Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2018, 12:39   #16

Re: Induced heel for bridge clearance

Check your engine, too. Some manufacturers say that their engines should not be operated over X degrees of heel for more than X minutes.

Has to do with lubrication, I would think.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 14:50   #17

Boat: Hobie 33

We worked the Volvo RTW village in Melbourne, Australia. The fleet all had to heel almost 45 degrees to get in or out of the village. We were flabbergasted. If it was my boat, I wouldn’t do it.
iggybr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 16:05   #18

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggybr View Post
We worked the Volvo RTW village in Melbourne, Australia. The fleet all had to heel almost 45 degrees to get in or out of the village. We were flabbergasted. If it was my boat, I wouldn’t do it.
Hi, I am curious, most monohull sailing boats heel 30 to 45 degrees in a good blow so why would you not be prepared to induce a similar heel to clear a bridge ?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 16:26   #19

Boat: Hobie 33

Good point! We owned a Kettenburg 38 and she loved to sail with a rail buried. I guess watching the VOR boats canted with a line from the top of the mast was just cringe worthy. Sadly, in Melbourne this had to happen twice a day whenever the in port races took place and you couldn't see a thing from the village. $$$$ took over practicality.
iggybr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 20:16   #20

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, I am curious, most monohull sailing boats heel 30 to 45 degrees in a good blow so why would you not be prepared to induce a similar heel to clear a bridge ?

The sail distributes the heeling force over the entire mast rather than putting it all on the masthead (via a halyard). The stress distribution is different, and puts greater compression loads on the mast and greater tension loads on the opposing shrouds.

I'm still not sure I would ever do this at all, but I would certainly wouldn't try to pull a boat over to 45 degrees by the masthead.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 21:45   #21
Marine Service Provider

A friend tried it in Seattle, didn't work so good.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 23:58   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The sail distributes the heeling force over the entire mast rather than putting it all on the masthead (via a halyard). The stress distribution is different, and puts greater compression loads on the mast and greater tension loads on the opposing shrouds.

I'm still not sure I would ever do this at all, but I would certainly wouldn't try to pull a boat over to 45 degrees by the masthead.
On a ballasted sail boat you probably should not be out there sailing it if your rig cannot safely stand the load of heeling the boat over to 45 degrees or beyond.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 11:12   #23

I am trying to find out more about Induced heel for bridge clearance, but the documents shown are not available for me on the library computer I am using. Can someone tell me how to get the documents shown?
coppens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 11:26   #24

Dear Gonesail, regarding Okeechobee, the vendor there is not responding to phone calls. I have called vendor, Billy Owens, 561.262.5200 several times, with no return calls.
coppens1 is offline   Reply With Quote