Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 07:40   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Jack,

It is great that you have gone to the Bahamas, and I have complimented you on another forum for doing so. Your spirit to get up, and go is a beautiful spirit. I have been there, and done that myself. Just as many here have.

I am wondering if you use ice? If you do then wouldn't it be a pleasure to be able to walk over and just take some from the fridge? I remember carrying blocks of questionable ice from tiny stores in Mexico back to the dinghy to keep food cold. I truly appreciate clean reverse osmosis ice out of my fridge for my evening drink, or for some ice tea.

Things break, and even on less equiped boats they will break. Sooner, or later you yourself will be repairing something. I found myself hand steering, single-handed, for 2 days. because my autopilot broke. I beat into wind, and handsteered. I couldn't fix it, so instead of going another 600 miles beating. I returned that same 200 miles handsteering again downwind. Eventually something will break. Be it an ice maker, an autopilot, or a traveler.

Chances are you won't live the rest of your life on your current boat. Eventually you will want to take more with you to make life easier. Age does that to people. Us older folks like a wee bit more comfort. That doesn't mean we have lost our spirit of adventure. We too still love to get out there, but because we have earned the money. We usually don't go in the camping style you are living now.

I bet in 20 years you too will have an ice maker, and a larger salon. Just possibly more than one cramped berth, and a lot of extras that are your rewards for making the money. We are all equals here, and we are all going about it in different ways. Once again I must say I love your spirit for just going. You should enjoy, and be proud of your accomplishments. I do think it unfair to scorn me, or look down your nose at me, because I make my own ice.

When things go wrong out there. It just might be the guy with the ice maker that can, and will be willing to help you. I have helped more than one boat in my years of sailing. We explorers, and free spirits are a special breed. Most cannot understand why we do what we do. That is a good thing, or the anchorages would be extremely crowded. Enoy your time now. Youth is a wonderful thing, but it isn't forever. When you decide to move up in boat size, and gather more gear, and the day WILL COME. You will understand, and look back on your youth as a blessing.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:13   #17

Jack said he already has a fridge and sufficient solar panels to keep it running. This is a good achievement on a 25' boat with an outboard motor.

Of course, this means he's already fraternizing with the enemy. Next thing you know he'll have a hot water shower and a watermaker to keep it supplied.

There is a real community of cruisers in the Bahamas/Caribbean. When you go cruising, you become part of it whether you like it or not. You are automatically and unconditionally welcomed and accepted regardless of age, experience or boat/bank account size. You don't have to earn or prove anything - by definition you qualify for full comradery, assistance, and shared fun. Some people might think they couldn't live on your boat, but no one ever says that someone else's boat is no good or they shouldn't be cruising. If you're doing it, you and your boat are automatically good enough.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:45   #18

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
livingstone
One rule in life, don't let other people run your life.
Back in my crazy days, four of us would take our Sunfish, sail out of Biscayne and head over to the Bahama's. Looking back at it, maybe not the smartest thing we did, but we got to go to the Bahama's whenever we wanted. Find a spot and camp out whilr we were there. Course that was back in the 60's and things were a lot different over there.
ssullivav
Also, if you are talking about nicollej as being your girl friend, all the negative women must have been over there, because what I've seen on this forum was all positive for her. Like I said, don't let other people try to run your life.. Happy Sailing
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:16   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
Also, if you are talking about nicollej as being your girl friend, all the negative women must have been over there, because what I've seen on this forum was all positive for her. Like I said, don't let other people try to run your life.. Happy Sailing

I don't get it. Nicolle is Mark's girlfriend. He said some ladies on land were giving her a hard time about "throwing it all away." I was responding to his post. Maybe you misssed his post?

Anyway, Imagine2Frolic said (in a much more elegant way) what I was trying to say to Jack. There are some older guys on here who have done as much (or many times more) than what we younger guys have done. They deserve respect. I don't think Jack meant to be disrespectful, as he was probably addressing the "dreamer" more than the "been there, done that" crowd. Some of the items below are what made me post to Jack with the little friendly "don't forget these guys, even if they are not out right now."

*Gord's pictures of how paradise used to look.
*Picture of Del beating that drum in the bohemian days.
*Rick's knowledge of Xantrex products
*Hellosailor's obvious experience on (and under!) the water
*DefJef's experience on the water
*Chuck Baier's knowledge of brokerages, regulations and sailing
*Wheels' knowledge of so many boat systems and mechanical things in general.

Some of these guys are out there doing it, some are at home or working.

I could list about 50 others on this board with similar qualifications. They've either "been there and done that" or they have industry experience or are happy with coastal cruising now.

Jack didn't mean harm, you can tell that. He's just excited about discovering the freedom.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 13:06   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
Also, if you are talking about nicollej as being your girl friend,

She used to be my girlfriend.

Now I have to call her Fiasco... errr Fearsome... ummm Fiancée, thats it. Woe is me!

Here's her being question popped last week:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	321P0066 (1).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	2872  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 14:34   #21

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Yeah, I just posted the wrong names. thats what happens when get older and have excessive amounts of brain-farts..
Sorry for the mixup with the names..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 21:38   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Here's her being question popped last week:
How the hell did an ole fart like you score a looker like that ;-) I think she's a keeper Mark :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 22:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
How the hell did an ole fart like you score a looker like that ;-) I think she's a keeper Mark :-)
Well thats obviouse Wheels,carn't ya see Marks house in the background,hell,It's even got a walkway from the upper floor to accross the otherside of that wee river.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 00:58   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Struth blue, it's damn near as big as my house.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:16   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Dunno. She doesnt even drink. Nor take drugs. So I dunno.

Anyway, we are off tomorrow! Set to re-surface soon with some news

A new emoticon!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:23   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sulli,

Thanks for the compliment. No one can take anything away from Jack, and yes it is possible his new found excitement could have been expressed a little different. Heck he's there, and I am back at work setting plans for the South Pacific.

It always pays to listen, but you can purge what ever you want. He absolutely made the right choice by going. Life is meant to live, and when we die. Hopefully there will be few if not zero regrets.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote