Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 15:25   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: leave the mainsheet cam open

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Occasionally have seen jam cleats installed backwards. They should be installed so the line leads around the non jam side first then around the jam side. If installed the other way round you could have a sheet jam, weird they'd call it a jam cleat, and be unable to release it. Really like jam cleats cause you can secure a line by just going around the cleat once. Way faster to uncleat.

I'm sure we all know not to ever lock wrap a cleat no matter what kind of cleat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 16:29   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I'm sure we all know not to ever lock wrap a cleat no matter what kind of cleat.

Do you mean a "weather hitch" aka "final half hitch"?

Nope, I don't know that.
On the contrary, there are a number f situations when I finish cleating with a "weather hitch"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 16:50   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

The OP just needs a bit more experience with boats that are close by.

Racing is excellent training for this and those that learn through racing would never have this problem but beginner racers definitely do
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 17:27   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post
Can others help unconfuse me???

A64pilot is clearly an experienced sailor, BUT i was taught something different in sailing school in the last year. Please help me understand.

Trust me, I’m anything but an experienced sailor.
I was taught the half roll thing like you were in Boy Scouts, and it looks pretty, but doesn’t work well in practice.
I need to learn what your describing, but I don’t want to lay a line on deck as most you can’t, there isn’t room in the cockpit and all my lines are run back to there, or at least the ones I use are.
I’ve just taken to the lines having the figure eight, it doesn’t seem to be an issue, just doesn’t look as pretty.
However I don’t put my lines up like most do either so I guess I’m just different.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 17:28   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwood View Post
I'm trying to look up what a sail tailer is (still learning) and my google page keeps taking me to boat trailers .lol........love these pages.. getting help I didn't even know I needed..yet

Google self tailing winch, I’m sure that will show you.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 07:04   #36

My main sheet does not go through a line stopper. It is directly rapped around the winch. This habit came from my old small boat racing days. Never cleat a sheet.

If it hasn't already been said, once you turn on the motor and whether or not you have sails up, you are required to follow motor boat rules of the road.
Rick01541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 07:15   #37

Boat: 1995 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.1

"Always keep the main sheet on the winch with the cam cleat open."

This is standard teaching by the RYA.
AJ-SeaChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 08:16   #38

Not knowing the size of your boat, I don't know if this is practical: I would much prefer to have the main sheet with enough purchase on the pulleys to not need to use a winch. Cam/clam cleats, when under strain, can be instantly freed with a good tug rather than pull. I have never used a self-tailing winch, but I think I would take the sheet out of the self tailer and use a cam cleat when sails are set appropriately.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 08:19   #39

Don't figure-8 or cleat spinaker sheets.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 08:54   #40

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
For your second point, you don't necessarily have to motor, but if there's significant traffic in the harbor it might be advisable to motor-sail or to at least start the motor before entering the harbor so it's ready if you need it for maneuvering (and you can then choose to drop the sails at any point depending on conditions).
Just remember, once you start that engine, you are a motor vessel, not a sail vessel.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 09:19   #41

Boat: Hunter 356 35'6"

Good thread and great information as I need to keep a straighter cockpit when sailing. That is very relevant and I need to work on that.

Our main sheet is through a clutch and I normally adjust and close the clutch, and remove from the winch. I can either have the out haul or main sheet on the winch at one time as there is one winch for boom vang, out haul and main sheet.

For quick adjustments to the main sail the traveler is close by the helm and I can adjust quickly for any gusts or puffs. If more is needed then the main sheet will be adjusted using just the clutch or winch if needed.

Jeff
jeff356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 11:30   #42

I was also thinking about the point of sailing in crowded conditions. If you have a working engine, use it. I have seen folks trying to sail in tight spots on the intracoastal.. Not good.
Sandydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 13:13   #43
sdj
cruiser

Boat: Ganley Pacemaker 40

Yep, you were right to begin with and you should have stuck with it. Tempting to show the new crew your skills isn't it, but the best skills are getting everyone home safe, not rolling the dice.

Probably best to take a look at your decision making processes there. Crew related, I'd say.
sdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 14:05   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff356 View Post
Good thread and great information as I need to keep a straighter cockpit when sailing. That is very relevant and I need to work on that.

Our main sheet is through a clutch and I normally adjust and close the clutch, and remove from the winch. I can either have the out haul or main sheet on the winch at one time as there is one winch for boom vang, out haul and main sheet.

For quick adjustments to the main sail the traveler is close by the helm and I can adjust quickly for any gusts or puffs. If more is needed then the main sheet will be adjusted using just the clutch or winch if needed.

Jeff
If you want to get properly scared out of that habit, next time it is blowing 15-20, bring the main all the way in- over the centerline. Now fall off to a beam reach to intentionally overload the sail (like getting caught in a squall you did not see coming), now try to open the clutch. You will discover the only way to open most clutches is to pull in on the main sheet, to get the load off the clutch and then open the clutch. That delay is enough for "bad things to happen".

No one is perfect, so the trick is to minimize the downside risk when not if, you mess up.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 15:01   #45
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
My boat does not have self- trailers either —- real sailors can tail their own winch [emoji41].

I have jam aka clam cleats for the jib sheets

A jam cleat and a cam cleat are not the same thing. Not even close.b Nomenclature really does matter.