew out.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 14:22   #18

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I installed a teflon sail track called a "strong track" and my full-battened sail just drops easily. Reef lines should do the rest,
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 14:52   #19

Boat: Columbia 45

My boat had the same metal track system, you will live the Tides Track!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
I'm sure glad to hear 3 positive comments about Tides Track! I just ordered it to upgrade the finicky/often sticking external 7/8 track system on my main an mizzen along new full batten sails. Cost is very reasonable compared to any of the other bat-car or track systems I looked into, and certainly cheaper than new spars!
jjt5795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 07:04   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

I have sailed on boats with the Tides Marine sail track and it works VERY well. It costs about $30 per foot of mast track for the kit, including the slides but not counting the cost to have a sailmaker attach the new slides to your sail.

You can install the track from the deck without removing the mast. Their full batten cars are the best part since they "swivel" to prevent binding...

I am looking at reefing options for my boat since I single hand, and with my age the hopping back & forth between the cabin rooftop and cockpit kills my knees.

I plan to install two separate lines for each reef: one for the clew, one for the tack and bringing the lines all back to the cockpit.

The "tack line" would also perform the function of a "downhaul".

Christian Williams who at 70+ sails single hand between Los Angeles and Hawaii has a similar setup two line reef system on his 38 ft Erickson:

cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail