Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 20:14   #31

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Help!! I am in distress, and I am waiting for a SAILBOAT to come to my rescue. Yeah!! right.
Well, on an ICW trip north just after leaving the deep creek lock on the Dismal Swamp Canal, we came on a big family drifting in their ski boat - had run out of gas. We were motoring, 3rd sailboat in line, so after passing them we mulled it over for a bit, then did a U-turn, threw them a line, and towed them a half mile or so to the ski boat ramp where they coasted in. Felt good to help them out.

For all the times as we've been cut off, waked, etc. by powerboaters, we've also been pulled off hard groundings twice by passing power boats, once in the Louisiana gumbo (you don't want to be stuck in that), and once in the canal between the Bay River and Goose Creek in North Carolina. We were quite grateful.

Seems we're all out on the water together, and its good we all help each other out.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:19   #32

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Liberty View Post
Well, on an ICW trip north just after leaving the deep creek lock on the Dismal Swamp Canal, we came on a big family drifting in their ski boat - had run out of gas. We were motoring, 3rd sailboat in line, so after passing them we mulled it over for a bit, then did a U-turn, threw them a line, and towed them a half mile or so to the ski boat ramp where they coasted in. Felt good to help them out.

For all the times as we've been cut off, waked, etc. by powerboaters, we've also been pulled off hard groundings twice by passing power boats, once in the Louisiana gumbo (you don't want to be stuck in that), and once in the canal between the Bay River and Goose Creek in North Carolina. We were quite grateful.

Seems we're all out on the water together, and its good we all help each other out.
"We may not all be in the same boat but we are all in the same ocean". P.E. Trudeau I believe.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:52   #33

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Liberty View Post
so after passing them we mulled it over for a bit, then did a U-turn, threw them a line, and towed them a half mile or so to the ski boat ramp where they coasted in. ....
As YOU threw them a line, doesn't that mean that under international salvage law, you could have claimed their vessel as salvage?
Old 11-12-2010, 16:47   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
A little bit of D.R. would work. Handheld compass with paper charts. A hand held GPS with some fresh batteries too. One thing I like about my laptop is the battery is still working when the lights go out. It will also run a D.R., an notify you when the last fix was if the GPS stops working..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote