Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 10:20   #1

Hydrovane steering system or Wind pilot

Anyone experience of either of the systems . Which is easier to use and which is most accurate and or obtrusive

Thanks

Derek
ironmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Hydrovane steering system or Wind pilot

I've got a WindPilot Pacific Plus on my boat. Has worked a charm including a DDW passage to Hawaii in moderate to light winds. Did make up an 8"x48" wind vane out of light weight corrugated plastic to increase light air/downwind sensitiviy.

Only negative is boat maneuverability in the marina. When not in use the WPP Rudder is fixed straight ahead and the boats rudder has a hard time getting the boat to turn from the straight and narrow. Rudder has zero effect in reverse and limited turning ability going forward. My boat has a long keel and a short rudder which makes maneuvering the boat in tight conditions a challenge without the vane. More maneuverable boats with more effective rudders and shorter turning radiuses might not have much of an issue.

I've hooked up lines to the WPP's vane so I can use the vane's rudder to help steer the boat in close quarters. That has really added to the maneuverability going forward but doesn't work in reverse. Actually usually steer the boat under power with the vane's rudder by pulling on the lines to the windvane.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydrovane, steering, wind