Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2015, 22:28   #31

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Knock Down Off Colombian Coast

When slammed like that the water may as well be as hard as ice...

Lookee here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...na-126027.html
and here
https://petepowell.wordpress.com
Old 21-02-2015, 01:14   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There was another thread about this event, the owner of the boat posted in that thread.
They were "close in".

From the folks we have talked to that did this run, close is really only a few miles off shore and if it took him all night to get in he was out in the worst of it. Again the who told us how to do it stayed way in and by way in they said a couple of miles to 5nm off and at night try to tuck in to a bay or sheltered anchorage if one was available. We were told to be patient as there were a few days of relative calm (winds in the 15+ range) and sailing is good so plan accordingly.

In this part of the world the winds actually get worse at night not lay down.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 10:18   #33

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Interesting article, Cal. My take on this story has nothing to do with boat construction or being saved by Spot, but rather the seamanship exhibited by the Captain when faced with a life threatening situation. For those among us who have been in military combat situations, played organized sports at higher levels or have been involved in a physical defense of your life, you realize that your strongest asset in a struggle is your will to survive and the ability to overcome the odds against you. You may have the perfectly constructed boat with unlimited mechanical/electrical devices and a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips, but fail under pressure at a critical moment. For me, this is not a story of the best "well found boat" but rather a story of survival where despite the odds against the captain, he encountered a mortal challenge and overcame it by his own skill, determination and resolve. Kudos to the Captain for a job well done!
Old 21-02-2015, 15:06   #34

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I think I read in the article the guy made it to shore by sheeting out. meaning his safe refuge was down wind. He can't have been very off shore if he made it over night with a heavily reefed main and a damaged rig. I'm guessing 20 miles or less.

you absolutely can not use a drogue with a Columbian rainforest 20 miles down wind of you.
Yes, that's a logical assumption. So why leave the helm with breaking seas around? He could have been in safety in just 3 or 4 hours.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 05:13   #35

Boat: C&C 48 Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Yes, that's a logical assumption. So why leave the helm with breaking seas around? He could have been in safety in just 3 or 4 hours.
Because the Monitor wind-vane we had steered a good course, I had been up for nearly 3 days straight because of 2 days of consecutive squalls and before that we had to navigate a literal forest of flotsom for 24 hours. I only went below to warm up and get another jacket because every passing wave was making it's way on board.
We had our third reef in and were making acceptable headway before the main ripped and at which point we headed for Cabo De la Vela to make repairs.
Drouges only work down wind, far from shore or if your not actively sailing. We were not in 'survival mode' before we were hit we were making way. The anchorage was bout 18nm away and were hit by a wave that was not only larger but from an angle about 30 degrees different form the predominate swell.
The first paragraph was not about arrogance but set the stage especially for the non-sailing readers of the blog that the article was originally posed in. We took that coast seriously and waited till there was an strong enough low to the north west of us enough to bend the winds to our favor. Just couldn't predict the counter Caribbean current to have reversed and be running 2 kts against us or that the bloated Rio Magdalena would be putting whole trees into the open ocean.
SakPase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 05:21   #36

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakPase View Post
Because the Monitor wind-vane we had steered a good course, I had been up for nearly 3 days straight because of 2 days of consecutive squalls and before that we had to navigate a literal forest of flotsom for 24 hours. I only went below to warm up and get another jacket because every passing wave was making it's way on board.
We had our third reef in and were making acceptable headway before the main ripped and at which point we headed for Cabo De la Vela to make repairs.
Drouges only work down wind, far from shore or if your not actively sailing. We were not in 'survival mode' before we were hit we were making way. The anchorage was bout 18nm away and were hit by a wave that was not only larger but from an angle about 30 degrees different form the predominate swell.
The first paragraph was not about arrogance but set the stage especially for the non-sailing readers of the blog that the article was originally posed in. We took that coast seriously and waited till there was an strong enough low to the north west of us enough to bend the winds to our favor. Just couldn't predict the counter Caribbean current to have reversed and be running 2 kts against us or that the bloated Rio Magdalena would be putting whole trees into the open ocean.
Thank you for sharing
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 05:36   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakPase View Post
Glad you make it safely. Boats can be replaced.

Im really interested in learning about your experiences in Columbia. My research shows avg. daily low of 70F avg daily high 90F with low humidity and wonderful trades all along the north coast. Reasonable prices for living, and the women......but Ive not been there.

If you want to PM me that would save space her. Thanks
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 05:44   #38

Boat: C&C 48 Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Did not read the whole thing but the first paragraph says it all. He was told that this was a bad stretch of water and he just knew that these people just did not like big water. All i read in the first paragraph was arrogance. Trying to take on those waters in a 28' boat and then leave the tiller is height of stupidity that is if you know that the area is huge problem which is obvious they did not nor did they listen.

If they did their work and knew the weather in that part of the Carib they would know there is a permanent low over that area and the winds and seas are huge and there are 2 ways to get around it. 1 is to go close in and hope day to day really close in and anchor if the winds get up to much. The 2nd is to go way and i mean way a few hundred miles off shore to get around it.

We know of one other boat that was rolled in the same area but fortunately he made it ok into Cartagena as he was headed westward.

Why people just don't do their homework if simply beyond me. In this case arrogance of youth and a bulletproof mentality.

they are lucky to be alive.
Wow you can tell all that from the paragraph designed to set the stage.
I studied the sterch from Colombia to the abcs for 4 or 5 months and consulted many people who had made the passage both ways, we were fortunate to get a nice weather window in about 5 weeks of waiting.

Without the delays we had(current, squalls and flotsom) we would have cleared Cabo De La Vela before the winds picked up and would had the option to either pull into Bahia Honda if things looked bad or push on the Boniare if the weather outlook remained favorable. Unfortunately for us we were only averaging ~50nm a day (only 24nm the day we had to navigate the Rio Madgalena outflow). When we passed Santa Maria we were finally making good headway close hulled so we passed it by. As we passed the anchorage for Cabo De La Vela the wind had picked up significantly but things were under control and we were making fair headway, so we planned to push on towards Bahia Honda, as planned, and make our next decision there.
SakPase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 06:03   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

"Stuff happens" I don't mean to belittle anyone with that statement, but to say I'd have done this or that and it wouldn't have happened to me just isn't fair. Yes, we all want to believe "it wouldn't happen to me" none of us get into an automobile for example expecting to get crushed and burn to death, but some do. You can do 1000 things perfectly and if your unlucky the one thing you do wrong gets you. Nobody's perfect and we all makes mistakes all the time, just almost always we get away with it. If he had gone below at any other time that when he did, he would have been at the tiller and maybe could have prevented the damage, maybe not.
Heck being below may have saved his life, who's to say? Nobody can maintain 100% diligence for days on end, it's just not possible

I believe it's UV that ages fiberglass, actually the resin of course and I'd argue that if there is lower strength due to aging in fiberglass, better to be overbuilt to begin with as opposed to being just strong enough.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 07:11   #40

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I wonder what effect this story has on the folks who trumpet endlessly about the "tank-like boats built back w hen they didn't know how strong FRP was, and so overbuilt them"?

Not wanting to denigrate this couples efforts or their vessel, but that was a lot of damage from a rolling event.

Jim
Especially a Triton. Those are usually regarded as extra tank like. Goes to show anything can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
"Stuff happens"
I think Forrest said it best

Hard to argue otherwise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49057979.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	97880  
Old 25-02-2015, 07:15   #41

Boat: Catalina 30

Sakpase,

Thanks for sharing on the thread. Glad to know everyone was safe and well after it was over. If it were me there I probably would have evacuated my bowels before the dog did. If you have anymore details, pictures, or points you left out of the article I am positive there are many here that would love to hear or see them
Old 25-02-2015, 08:45   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Especially a Triton. Those are usually regarded as extra tank like. Goes to show anything can happen.

I think Forrest said it best

Hard to argue otherwise
Which is the reason I started this thread... apparently not "tank like" from the picture of the damage.... I don't see anything in that pic to indicate it's heavy built at all.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 15:24   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I thought I starter this thread - Hmm...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 15:48   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
You are right! I guess I started the other one about it....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...il-140421.html

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 15:51   #45

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Alter ego?
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Colombia