Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2022, 12:10   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Is an all-in-one masthead light legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
To be legal in all conditions:
A. Masthead tricolor when sailing.
B. Masthead all around white when anchored.
C. Bow Bi-color or Red&Green sidelights PLUS masthead all around white (aka anchor light) when motoring.

As somebody that wants lights all around high & low I’m adding Amber LEDs, 2 each side and 2 on the stern corners. Amber is not a color used for any other purpose so it can’t be confused for lights of a different purpose.
note that (a) is optional its not required at all as bow lights , and stern light also cover A
Old 21-01-2022, 12:31   #17

I guess question becomes whether for a sailboat of less than 12m, it can run an all/around light at masthead as steaming light when sidelights are deck level. Having them split by 50-ish feet in height seems a bit unsafe. But what do the rules say? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220121-105450_Chrome.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	251673
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 12:37   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Option C is only legal on boats under 12 meters / 39 feet. Over that, you MUST have separate steaming and stern lights not an all around.
Correct. OP has a boat about 10m long.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 12:40   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
note that (a) is optional its not required at all as bow lights , and stern light also cover A
I gave the option with the fewest number of required fixtures which seemed to be what the OP was seeking.
Old 21-01-2022, 12:50   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I gave the option with the fewest number of required fixtures which seemed to be what the OP was seeking.
again A, B and C are not all needed together , so that is not the " fewest " required fixtures, in a boat that does motor as in the vast majority of yachts there is no need for side lights at the mast top
Old 21-01-2022, 13:03   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I guess question becomes whether for a sailboat of less than 12m, it can run an all/around light at masthead as steaming light when sidelights are deck level. Having them split by 50-ish feet in height seems a bit unsafe. But what do the rules say? Attachment 251673
The rules indicate very clearly that if machinery is being used to propel the boat it is considered a motor vessel and to be operated with lights appropriate for a vessel under power. This is true even if the sails are up and drawing.

The all around white is allowed to substitute for elevated “steaming” light and stern light for power vessels less than 12m. There is no COLREGS limitation on vertical separation.
Old 21-01-2022, 13:04   #22

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
My understanding is the masthead light can only be used if sailing only. If under any auxilliary power then cannot use it. It is best for when offshore only under sail as it is more visible.
I know what you mean, but you've got the terminology wrong. The MASTHEAD LIGHT is the white light showing from ahead to 225.5 deg abaft the beam on each side. Also known as the STEAMING LIGHT. It is usually not at the masthead on a sailboat, but would be on a lot of powerboats. It's to be shown when the boat is under mechanical population, in other words the engine is running. It is NEVER to be shown when under sail alone. It's the TRICOLOR that is to be shown only when sailing. The tricolor is at the masthead, but it is NOT the masthead light. This is a very confusing term for sailors because we all learned it wrong at first. Even the switches for the lights are labeled wrong on most sailboats.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 13:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
again A, B and C are not all needed together , so that is not the " fewest " required fixtures, in a boat that does motor as in the vast majority of yachts there is no need for side lights at the mast top
OP’s vessel is a sailboat. I assumed he would need to motor occasionally and so would need A, B or C at different times.
The arrangement I offered covers all 3 with 3 fixtures, 2 if tricolor and anchor light are a single fixture.
Old 21-01-2022, 13:09   #24

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
OP’s vessel is a sailboat. I assumed he would need to motor occasionally and so would need A, B or C at different times.
The arrangement I offered covers all 3 with 3 fixtures, 2 if tricolor and anchor light are a single fixture.

The tricolor isn't required for sailing, however. It's perfectly legal to sail with the deck level side and stern lights on, provided you turn off the steaming light.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 13:20   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The tricolor isn't required for sailing, however. It's perfectly legal to sail with the deck level side and stern lights on, provided you turn off the steaming light.
Tricolor is required when sailing if another option for navigation lights is not used. While sailing Options are:

1. Tricolor at masthead.
2. Bicolor at bow plus sternlight
3. Red & Green sidelights plus sternlight.
4. Bicolor at bow plus sternlight plus Red over Green all around lights (1m or 2m separation minimum (forget exact number))
5. Red & Green sidelights plus sternlight plus Red over Green all around lights (1m or 2m separation minimum (forget exact number))

Masthead (steaming) light may NOT be used with any of these.
Tricolor may NOT be used in conjunction with any of the other 4 options.
Old 21-01-2022, 13:24   #26

One of those instances where a picture is worth a thousand words.

Different light signals are deployed for when under power than for when operating under sail.

The tricolor is legal for its intended use only.

When you are sailing use signal lights as a sailing veseel. When you are motoring use signal lights as a powered vessel.

It is either one or the other but never both the tricolor at the top of the mast and the deck level bicolors.

The masthead goes on and the tricolor goes off when motoring.

Yes I have seen many a sailor motoring along with both signals on which clearly is a mis wired system, the switches should not permit such simultaneous configurations.

Very simple, if one knows the Colregs and wires the vessel properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailboat light signals.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	251677  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 13:33   #27

Graphic shows some of the options but not all.
Old 21-01-2022, 13:34   #28

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I guess question becomes whether for a sailboat of less than 12m, it can run an all/around light at masthead as steaming light when sidelights are deck level. Having them split by 50-ish feet in height seems a bit unsafe. But what do the rules say? Attachment 251673
The masthead/steaming light only needs to be one meter higher than the side lights but there is no upper limit on how high it may be. I think they are so often half to three quarters the way up so the light would not blind you if you also had a jib raised. But since the steaming light may only be used when the engine is running, it's less likely you'd have a jib up anyway. When I see a boat approaching with side lights and a very high masthead light showing I know it's probably a sailboat under power. The only difference in that is I know it's top speed is slow so if it's supposed to keep clear I don't expect it to do so quickly.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 13:48   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Correct. OP has a boat about 10m long.

Not about my boat. I'm good.

It's about boats I noticed at the last show with no side lights at deck level. Only a tricolor. Should have taken pictures and better notes.
Old 21-01-2022, 13:54   #30
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

5. Red & Green sidelights plus sternlight plus Red over Green all around lights (1m or 2m separation minimum (forget exact number))

Curiously, even the COLREGS illustration of that is daft. The lower light is not visible all-around, because the sail will block it and because it is too close to the mast to meet the angle restrictions. There would have to be one on each side, and even then the genoa will block it part of the time.

Tags
head, legal, mast