Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2022, 19:16   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Is Hillsboro inlet safe in east wind?

I hope to head to Lake Worth from Biscayne bay Wednesday or Thursday. I’ve made this trip many times and find it a little long for this single-hander. Stopping in Hillsboro inlet would be a good break. Is this inlet safe to enter with 15 knots of SE wind?. I’m a 38’ monohull drawing 4 1/2’. Would like to hear from someone with local knowledge. Thanks, Tom
Tom1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 09:31   #2

Re: Is Hillsboro inlet safe in east wind?

I have a powerboat and have entered Hillsboro more than a dozen times in the past 6 months. Under power, the inlet channel is very well marked and easy to navigate. Deep water should not be an issue. Your real problem is going to be where to anchor. There is an anchorage in the basin before the draw bridge, but it is not going to be "still" because of the traffic going in and out 24-7.

There are few good anchorages both N and S after going through the bridge, with a nice area just south near a beach. There are few places to go ashore, and it's along walk to anything resembling a restaurant or store unless you go south to the boat ramp or one of the marinas just before Atlantic Ave. You could go north to the Lighthouse Point Yacht Club (a bit trickier, but doable).

If you can make Ft. Lauderdale, that entrance is 40'+ and there are tons of quality anchorages, marinas, etc. Facilities are much better.
Reel Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 11:20   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380

The inlet is not bad, but i have vowed not to spend another nite in that east basin. Traffic and unattended anchored boats…
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 06:38   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Thank you Reel love and T Karst. I made the trip from key biscayne to lake worth with out stopping. Favorable winds made it fast and fairly easy. Based on your comments, I’m glad I didn’t stop at Hillsboro basin. It doesn’t sound like the restful anchorage I was wanting.
Tom1340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind