Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 07:05   #1

Ketch Fuji 35 or Sloop Pearson 36?

I've sailed since is was 16 and now retired at 66 I'm looking to get back into it here in the great PNW. Last yatch was a marvelous Pearson 43' sloop that had six foot four inch berths for 9 adults and a head on both port and starboard.

Kids are off raising the grandkids now and with my having been away from sailing for about 9 years, I'm ready for a bit smaller sized sailboat again that can sleep 5-6 with one head.

Opinions are welcome concerning ketch or sloop? waves

Rodger
Ramjet60s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 07:11   #2

Re: ketch Fuji 35 or sloop Pearson 36?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet60s View Post
I've sailed since is was 16 and now retired at 66 I'm looking to get back into it here in the great PNW. Last yatch was a marvelous Pearson 43' sloop that had six foot four inch berths for 9 adults and a head on both port and starboard.

Kids are off raising the grandkids now and with my having been away from sailing for about 9 years, I'm ready for a bit smaller sized sailboat again that can sleep 5-6 with one head.

Opinions are welcome concerning ketch or sloop? waves

Rodger
Made some typo corrections.
Old 22-11-2015, 11:45   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and sailing again. I owned a Mariner 35 wooden ketch designed by Bill Garden. The Fuji 35 is much the same but has a fiberglass hull where mine was wood. My '67 model was built in Yokosuka and there were many delamination problems in cabin top, transom, cockpit and decks for many of the Mariners. Mine only had a bit in the transom which was easily repaired before I sold it in '86.
If the construction of the Fuji is all glass then it would be a toss up. The Pearson will outsail the Fuji though so if that is a priority then that's the way I'd go. Also if the Pearson is a sloop there is a lot less rigging to mess about with when it needs to be replaced.
I'd compare engines and accessories and condition of rigging. I like the old style of the Fuji and it it's a ketch the many sail options especially the mizzen staysail but I appreciate the performance of the Pearson.
Good luck in your decision.
Old 26-11-2015, 13:12   #4

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: Ketch Fuji 35 or Sloop Pearson 36?

Of all the boats I've ever had a Pearson 365 ketch is my favorite, hands down. With a max prop and good sails she balanced easily and just about did everything herself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-11-2015, 13:44   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

My brother had the Fuji...didn't like the way it sailed...really slow. Also just the wrong length for the chop in Juan de Fuca. It's cute but that's it. He dumped his for a Kettenberg (sp) 41 or 42 sloop. Much more boat, but wood. Had it for years...got a 40 something Jboat. Now the only way to keep him in sight is to leave a day ahead of time.:-)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 18:33   #6

Boat: Valiant 40-169

If you are going to stay in the PNW I would stay with the Pearson. All those so-called sail combinations of the ketch will not be needed 99.9% of the time you are sailing. A lot of extra standing and running rigging for nothing.

I was walking the dock one day and came across a boat that I thought looked particularly nice. "What make is this I said to the owner in the cockpit?". Pearson 365 he said. If you could get one of those you would be very satisfied I think.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 18:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordwedman View Post
If you are going to stay in the PNW I would stay with the Pearson. All those so-called sail combinations of the ketch will not be needed 99.9% of the time you are sailing. A lot of extra standing and running rigging for nothing.

I was walking the dock one day and came across a boat that I thought looked particularly nice. "What make is this I said to the owner in the cockpit?". Pearson 365 he said. If you could get one of those you would be very satisfied I think.
I've kept the Pearson 36 on my list and dropped the Fuji 35. I've added a C&C 39 and a Spencer 42-2... both are sloop's and all are here and within a similar asking price range.

Anyone have ideas about these 3 sloops?
Old 03-12-2015, 19:07   #8

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
I've kept the Pearson 36 on my list and dropped the Fuji 35. I've added a C&C 39 and a Spencer 42-2... both are sloop's and all are here and within a similar asking price range.

Anyone have ideas about these 3 sloops?
I think I would favour the Spencer over the C&C if they are the same price. I don't think C&C built many 39's so I think they might be experimental, so to speak. Spencer boats usually command a higher price than similar aged boats.
I know a couple with a Spencer 43 and that is a very nice boat. Currently in Panama.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 20:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and sailing again. I owned a Mariner 35 wooden ketch designed by Bill Garden. The Fuji 35 is much the same but has a fiberglass hull where mine was wood. My '67 model was built in Yokosuka and there were many delamination problems in cabin top, transom, cockpit and decks for many of the Mariners. Mine only had a bit in the transom which was easily repaired before I sold it in '86.
If the construction of the Fuji is all glass then it would be a toss up. The Pearson will outsail the Fuji though so if that is a priority then that's the way I'd go. Also if the Pearson is a sloop there is a lot less rigging to mess about with when it needs to be replaced.
I'd compare engines and accessories and condition of rigging. I like the old style of the Fuji and it it's a ketch the many sail options especially the mizzen staysail but I appreciate the performance of the Pearson.
Good luck in your decision.
Glad to be here. Appreciated your comments. Scratched the Fuji. Top three candidates at present are the 36' Pearson, a 39' C&C, and a 1966 42-2 Spencer. All sloop's and generally in the same asking price range and located here in the PNW. fyi

Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2015, 20:36   #10

Quote:
.....................All sloop's and generally in the same asking price range and located here in the PNW. fyi

Thoughts?
Condition, condition, condition.

You have to SEE each one, we can't tell from here.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch, pearson, sloop