Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 08:39   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Logbook / Maintenance Software

Can anyone recommend software replacement for the standard logbook including ways of recording maintenance, important documents. Preferably it would have a cloud component.

What are some of the systems people are using?

Thanks

Gary
S/V Acadia
gconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 14:46   #2

Boat: Hunter 34
Re: Logbook / Maintenance Software

Literally Excel... It is the most customization directly suited to you with the most basic learning curve. If you understand rows and columns and can type, anyone can do it.

Not knocking fancier app based stuff, but with office 365, excel has an online component or you can use openoffice or google sheets. All cloud based and all the same basic platform.

Also great for provisioning, and if you really wanted, not that hard for the same platform (probably not cloud based for this stuff) to do sms/email reminders, pre-emptive scheduling for calendar maintenance, barcoding for spares, predictive maintenance, etc... sky is the limit honestly depending on the time you want to spend creating your log book and your advanced excel abilities.
Artey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 15:00   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

+1 for a generic spreadsheet program (Excel, Numbers, OpenOffice).

I have mine set up with both hours and time increments for all maintenance operations (engines, transmissions, props, generator, water maker, etc.) I just plug current hours in at the top (and it knows the date) and it immediately flags all the operations in yellow if needed soon or red if past due. Took much longer to look up all the maintenance intervals than to actually set up the spreadsheet formulas.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 04:03   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Notes on an ipad. Is searchable, can copy in photos, can be formatted with bold, underline, dot points, etc. Is also automatically available on my iphone, plus automatically backed up to the cloud. Have 20-30 notes on all sorts of topics.

Excel is good if you are using lots of numbers, ie I use excel when I download info from the nav software ie weighpoints, lat / long, etc. However for text based work (ie for most of a logbook) I prefer word processing based system).

Ilenart

PS its also free on the ipad
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 04:16   #5

Boat: Rival 36

I’d recommend Tap Forms which is infinitely flexible for many tasks. I use it to keep track of all sorts of boaty things like equipment, serial numbers, maintenance and even trips made by individual crew members. Works on iPhone and iPad but not sure about Android.
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 18:34   #6

My wife signed us up to trial a digital logbook called SeaLogs. SeaLogs.com.
She uses this now as our ships log, and I've moved from our excel based maintenance system to having everything now kept within sealogs. I've found it be quite good as it gives you colour changes and a count down for when tasks are nearing due. So far, I'm actually quite impressed by this software. Could be worth having a look at too.
BoatieUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, software